1911-cocked, half cocked or butterscotch?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Three notches? On the hammer? Is it a non-standard design action? The true Colt 1911 design only has two notches on the hammer.

If you scroll back to the video, you'll see exactly what is meant.
    The 1911 featuring the three-notch hammer positions is a Springfield MilSpec.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Bummer

A dropped series 70 has the potential to ad if dropped muzzle first because of the inertia of the firing pin overcoming firing pin spring pressure.. It is just as probable as an ad on a 1911 with the gun on halfcock carry.... And contrary to popular belief the 1911 design wasn't only designed to be carried cocked and locked..... I don't believe the halfcock notch to be designed for any other purpose but an additional carry method.... If you look at many other JMB designs there is that additional notch above full rest to allow the hammer to rest off of the firing pin...... Don't need preached to about lowering the firing pin on a loaded chamber as I know the inherent risks.......

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    A dropped series 70 has the potential to ad if dropped muzzle first because of the inertia of the firing pin overcoming firing pin spring pressure.. It is just as probable as an ad on a 1911 with the gun on halfcock carry.... And contrary to popular belief the 1911 design wasn't only designed to be carried cocked and locked..... I don't believe the halfcock notch to be designed for any other purpose but an additional carry method.... If you look at many other JMB designs there is that additional notch above full rest to allow the hammer to rest off of the firing pin...... Don't need preached to about lowering the firing pin on a loaded chamber as I know the inherent risks.......

But you still didn't share the *reason* you choose to carry at the half cock notch...and I'm actually very curious.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    If you scroll back to the video, you'll see exactly what is meant.
    The 1911 featuring the three-notch hammer positions is a Springfield MilSpec.

I missed your video, thanks for pointing it out. I'm always keen to learn.

I'm guessing that MilSpec is just a name and not an actual fact. As in Military Specification. Not that such a thing has much significance now, since the military no longer uses the 1911. None the less that would seem to make it a "non-standard" design. Not meant to disparage, just as an observation.

I note that my Colt Combat Elite has 1/4 and full. The hammer is shaped as shown in Kuhnhausen, and will fall on 1/4 if the trigger is pulled. I also note that my Wilson Combat (kit, so to speak) has an additional shape to the hammer that is not in Kuhnhausen. I can not test it at this time as it's waiting for the frame to be blued and all the parts are in their original packages. I suspect that the additional "tooth" on the 1/4 notch will prevent the hammer from falling from that position, but obviously that's just a guess.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That wasn't him cocking the Glock, that sound was him flicking the safety!

No it was in an episode of Criminal Minds, it was clearly the sound of a hammer being cocked.
    I wish I could find the clip of but I dont even know in which episode or even season it was. :dunno:

Oh, and Tom where are my 50 bucks for your new sig lines? :):

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Im sorry

That I didn't give extreme detail as to why I choose to carry half cocked at times...!!!! I have twin 5 year olds and a 4 month old.... I'm constantly getting bumped, tapped, picking up kids or otherwise playing and the chances are verylikely the safety could get flicked off.... Ambi style.... Otherwise at times there a a few 1911's about the house out of children's reach of course that are in the same state of battery.... I find it easy to cock them as drawn of nessessary... Also if the gun is retrieved by someone and they attempt to use it against me it is unlikely they will be familiar with the platform rendering the gun useless except as a club!!!!!!!!!!!........... Tim

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    A dropped series 70 has the potential to ad if dropped muzzle first because of the inertia of the firing pin overcoming firing pin spring pressure.. It is just as probable as an ad on a 1911 with the gun on halfcock carry....

Agreed.

And contrary to popular belief the 1911 design wasn't only designed to be carried cocked and locked.....

My understanding is that cocked and locked is primary, though obviously not only. That certainly doesn't preclude other methods of carry. Of course since I/we can not ask Mr. Browning, his intent must remain an unknown, unless of course you know of something he wrote that would put this issue to rest.

I don't believe the halfcock notch to be designed for any other purpose but an additional carry method....

Perhaps, but in the original design it would appear that the hammer will fall if the trigger is pulled, since this is an unblocked 1/4 carry notch. My Colt's failure to remain in the 1/4 cocked position when the trigger is pulled may be a result of the trigger set-screw position, I don't really know but will endeavor to find out.

If you look at many other JMB designs there is that additional notch above full rest to allow the hammer to rest off of the firing pin......

And a fine idea, no doubt. Kuhnhausen refers to this notch as a safety notch, though my Colt, as a Series 80 is apparently not captive. Perhaps the Wilson, which is pre-70 may be.

Don't need preached to about lowering the firing pin on a loaded chamber as I know the inherent risks.......

Sorry, I do not mean to preach. I'm merely mentioning things that appear to be issues, at least for me personally. In fact, I'm far more interested in learning than preaching.

If you feel that you can draw and cock as quickly and smoothly as you can draw and release the safety, or more so, then doubtless that method of carry is superior for you. I, on the other hand, will remain with cocked and locked since I can unlock the safety during draw quite smoothly and without affecting draw, while drawing and cocking would take total retraining.

Again, no flame, no preach, just conversation. I am a student, not an authority.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Bummer

Thanks for being courteous and not flaming me!!! There are alot of folks on this forum that believe there is but one way to carry a 1911 and that is only cocked and locked because they read that in a book by cooper or ayoob and to them that is the bible, but in the real world I feel it is a very personal issue that one must decide upon and that is one of the reasons I love the platform.... Tim

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I'm constantly getting bumped, tapped, picking up kids or otherwise playing and the chances are verylikely the safety could get flicked off....

Just curious...Have you ever just holstered an empty/unloaded 1911 fully cocked and locked - just to test your theory (about getting bumped and knocking the safety off) ?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That I didn't give extreme detail as to why I choose to carry half cocked at times...!!!! I have twin 5 year olds and a 4 month old.... I'm constantly getting bumped, tapped, picking up kids or otherwise playing and the chances are verylikely the safety could get flicked off.... Ambi style.... Otherwise at times there a a few 1911's about the house out of children's reach of course that are in the same state of battery.... I find it easy to cock them as drawn of nessessary... Also if the gun is retrieved by someone and they attempt to use it against me it is unlikely they will be familiar with the platform rendering the gun useless except as a club!!!!!!!!!!!........... Tim

Dont assume criminals cant use guns.
    Some of them are actually smart, they do know about guns and they can read those PUBLIC forums like the rest of us.
    Im not familiar with the platform like you say, I never shot a 1911 but I just learned from that thread how to cock it in order to fire it. :dunno:
    The best thing to prevent someone from using your gun against you is to use weapon retention techniques and not letting them get to your gun, that or having it locked in a safe.

:twocents:

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    No worries

Jet girl, I'm using my iPhone right now so no keys to wear out!!! Lol!! Btw I'm packing a subcompact 1911 in a coat pocket on halfcock as I post this... I wouldnt do that cocked and locked w/o a holster....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I use a Blackhawk holster with the retention device to keep the gun in place un-less I choose to pull it out and use it. I have several holsters but this one is the best for carrying a single stack mag 1911. My Hi-Cap stagger mag Para's will not fit in this holster. The safety is clear from being nudged or knocked about. I carry my piece in the cocked and locked condition 1.
    Answer to I (heart) Guns---If you do not understand the Blackhawk release system the gun is near impossible to get free of the holster. The holster has a nice retention to the belt/pants as well. I struggle to get it off my belt myself and I understand it. BG is in for a serious pounding if he tries to get my piece.

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Have you ever just holstered an empty/unloaded 1911 fully cocked and locked - just to test your theory (about getting bumped and knocking the safety off) ?

Jet girl, I'm using my iPhone right now so no keys to wear out!!! Lol!! Btw I'm packing a subcompact 1911 in a coat pocket on halfcock as I post this... I wouldnt do that cocked and locked w/o a holster....

So was that a "yes", "no", or "maybe"?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I am curious if the titanium pins with heavy springs, ala SR 1911, changes the equation any as far as hammer down on round in chamber?

If it is a modern production gun , IE a series 80 type, then it will have a firing pin block..
    the firing pin will not be able to move forward at all unless the trigger is pulled..

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy

I have no experience with ambi-safeties except on an FNH Five-seveN, which is in a completely different position from the 1911. I have to wonder how easily any 1911 safety could be accidentally deactivated. Of course, I do not know and am not making any form of judgement. Just musing.

I've often wondered just how much knowledge any ill meaning attacker might have about weapons in general. The guy who robbed me a couple of years back would have done best had the sights been mounted on the side of his gun. Of course he wouldn't have been using them even then, since he was holding his saturday night special at waist level half hidden by the stuff he was carrying. I doubt he'd even know that either of my common carry pistols has a safety, though as Sylvain suggests, I'm not going to press the issue. BTW, that robbery is what got me back into handguns after a number of years without. At two years since returning, I know I'm still learning.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I am curious if the titanium pins with heavy springs, ala SR 1911, changes the equation any as far as hammer down on round in chamber?

If the 1911 is a pre-80 series the issue, as I have seen it discussed, is one of what happens if the weapon is dropped and lands on the hammer. In that case it doesn't matter what the pin is made of, the whack on the hammer fires the primer. (At least that's the argument.)

This has been the first discussion I've seen of a barrel first drop. I have no idea if the inertia imparted on any firing pin would be enough to fire the primer in that circumstance.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    If the 1911 is a pre-80 series the issue, as I have seen it discussed, is one of what happens if the weapon is dropped and lands on the hammer. In that case it doesn't matter what the pin is made of, the whack on the hammer fires the primer. (At least that's the argument.)

This has been the first discussion I've seen of a barrel first drop. I have no idea if the inertia imparted on any firing pin would be enough to fire the primer in that circumstance.

Call me skeptical on the inertia piece. Many good holsters make it very difficult to accidentally disengage the safety from the ambi side by locking it in place on the strong side.

Top Bottom