• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    The girl was also home schooled.... So she has not had the opportunity to form her own opinions and beliefs at all. That would explain why she parrots her insane mothers opinions like they are gospel. Here is an interesting little article on home schooling, I think the Germans have it right on this one.... Homeschooling international status and statistics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The reasoning behind this law is sound and if used in the US it would have more than likely changed the girls opinions on Chemo for the better.

I have several choice words for this, but I am having trouble phrasing anything that won't get me banned.

Suffice it to say that I am thankful that you and your kind aren't yet allowed to steal and indoctrinate my children by force, as Hitler did.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    One of the articles said the girl felt that the chemo drugs would do more damage than the cancer, she feared her quality of life would be greatly reduced stating life is not about quantity but quality. I fail to understand how having a not very fun several months of chemo is worse than dying?

The girl was also home schooled.... So she has not had the opportunity to form her own opinions and beliefs at all. That would explain why she parrots her insane mothers opinions like they are gospel. Here is an interesting little article on home schooling, I think the Germans have it right on this one.... Homeschooling international status and statistics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The reasoning behind this law is sound and if used in the US it would have more than likely changed the girls opinions on Chemo for the better.

I want to know why people in this country still do not accept modern medicine the "alternate" treatments are a joke at best and scams at worst just ask Steve Jobs how well they worked out for him.

According to the Hartford Courant, Cassandra is being home-schooled and is considered a senior, and has been diagnosed with “stage 3/4″ Hodgkin’s lymphoma. - See more at: Connecticut Teen Taken Away from Mother and Physically Forced to have Chemotherapy

You are amusing. What makes you think kids in public schools form more independent beliefs than home school kids? Under YOUR theory, all they would do is parrot back what their public school teachers teach them. That's no more independent.

As the father of 4 home school kids, one being a month older than the girl in this story, I know that my 17 year old questions my beliefs at times and researches issues and forms his own beliefs. Even if they turn out being very similar to mine, why is that "worse" that adopting a stranger's views he hears in the classroom. I was NOT home schooled and ended up having beliefs very similar, but not identical to my parents.

I believe differently from some here and believe that there can be role for state intervention in certain cases, but where this girl seems to be cogent and competent and her mother is in agreement, I would not substitute my judgment for hers....which you are doing.

What is this irrational ax to grind against homeschooling? It is one way, among several, of seeing to it one's children are educated. Freedom allows for different choices. What makes the state chosen teacher's opinions and beliefs more valid than a parent's. I have more education than most public school teachers, but even when that is not the case, what about a teaching degree makes them better able to educate a specific child than parents who have been with the child since birth?

My teens (15 and 17) participate in all sorts of activities out in the "real world" away from home and church. They can handle themselves just fine. My son has held a couple of jobs and did quite well in them.

You disagree with this girls' choice, fine. Would you agree if she had gone to a public school but held all the same beliefs?

ETA- so homeschooling has been outlawed in Germany and school has been mandatory since 1918....I see nothing in German 20th Century history which would indicate that turning over the value formation of all children to German public schools did any harm....nothing at all.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011

I want to know why people in this country still do not accept modern medicine the "alternate" treatments are a joke at best and scams at worst just ask Steve Jobs how well they worked out for him.

According to the Hartford Courant, Cassandra is being home-schooled and is considered a senior, and has been diagnosed with “stage 3/4″ Hodgkin’s lymphoma. - See more at: Connecticut Teen Taken Away from Mother and Physically Forced to have Chemotherapy

So. I appear to have multiple options here:

1. Point out that I managed to excel in all academic respects (including graduating from an accredited college by age 19 and scoring just below Merit Scholar level on my SATs) and make plenty of friends with both public and homeschooled peers despite the "misfortune" of being homeschooled.
    2. Point out that colleges and other academic institutions have created programs specifically designed to attract homeschooled students because they make the schools look good owing to high graduation/later life achievement rates.
    3. Point out that public schooling in the West was designed for the benefit of large-scale industry and government, not the individual, and is specifically focused in all aspects of its design to create "good citizens" rather than solid individuals. See also: John Dewey, Horace Mann, etc.
    4. Point out that the American Colonies had little formal schooling outside of that which parents could provide for a long time (at least until the late 18th century if not into the early 19th) and still managed to produce exceedingly well-read, opinionated, and individualistic people.

Neither personal experience, current opinions of educators, nor past history validate a broad-brush negative attitude towards homeschooling as a concept.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I managed to excel in all academic respects (including graduating from an accredited college by age 19 and scoring just below Merit Scholar level on my SATs) and make plenty of friends with both public and homeschooled peers...

Yes, but did you develop the "right" opinions? That's what this seems to be about.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I have seen both ends of the spectrum in regards to homeschooling. I've had friends that were homeschooled for several years before enrollment in high school. Smarter than most of their peers, and more adjusted to life outside of high school (oh the drama!). On the other hand, I have seen where the notion of homeschooling has been abused. The wife has a cousin that was "homeschooled" in other words, kept at home, used to do work around the house, and not taught a thing. To this day, she can barely read. But on the other hand, I have seen the equivalent coming out of public schools as well. Student for student, I'll put more confidence in someone that was homeschooled than not.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    One of the articles said the girl felt that the chemo drugs would do more damage than the cancer, she feared her quality of life would be greatly reduced stating life is not about quantity but quality. I fail to understand how having a not very fun several months of chemo is worse than dying?

Food for thought on this one....

You say: Alternative medicine sucks!
    Government says: Take the flu vaccine every year or you will DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE!
    CDC says: Ummm...this year's flu vaccine is actually only 20 some odd % effective against this strain...
    Government says: DO IT ANYWAY! IT'S YOUR ONLY CHANCE!
    A solid independent individual with pretty good health: Ya know what? I feel sucky after the flu shots for a week....then I get the flu anyway. Ya know....not gonna get it.
    You: TRUTHER!

Yeah, not very constructive and not very well thought out.

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    If a 4 year old child wants to roam the street when it's 13 with no shoes wearing only pajamas, who is the state to tell a parent otherwise...right Rambone?

It should be written in law and decided by a jury.

Looks like in that article, the father was actually charged with a crime. That is very different from so many other cases where families are broken up and the evidence of "neglect" is so weak or non-existent that the parents are never charged.... because they did nothing illegal.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If a 4 year old child wants to roam the street when it's 13 with no shoes wearing only pajamas, who is the state to tell a parent otherwise...right Rambone?

INGO: where it is necessary to tell people to keep their children warm.

The very people who do not know to keep their children warm want a say in public policy and how I am to live.

Top Bottom