• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You have no idea what JMB would or would not approve of, had he access to modern CNC machine tools, advanced FR Polymers, and high grade alloys.

A modern JMB design would be MUCH closer to a Glock than you guys want to admit...

Pure speculation.
    He is not alive so we have what he left us.....:)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I resemble that remark.
    And he most definitely would not approve of your attitude.
    If JMB were alive today, he would stare disapprovingly.

Modern HiPowers have an external extractor. This is a departure from earlier models. I would have to research the history of the 1911, but I believe that JMB made design changes based upon the militaries requirement. I agree with Hohn, if JMB were with us today his designs would reflect the capabilities of modern manufacturing and requirements of his customers.

I can think of other departures from the original 1911. How about usable sights, extended beaver tails, full length guide rods?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Modern HiPowers have an external extractor. This is a departure from earlier models. I would have to research the history of the 1911, but I believe that JMB made design changes based upon the militaries requirement. I agree with Hohn, if JMB were with us today his designs would reflect the capabilities of modern manufacturing and requirements of his customers.

I can think of other departures from the original 1911. How about usable sights, extended beaver tails, full length guide rods?

I can agree to an extent. BUT....Modern day manufacturing doesn't put out the pure workmanship quality of the old master machinists. I understand it's got a lot due to cost cutting. Then again, from a personal standpoint...PLEASE give me a quality manufactured hand fitted piece from a master craftsman.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm in the market for another 1911. I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II and am in the market for a full size. I've recently bought a few sig pistols and love both of them (p224 and p226). I was looking a lot at sig 1911's but reading about them it seems a lot of people in the 1911 world seem to not like the external extractors. I was wanting pros and cons on 1911's with external extractors because having the two sigs with external extractors vs the kimber with internal I don't see what the external would hurt on the sig 1911?

You're hearing purists in an echo chamber.

There's a reason almost all modern firearms have an external spring tensioned extractor. Internal extractors on 1911s require bending to set the tension correctly, and some can need tuned from time to time. I don't think internal extractors feed as smoothly either, but that's just my personal experience.

Some 1911s got external extractors wrong, but I wouldn't worry yourself too much with that unless you're buying something fairly old.

I can agree to an extent. BUT....Modern day manufacturing doesn't put out the pure workmanship quality of the old master machinists. I understand it's got a lot due to cost cutting. Then again, from a personal standpoint...PLEASE give me a quality manufactured hand fitted piece from a master craftsman.

Human hands are not capable of as good of precision as top end CNC machines, if you want an example of other-worldly flawless fit, checkout cabot guns.

Top Bottom