• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Kimbers can be very good. Just like redheads. But when they're bad, they can be VERY VERY bad. Just like redheads. They just need to spend more time checking them over before shipping them out. I worked at a shop in the 90s and we sold mostly Springfields. Lots of them. We never had one come back to us or sent one back to the factory. I don't know if the current production is as good now.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    1)
    Understood, but why risk MIM parts at all? Why not simply carry a brand that has NO parts made out of MIM metal?

Until I have an issue with a MIM part I won't even think about it. Any of the MIM parts that do get replaced will be for my own preference and not because they are MIM, like a new thumb safety (I'm a lefty).

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    When a manufacturer makes a decision to utilize MIM for many of the small parts we the consumers need to ponder "WHY"? And the answer is because it reduces their costs. All well and good. Does MIM make a better part than one that is forged/cast and machined? Nope. Just cheaper. If the manufacturer is able to build their product at a lower price will they give you any break on the price you pay? Not from what I am seeing in the market. Want to know why polymer framed guns are so prevalent on the market? It's most definitely not because they are better (or even lighter, though that is a whole 'nother discussion). They're much cheaper to make than machining out a frame. Are polymer guns considerably less expensive or offer any advantage over a steel gun? Not from what I have seen. Once a manufacturer has spent the money to tool up for injection molding the price for the finished gun should MUCH lower than a steel one. But it's not. The most amazing thing to me over the last 15 years in the gun industry is how they have succeeded in brainwashing the consumers to believe that these cheaply manufactured guns are somehow better than what was available before polymer and MIM and that a striker fired DA pistol with a double stack magazine is somehow better/safer than a single pistol. People apparently can be made to believe anything. If consumers did not buy into this marketing tripe and consume these guns they would stop making them.

Last edited:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Springfield armory has no MIM? Not sure why, but the kimber feels like the highest quality in my hands, even over SA, SW, or Remington. I was wondering if it'd be worth taking a kimber and replacing MIM parts with solid pieces.

Another thought, how about getting a good smith to build me a 1911? How much would I expect to pay to go this route? I'm not talking Wilson combat or nighthawk, way too much for my blood.

Would still like to have my questions answered, if anybody want to chime in that has experience with this.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Is it worth it on the kimber? Up to you. People do it. You can replace the mim stuff. If you have a gun you love, do it. Also, if it's a BBQ gun, not a gun you'll bet your life on, who cares if it has mim parts?

On custom... I don't know of any smiths who will do you a full custom for less than a nighthawk or Wilson gun, especially if you're patient and wait on a nice deal on a cherry used Nhc or Wilson (or brown or Baer or volkmann...). Might be out there, but certainly not the well-known guys. Maybe a newer smith or local guy trying to build a reputation.

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    What has always interested me is the number of people who would rather have the new .45 ACPs versus trying out ones made 30, 40, 50 years ago. The build quality on the older models generally feels so much better to me than the new models. My old dinosaur handles better than almost any other of those $1K+ modern guns, and I already own it. Seriously, do not underestimate the reliability and value of an older piece.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Would still like to have my questions answered, if anybody want to chime in that has experience with this.

i believe that the SA production guns do use some MIM, but not as much as Kimber. Regardless, I would take an "NM" Loaded and above over any Kimber all day long. The TRP is arguably the best production 1911 out there, and with SA's killer CS department and warranty...forgetabout it.

As for having a smith make you a 1911, be prepared to pay. I would expect it to cost about what Ed Brown or Wilson would charge; both guys are 1911 smiths who use top-notch parts. If MIM bugs you, buy a Colt and swap out the 2 or so MIM parts.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    It's the same argument to me as mil-spec vs. non mil-spec. Tons of people report no problems while others say they do have problems. If I get shot and die because a MIM parts happened to break in the process of me drawing to fire then so be it but I'm not going to NOT buy a pistol because others don't like MIM parts.

Again, I haven't had an issue so I don't see the need for me to replace anything or buy another brand.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    It's the same argument to me as mil-spec vs. non mil-spec.
    Uh, not even close to the same argument.

Mil-spec is a very specific designation for a specific purpose. For example, the government specs out chrome lined barrels. They do so because the soldiers may be in conditions where they may not be able to clean their weapon properly and the chrome resists corrosion. There is no problem with cleaning your gun here in Indiana so there is no specific need for chrome unless you simply want it.

That is very much different than MIM versus non-MIM. MIM is clearly inferior for any part that is under any sort of stress. For example, a plunger tube made of MIM is something that would be, to my mind, acceptable because that is not a stress part. But a grip safety that is MIM is not acceptable because the gun may fail if the part fails and since I had one of those break in my hand, I can't be convinced that its not critical.

Your argument is simply flawed. You are trying to justify that which cannot be justified and using a false argument to support your position.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    Uh, not even close to the same argument.

Mil-spec is a very specific designation for a specific purpose. For example, the government specs out chrome lined barrels. They do so because the soldiers may be in conditions where they may not be able to clean their weapon properly and the chrome resists corrosion. There is no problem with cleaning your gun here in Indiana so there is no specific need for chrome unless you simply want it.

That is very much different than MIM versus non-MIM. MIM is clearly inferior for any part that is under any sort of stress. For example, a plunger tube made of MIM is something that would be, to my mind, acceptable because that is not a stress part. But a grip safety that is MIM is not acceptable because the gun may fail if the part fails and since I had one of those break in my hand, I can't be convinced that its not critical.

Your argument is simply flawed. You are trying to justify that which cannot be justified and using a false argument to support your position.

I'm talking about if I was buying an AR here, I wouldn't avoid a brand or product because it didn't have a mil-spec part in it. Same thing with a MIM part. I (recurring them here) haven't had an issue with a MIM part so I don't see the need to avoid a brand because they use them.

This whole time I've been talking about my experiences. If others prefer non MIM parts then so be it. I haven't had an issue with them and will continue to trust my Kimber to do it's job when needed.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    To go with any company that does not use MIM parts(Ed brown, les Baer, nighthawk, wilson combat, etc) is going to cost at least $2,000+ with my quick research.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    To go with any company that does not use MIM parts(Ed brown, les Baer, nighthawk, wilson combat, etc) is going to cost at least $2,000+ with my quick research.

Baers can be had for less than that, even new. Not an srp, or something... But if you're patient, you can definitely get a Baer or brown for less than $2k. Wilson and NHC don't get below $2k that often, even used. Maybe the newer Wilson x-tac...?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    To go with any company that does not use MIM parts... is going to cost at least $2,000+ with my quick research.

Nope. But look at the gun and the MIM parts used.

A mainspring housing, magazine release button or plunger tube can be made of MIM parts and those are not stress parts.

On the other hand, ejectors, hammers, slide releases and various safeties . . . those are parts that are subject stress and or repeated pounding.

FWIW, Detonics has 1911 pistols in the $700 to $1000 range and they don't use any MIM parts. They also have more expensive models. So I'd say your quick research needs to be a bit more thorough.

gajones06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    I use to carry a full size RIA 1911A1 IWO with a galco summer comfort holster. I say go for it!

Top Bottom