• ...and so much more!
  • ztnoo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2015
    Kekionga-Ouiatenon
    132-year-old rifle found leaning on tree in Nevada park

Rusted, 132-year-old Winchester rifle found against tree in Nevada national park | Fox News

winchesterpic1.jpg

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I can't believe that in a 132yrs that the tree didn't claim the barrel... Meaning the barrel didn't grow into the tree after all them years.... Strange !!!

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Winchester 73

How long could it have been there? In reality it may have only been leaning against that tree for 20 years. Probably more but who knows. Some kid could have taken Great Grandpa's antique, mint condition, Winchester 73 out hunting much more recently than what many are implying.

Wouldn't the tree have grown around the rifle to some extent. I know the trees around my house grow around things.

Last edited:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Cool find, and story......but, just because the rifle is 130 years old, doesn't mean it's been there that length of time.

I said that when I first saw the picture. I clicked on the link on Facebook….lots of good stories….one guy said he found a old rifle a few years ago leaning up against a tree. He wondered why someone one leave it. He started scouting around and found a human skeleton with a moose skelton and its antlers against the human skeleton. He figured a hunter shot the moose, thought it was dead and leaned up the gun and then moose with last of its life charged and killed him.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    LOL Have you ever found any animal remains after they have died --years latter ?
    There are lots of stories of hunters shooting game and leaning their rifles up against a tree and gutting the animal and cut it up ,back it out ,to find they forgot their rifle , then go back and cant find the spot they were at .. Yes I know it sounds funny /strange , but stranger things have happen .

That makes sense. Yeah, I doubt there'd be an entire skeleton lying about...maybe about all they'd find is a few bone fragments. The hunting thing makes sense as well. We don't know when that gun was left there but whoever left it, you'd imagine that would represent a fair amount of money to them--I would have to imagine you'd be pretty intent on something else to go off and leave something of value behind.

We'll likely never know...but it is interesting to think about.

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    You would be amazed at how the high desert can preserve things. I was stationed at Fallon, NV back in the 90's and found a silver mine that looked like it had been mined yesterday but newspapers found inside dated to the 70's. Found unblasted dynamite, det cord, blasting caps, etc. Took Navy EOD out to the site a few weeks later and they demo'ed the stuff to make it safe. The high desert will preserve things better than you would expect.

Top Bottom