• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Here is another view of the relationship between the barrel and the ramp on the frame in a 45 1911. This shows the throat on the barrel is past the edge of the ramp on the frame. If that edge over hangs the frame ramp you have a sharp edge that can catch and stop a bullet keeping it from chambering. This barrel is throated for semi-wadcutters btw.

ramp2.jpg

A interesting note...this gun was shot with ball last and wasn't cleaned, the shiny area shows where the bullet contacts the ramp and as you can see it is a very narrow, small contact. With that small amount of contact area a ramp would have to have huge, sharp machine marks to prevent feeding. A common misconception is a ramped barrel is done to help feeding, not true. A ramped barrel allows more barrel to enclose the base of the round thus allowing higher pressures without blowing out the brass at the ejector cut. This way Major can be made with even 9mm in the 1911.

Here is a ramped 38 Super barrel in one of my 1911's, was hard to get a good pic due to the scope mount but you can see the barrel ramp extends in a cut in the frame all the way to the mag well...

ramp3.jpg

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    I got a Rock Island 1911 and when it feeds bullets in the chamber it scratches them all up and put big dents in the bullet and it pushes the bullet into the caseing I tried to poilsh the feed ramp with real fine sandpaper but its still doing it is this normal for a 1911 ? :ar15:
    I would send it back to the factory. Sounds as if your extractor could be too tight and the rim of the cartridge isn't sliding up under the hook, and the breach face on the slide is trying to force the cartridge in.

Fordmadman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    New Castle
    I'm probably going to have someone look at it if they don't charge a outrageous price last night I fed some rounds through it and it fed fine didn't hang up or nothing just it puts marks in the bullet and pushes the bullet into the casing and around the rim where the primer is it puts marks on it like someone took a knife and started putting cut marks on the rim of the bullet.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    OD may be correct and that it could be something as simple as your extractor tension. Disassemble your pistol and with the barrel out try to slide a case up into the breechface under the extractor just as if it was feeding out of the magazine. The case should slide under with some resistance but not too difficult. The extractor should hold the case in place as you rotate the slide, if case falls out then there is too little tension. In your case there may be too much if you have to really force the case into the extractor. This is hard to describe but something you learn to recognize with experience. Also check the extractor slot that the case rim slides into, there should be at least a little radius/angle from the factory that helps the case slide in but can usually be made better with a little judicious filing.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I'm probably going to have someone look at it if they don't charge a outrageous price last night I fed some rounds through it and it fed fine didn't hang up or nothing just it puts marks in the bullet and pushes the bullet into the casing and around the rim where the primer is it puts marks on it like someone took a knife and started putting cut marks on the rim of the bullet.

If you send it back, there's no charge at all and just a little over one week of turn-around for 100% fix. Just sayin'.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    With everything I've read, I'd chance saying "heck yeah"...but just call them and see for yourself.
    Office: 755.537.1444 (Arnel)
    Cell: 702.875.1201 (Ivan)

g3man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Try factory Colt mags or Kimber before sending it back. Are the mags seating all the way? Is there any play up and down when mag is seated?

Top Bottom