• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    The parents should have the final say. If she were my daughter, she would no longer be within the borders of that state. Not that I would ever have lived in CT to begin with.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Wow. Sometimes I have these weird moments when I think justice might prevail. I should know better.

Don't worry Rambone, DCS in Indiana is so understaffed and overworked that you will get celebrate "freedom" plenty this year. Just like in 2014, too many kids will die waiting for a caseworker to work on their CINS case. Guess that's just the cost of liberty.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Don't worry Rambone, DCS in Indiana is so understaffed and overworked that you will get celebrate "freedom" plenty this year. Just like in 2014, too many kids will die waiting for a caseworker to work on their CINS case. Guess that's just the cost of liberty.

How many times are you going to make the same nasty comment? You feel like fighting?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    One of the articles said the girl felt that the chemo drugs would do more damage than the cancer, she feared her quality of life would be greatly reduced stating life is not about quantity but quality. I fail to understand how having a not very fun several months of chemo is worse than dying?

The girl was also home schooled.... So she has not had the opportunity to form her own opinions and beliefs at all. That would explain why she parrots her insane mothers opinions like they are gospel. Here is an interesting little article on home schooling, I think the Germans have it right on this one.... Homeschooling international status and statistics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The reasoning behind this law is sound and if used in the US it would have more than likely changed the girls opinions on Chemo for the better.

I want to know why people in this country still do not accept modern medicine the "alternate" treatments are a joke at best and scams at worst just ask Steve Jobs how well they worked out for him.

According to the Hartford Courant, Cassandra is being home-schooled and is considered a senior, and has been diagnosed with “stage 3/4″ Hodgkin’s lymphoma. - See more at: Connecticut Teen Taken Away from Mother and Physically Forced to have Chemotherapy

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    While it is possible that the girl sees no other humans besides her family, the likelihood is small. You've succumbed to the mistaken idea that homeschooled children are in some way inferior or are lacking in perspective, and the evidence I've seen and others will likely present (I would, but at the moment, I'm posting from an ambulance, driving on the highway... and no, I'm not driving! :-p) indicates that homeschooled children, esp. in co-ops, tend to be better rounded, and possessed of more diverse viewpoints, certainly moreso than those in the government's indoctrination centers.

As for the idea that modern, allopathic medicine is the only viable option, you have a right to choose only those methods, if you wish. You do not have the right to require that others accept your beliefs. If the chemo made her feel sicker, she has the right to choose not to undergo it. This is self-determination at its most basic level- the right to choose whether you, yourself, live or die. How dare anyone try to take that right from another?

No, actually, let's make that last question a little more direct: How dare you try to enforce your will on another human being just because their decision does not conform to yours?

Bleessings,
    Bill

One of the articles said the girl felt that the chemo drugs would do more damage than the cancer, she feared her quality of life would be greatly reduced stating life is not about quantity but quality. I fail to understand how having a not very fun several months of chemo is worse than dying?

The girl was also home schooled.... So she has not had the opportunity to form her own opinions and beliefs at all. That would explain why she parrots her insane mothers opinions like they are gospel. Here is an interesting little article on home schooling, I think the Germans have it right on this one.... Homeschooling international status and statistics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The reasoning behind this law is sound and if used in the US it would have more than likely changed the girls opinions on Chemo for the better.

I want to know why people in this country still do not accept modern medicine the "alternate" treatments are a joke at best and scams at worst just ask Steve Jobs how well they worked out for him.

According to the Hartford Courant, Cassandra is being home-schooled and is considered a senior, and has been diagnosed with “stage 3/4″ Hodgkin’s lymphoma. - See more at: Connecticut Teen Taken Away from Mother and Physically Forced to have Chemotherapy

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

A good amount of people die from the "cure" rather than the cancer. They do everything the doctors recommend, live in agony for a few months, watch their hair fall out, and then die. They sacrifice their entire quality of life, missing out on valuable time with their families. Instead they are bedridden, weak, and nauseous. Who knows how many years they might have lasted without poisoning their bodies and wiping out their immune systems.

The choice is completely personal. Reasonable people can definitely reach the "no chemo" conclusion.

Umm. The German ban on homeschooling comes from the Nazi era. Hitler didn't want kids to miss out on all the valuable propaganda the government had for them.

Losing the ability to teach your own children is a total blow to personal freedom. Incidentally it creates a lot of "parrots" all the same.

Steve Jobs? Months before his death he was weakening his body with chemo, radiation, and surgery. How well did that work out for him?

Oh, well... that's different.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Cancer experiences aren't a one size fits all. My father did the chemo and radiation bit and beat it once. I believe he got several more years of life than I think he would have if he had not done it. Then it came back. He managed for awhile on chemo then went down hill quickly. His last year of life was miserable. I wish he would have quit it long before he did but even as his medical power of attorney, I let him continue to make those decisions even when his doctors wanted my brother and I to pull the plug.

I know of another lady that fought and beat breast cancer. I think she quit going to her screenings because she said she will never go through it again.

In each of those cases, the choices were made by those individuals. I've been on the receiving end of know it alls questioning choices my brother and I made for our parents. They got to sit in judgement of us while they got to go home and wash their hands of any consequences of their desired choices. Choices are easy when they cost you nothing.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So... looks like there's a consensus supporting "Right to Die." That's kinda cool to see on INGO. We should support legislation for doctor-assisted suicide, then. I mean, people who are disabled should have the same right to die as able-bodied people. (I think that's in the ADA - reasonable accommodation or somesuch.)

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    While I abhor the state stepping in in this fashion and acting as they did, it is worth noting that Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma has an 85% survival rate. With chemotherapy. Without chemo you will almost certainly die. It's not the flu. Yeah, chemo sucks. No-one would say otherwise, (certainly not I, as I have had 2 family members go through it to beat cancer), but sometimes medicine is bitter and has side effects. In this case the mother and daughter chose poorly. If it were my child, they'd be undergoing chemo to beat this treatable disease.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    In this case the mother and daughter chose poorly.
    Can we really say that yet? 85% is less than 100%. She could still die, and have a sucky end of her life. In fact, it will likely be more painful than "the other way."

If it were my child, they'd be undergoing chemo to beat this treatable disease.
    What if the state took that choice away from you?

Remember, the power to force the treatment means the same power to withhold the treatment.

Just sayin.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I guess this tactic only works with abortions when the girl is underage.

B355_myBodyMyChoice.png

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Can we really say that yet? 85% is less than 100%. She could still die, and have a sucky end of her life. In fact, it will likely be more painful than "the other way."

What if the state took that choice away from you?

Remember, the power to force the treatment means the same power to withhold the treatment.

Just sayin.

Again. I do not want the state involved, as I said. I cannot see any circumstances where the state would step in and deny treatment, so a no treatment vote from them would be highly unlikely and one I would be willing to bet would be beaten in court, quite easily.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    When it comes to the state denying cancer patients the treatments that they seek, that's accomplished by the FDA, DEA, and your local Narcotics Task Force. Go get em, boys.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    When it comes to the state denying cancer patients the treatments that they seek, that's accomplished by the FDA, DEA, and your local Narcotics Task Force. Go get em, boys.

With the ascension of the Affordable Care Act, it also depends on who's buying. If someone doesn't have private insurance, treatments can be withheld for cost reasons.

Top Bottom