1911-cocked, half cocked or butterscotch?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I dont know anything about 1911s, like you might tell from my questions. :D
    Can you carry with one in the chamber and hammer down and fire the gun like that?
    Like you would with a revolver in double action.
    Or do you need to have it cocked all the way back in order to fire, in what would be single action for a revolver?

That's not safe.
    To answer your question, you'd have to manually cock the hammer...
    And I've actually met an "instructor" who advocates carrying this way.
    Again, I'll stress - NOT SAFE.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That's not safe.
    To answer your question, you'd have to manually cock the hammer...
    And I've actually met an "instructor" who advocates carrying this way.
    Again, I'll stress - NOT SAFE.

It wouldn't be safe because if I drop the gun like that (hammer down and no safety) the gun could fire, as opposed to having the hammer cocked back that would prevent the gun from firing if I drop it with no safey on, right? :dunno:

Even though it's probably not the safest thing to drop any gun for that matter.

So the 1911 works like a single action revolver, and not like a double action right?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    It wouldn't be safe because if I drop the gun like that (hammer down and no safety) the gun could fire, as opposed to having the hammer cocked back that would prevent the gun from firing if I drop it with no safey on, right? :dunno:

Even though it's probably not the safest thing to drop any gun for that matter.

So the 1911 works like a single action revolver, and not like a double action right?

Drop question, right.

Revolver question, right, at least as far as the parts I think you're talking about.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Drop question, right.

Revolver question, right, at least as far as the parts I think you're talking about.

Im saying that with a double action revolver the hammer can be down and to cock it back you can either pull the trigger (it will cock it back and fire) or cock it back manually and then fire with a lighter trigger pull.
    Sorry if im not clear about it. :n00b:

So from what I understand the 1911 works more like a single action revolver were you have to manually cock the hammer back, you just cant pull the trigger to cock it back and fire when the hammer is down.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    For the record, this thread is a byproduct of my ignorance. No one suggested to half cock a 1911. I misunderstood the concept and didn't realize it described another safety feature.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Im saying that with a double action revolver the hammer can be down and to cock it back you can either pull the trigger (it will cock it back and fire) or cock it back manually and then fire with a lighter trigger pull.

So from what I understand the 1911 works more like a single action revolver were you have to manually cock the hammer back, you just cant pull the trigger to cock it back and fire when the hammer is down.

No, a 1911 is not a double action in any way. You can not pull the trigger to cock the hammer.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011

Correct.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    For the record, this thread is a byproduct of my ignorance. No one suggested to half cock a 1911. I misunderstood the concept and didn't realize it described another safety feature.

I think it's probably a pretty common question.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

:rockwoot:

Now I feel clever ... kinda.
    Im glad INGO is here, because if you learn all your gun knowledge from the movies you are screwed.
    I saw a guy cocking his Glock 17 in a TV show, he had his gun on the BG's head and it made a "cocking noise", even though he had a Glock and his thumb didn't move from the grip of the gun. :n00b: :):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, I'd almost... ALMOST go so far as to say I "never" cock the with my thumb, but in truth I've done it a few times on a few of them. Certainly not on all. Now I have to go check all of mine.

I am sure I have as well. I have experienced one AD (accidental discharge) with my first 1911 and have been so careful since that happened.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

That is the reason for this forum. I learn something every day on here. Either how to do, or not to do certain things.;)

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    half cock notches are a left over safety feature from when there were not firing pin blocks..
    many guns, not just 1911s, had them.. the idea was you could have a loaded chamber without the hammer resting on the firing pin, making the gun less likely to go off if dropped.. some guns will drop the hammer from half cocked when trigger pulled, some will not..

Top Bottom