• Poll closed .

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I say soot the snot out of it. It's been waiting too long to be used for its intended purpose. One other thought though; How much extra are you paying for it just because it's never been shot? You lose that amount by shooting it. If you are not paying anything extra, then there is no reason to keep it a safe queen.

Or, look at it this way. That gun has been saved for some lucky person that gets to experience a brand new pistol that's been around for a while. Each person that has owned that gun is doing a favor for the lucky person that finally gets to shoot it by paying their money, keeping their gun yet preserving that first shooting experience for some nameless person down the road. You can either be another person to preserve the gun for someone else or you can be that lucky someone that gets to enjoy it for what it was built for. When I buy a gun, it's because I want to be the person to shoot it. I don't buy guns to hold on to just so someone else can someday enjoy shooting them. When you see a couple of guns together and one has had the snot shot out of it and the other is pristine, the one that's been shot a lot is the better of the two. It has the patina of use.

You see the same thing in cars too. People buy a car and then do not drive it for fear of hurting its value. There is a guy in Indy that has a 90,000 plus mile Lamborghini. He drives the thing everywhere and has had it all over the country. There are other guys in Indy that have Lambos that sit in their garage and only get taken to a car show on nice Saturday mornings. Which of those two owners are getting their money's worth out of the car they bought.

My recommendation is to not be the guy that spends his money on something and then preserve it so that it can be enjoyed by someone else someday. If you are spending your money on it, enjoy it. If you want to preserve it for someone else to enjoy, then I hope to someday be the lucky guy that buys that gun from you.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    No 1911 should remain a virgin, so just shoot it.

NEWSFLASH!!

No 1911 (or any other gun) IS one.
    Do you know what kind of legal *nightmare* a company would have if they let an untested one out the door and something happened because of it??
    ALL firearms are shot before leaving the facility.
    So there... just shoot it. It's already been shot.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If you're going to buy that gun, I wouldn't shoot (soot?!) it.

On the other hand, I wouldn't buy a gun unless I was planning to shoot it.

This is me to. It's like cars. If I am going to buy say a 1970 Chevelle SS or a new Shelby Mustang I am going to drive the **** out of it. Donuts in parking lots, autocross, stoplight drag races, whatever. I would never own a car to let it sit in my garage or trailer to some car show.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is me to. It's like cars. If I am going to buy say a 1970 Chevelle SS or a new Shelby Mustang I am going to drive the **** out of it. Donuts in parking lots, autocross, stoplight drag races, whatever. I would never own a car to let it sit in my garage or trailer to some car show.

Oh yeah.................Black streaks going both ways out of the driveway.....................:woot:

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    I voted to shoot it but a gun is only new once and only the owner can decide when it's the right time for it to be fired.
    I strongly respect an owner's decision to hold on to a gun without shooting it and to leave it in new condition for posterity.
    I didn't know anything about the collet barrel bushing that the Colt 1911's of this era had.
    But thanks to the poll I do now.

Collet barrel bushings

1911Forum - View Single Post - ***The Official Colt Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Thread***

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    If you buy it, you probably won't ever sell it. So, SHOOT it! It's for you to enjoy!

If you are going to make an investment, then by some stock or bonds...

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I voted to shoot it but a gun is only new once and only the owner can decide when it's the right time for it to be fired.

Nerp.
    Like I said... they are ALL fired before they leave the factories or custom shops.
    So unless you are building it from scratch yourself, you don't have a "new unfired" gun and you don't get to make the decision when to fire it for the first time. Somebody else already did.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If it has accrued collectible value due to being preserved in new condition, it is financally un wise to shoot it. Maintain it as a collector investment. (And purchase a previously fired example to shoot)

Not everything old and unfired has collector value. I would check with various COLT collector societies for their opinion of value. If it is not a model that is worth significantly more unfired, Enjoy it at the range.

Should you buy it? YES, of course, a person cannot have too many firearms.

hvacrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Jay County
    Well I bought it. I will post pics tomorrow and do more research about it. It is my first Colt and second 1911. I can't wait to show it off and shoot it. Thanks for all of the input pics will be up tomorrow.

Top Bottom