• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Now That's a cool story. Makes you wonder. What could happen to cause someone to walk off from their rifle and never return? Animal attack? Heart attack? If so, they may find some bones nearby. If a person was able to return to retrieve it - or a family member - surely they would have. $25 was a lot of money.

​"INDIANS"

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Awesome find! And now....the REST of the story....:
    Jeremiah Johnson eventually traded in his Hatchet Jack's .50 cal. Hawken for this more modern shootin' iron. Jeremiah finally met his match against 6 Injuns, who left his rifle as a monument to their victory. Forensic analysis of nearby coyote :poop: will reveal the last organic traces of Johnson.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    This is pretty interesting, though I doubt the reason it was left is interesting. Never know though. I don't see Indians being the cause, in the late 1880's in that part of the country, though I could be wrong. Like jamil said probably just some simple everyday occurrence that left the rifle there.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    132-year-old Winchester found propped against a tree in a National Park

132-year-old Winchester rifle found propped against tree in Great Basin National Park | WTVR.com

s041996081-300.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I can't imagine just leaning a rifle against a tree and walking off. I can imagine leaning it against a tree and unexpectedly kicking the bucket, via heart attack, unfriendly bear, etc. They should look for remains nearby.

(The article's headline is goofed up - it's an 1873 Winchester, made in 1882 according to the serial number.)

That's exactly what I told my wife as I was telling her about this story.

Shadow

AKA: Uncle Shadow
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    In the shadows
    That's exactly what I told my wife as I was telling her about this story.

LOL Have you ever found any animal remains after they have died --years latter ?
    There are lots of stories of hunters shooting game and leaning their rifles up against a tree and gutting the animal and cut it up ,back it out ,to find they forgot their rifle , then go back and cant find the spot they were at .. Yes I know it sounds funny /strange , but stranger things have happen .

Top Bottom