1911-cocked, half cocked or butterscotch?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    It would seem that the heavier part (grip with a mag full of ammo) would gravitate downward, pointing the barrel upward. :dunno:

A pointed down 1911 could be dropped when out of a holster, and dropped on the barrel end-from the firing hand 2-3 feet above the pavement, oops!

Anyone that only has their 1911 out of the holster over carpet, gravel, or dirt, might be a very low risk (of dropping on a hard surface) exception, or the owner that would never-ever drop a loaded handgun (sure, and you'll never grow old, either?).

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    If it is a modern production gun , IE a series 80 type, then it will have a firing pin block..
    the firing pin will not be able to move forward at all unless the trigger is pulled..

This confuses me. Aren't there are current production 1911's without a firing pin block? The Ruger SR1911 comes to mind as one that I think has no firing pin block.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Call me skeptical on the inertia piece.

I am too. I would be surprised if the firing pin would even mark the primer, but I really can't say for sure.

Many good holsters make it very difficult to accidentally disengage the safety from the ambi side by locking it in place on the strong side.

I carry my 1911 in an Israeli made shoulder holster that is made of two parts. The portion the gun inserts into swivels upon draw. The top portion attaches to that side's shoulder strap and completely covers the back of the slide, hammer, and safety, leaving only the handle exposed. It has two snaps that hold it securely in place. There's no way the safety can be deactivated while it's in the holster, but one need only grab the handle and pull to draw the gun. A flick of the thumb on the way out and it's ready.

At any rate, I certainly can't fault him for considering the problem. I have a five year old grandson who lives with me, so I can understand the issues related to rambunctious small people.

It would seem that the heavier part (grip with a mag full of ammo) would gravitate downward, pointing the barrel upward. :dunno:

I was going to agree, but I stopped to do some entirely unscientific testing. I just dropped my Colt Combat Elite with 8 rounds in the magazine (none in the chamber) about four feet onto my bed. Every time the gun dropped in exactly the position from which I let it go. If it starts down barrel first it would appear it'll land barrel first.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    This confuses me. Aren't there are current production 1911's without a firing pin block? The Ruger SR1911 comes to mind as one that I think has no firing pin block.

it could be made without a firing pin block, but i am shocked if a lawsuit weary company like ruger would make any handgun without a pin block..

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy

Absolutely. I have a buddy with a Rock Island Arms 1911 that's pre-70. Also the Wilson Combat I'm building is a pre-70. (Same parts they use for a current Supergrade.) I think the comment related to modern design rather than current construction.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I just went and got my Kimber- It has a firing pin block that is released by the rear grip safety. The "half cock" position is a safety that stops the hammer from falling if your thumb slips while cocking. The manual states that using this as a half cock position could damage the sear and/or result in AD.

Top Bottom