• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Do you realize how many stupid people carry guns around? More than you care to imagine, probably. I have told this before, but last year, I saw a guy come out of the show, reload right in the foyer where you enter/exit, and fire a round off right into the floor.

That's the kind of dumb stuff they are trying to prevent. They shouldn't even let you load/unload anywhere NEAR the entrances.

But, I do what the others have said. I just keep my mag in my pocket. The last time the policeman asked if I was selling my Glock. I smiled and said "not today sir" and nothing more was said after he zipped my slide.

I agree. Alot of gun owners assume that all gun owners are as responsible and trained as they are which is so far from the truth.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I think the big difference between the 1500 and other places is it is very crowded and full of people fondling and talking guns. Its impossible to follow all 4 gun rules because there is no safe direction to point a gun.

"oh, here let me show you... BAM"

Smart people make stupid mistakes too. I have been guilty of bending over and picking things up off the ground at a shared firing line (no tables etc) while it was hot. Its just instinct to bend over and pick up what you dropped. I have also been guilty of picking up an unloaded (slide locked back) gun off the table at Eagle Creek while the line was cold to show someone something we were talking about. I realized it immediately and put it down, luckily before the range officer saw. Again, just instinct to pick it up and show someone. Granted these examples are much easier to do than actually UNHOLSTERING a weapon, but my point remains that smart people can make stupid mistakes too.

I consider myself VERY safety conscious, but I won't begrudge the "no loaded weapons" rule at the 1500. There are plenty of cops and vendors carrying loaded firearms. It is probably the least likely place to be a victim of violent crime. However the first thing I do when I leave is load up, because I'm sure the parking lot is not.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    lol, can you immagine how many AR's would be walking around, lol. Today it looked like almost every dealer had some sort of AR accessory. everyone is high priced too. i think im gonna go after a contract with one of the upper manufacturers and sell them just above cost, to cover shipping and make about $20 and upper for my time. It will last about 2 weeks until other dealers get sore and report me and the company cancels my contract, lol. but in 2 weeks i can sell a crap load of uppers and hook up a lot of INGO members!!!

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    lol, can you immagine how many AR's would be walking around, lol. Today it looked like almost every dealer had some sort of AR accessory. everyone is high priced too. i think im gonna go after a contract with one of the upper manufacturers and sell them just above cost, to cover shipping and make about $20 and upper for my time. It will last about 2 weeks until other dealers get sore and report me and the company cancels my contract, lol. but in 2 weeks i can sell a crap load of uppers and hook up a lot of INGO members!!!

Count me in:rockwoot:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    lol, i know a lot of you would be in. this will have to be somethin we offer at a INGO meeting or something that way its not posted on-line for me to be ratted out to whatever company i choose to deal with. im all for hooking people up.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I can understand why reasonable people don't want loaded guns in the gun show. I disagree, but I understand.

Where I get lost is when people assert that we should feel better because there are police officers present. That tells me that the speaker/writer just doesn't get it. First of all, all able-bodied adults are responsible for their own safety all the time. Second, the police have NO LEGAL OBLIGATION TO PROTECT ANY INDIVIDUAL. Third, even if a given police officer was willing and able to protect you, how the hell is he (or she) going to be alerted to the problem, get to where you are, assess the situation, and solve the problem in the time frame in which attacks usually happen? The answer to the third is: they can't. The line "when seconds count, the police are only minutes away" is not just an amusing catch phrase.

So my opinion is, even if you feel all safe and warm and snug because uniformed police officers are present, you're not going to advance your argument that it's okay to disarm people at a gun show by sharing that with me, especially when it's just a rule with no hope of any reasonable level of enforcement.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    well i dont ever Rely on ANYONE to realy protect me. I ALWAYS have a BACKUP plan. Plus I look out for me and my family first, all others are secondary. If someone starts blasting at a gun show, with the confusion that would set in, if you pull a gun i can almost assure you that you would be shot too, because no one would know or care who you were either. hit the deck, be prepared to engage if you have to. seems like a lot of you who are making these bold "tough guy" statements about doing this or that have probly NEVER been shot at in real life or in a confusing situation. everyone pulling guns out at a gun show at the same time is retarded. thats not an anti-gun statement its the truth. i think that i have a pretty good idea about site and personal security, more than most. Theres a lot of wanna be tactical quarterbacks on this forum, real life is different than video games. be mad, cry about what im saying, i dont care. but i can tell you this, if you rely on ONLY your gun to protect you and your families lives then you already have a BIG problem before you even walk into a danger situation. just my 2 cents but heres some advice: If you want advice about the law, go to a lawyer. If you want advice on security and fighting and deffending, and surviving, ask a RANGER, SEAL, RECON MARINE. dont read it out of a book.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    but i can tell you this, if you rely on ONLY your gun to protect you and your families lives then you already have a BIG problem before you even walk into a danger situation.

MY gun is the ONLY gun I can RELY on to defend myself or my family! And for you to suggest that I can rely on any other shows how absolutely out of touch you are with the realities of living on planet Earth.

It is my job to protect me - the end.

If I get assistence, then I'll say 'thank you', but I don't ever form plans that rely on it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    This was the first show that I was asked if I had loaded mags in my pocket. When I went in, I presented an unloaded 1911, with the slide locked back and every time in the past, they would just zip tie it. I did have a loaded mag in the pocket, but responded 'no' when asked.

My question is, what do the do if you have a loaded mag? SD rounds are expensive and I'm not donating mine to anybody at less that 950 fps. Do they confiscate the ammo or just ask you to return it to the car?

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    MY gun is the ONLY gun I can RELY on to defend myself or my family! And for you to suggest that I can rely on any other shows how absolutely out of touch you are with the realities of living on planet Earth.

It is my job to protect me - the end.

If I get assistence, then I'll say 'thank you', but I don't ever form plans that rely on it.

sorry your mindset was not in the right place. i was not talking about someone else protecting you. (man I hate being PC, wish i could tell you exactly what im thinking right now)

Self Deffense school 101 for Glock21: situational awareness, suspect warning signs, hand to hand, knife, etc etc. if you would like me to teach you how to survive, i will offer a 10 minute class only to you for $10,000. cash up front :D

I made it through getting shot at around the world in the Army, and i still do it in my proffessional career for a living ( and yes i am throwing that in your face because im proud of it and because you earned it). sorry if your only chance at getting close to that and making yourself feel better is going to the gun show, plinking on a stagnant range, Quarterbacking from your keyboard, and putting down people that know what they are talking about. have a hug

Last edited:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I agree that if they're going to make you unload, they should provide a safe place (preferably with a sand bucket) to unload.

Ever pay any attention to the left right before you go under the awning by the exit door? There's a nice little piece of dirt there that's about 4 foot wode and can not remember how long it is, but that is exactly where I stand pointing down to the dirt when I re-chamber a round after exiting, no sand bucket but next best thing.

This was the first show that I was asked if I had loaded mags in my pocket. When I went in, I presented an unloaded 1911, with the slide locked back and every time in the past, they would just zip tie it. I did have a loaded mag in the pocket, but responded 'no' when asked.

My question is, what do the do if you have a loaded mag? SD rounds are expensive and I'm not donating mine to anybody at less that 950 fps. Do they confiscate the ammo or just ask you to return it to the car?

You know I've been to almost every show for the last 9 years maybe missing on tops 5 shows and I've never been asked if I had a loaded mag.

I always hand it to them with the slide locked back and where they can grab the grip and see that there is nothing in the chamber.

Today, instead of the officer putting the zip tie through the barrel, he put it through the mag well and gave it enough slack to unlock the slide and gently close it. I gave him a very grateful " Thank You Officer, that makes it easier to re-holster my fire arm". He replied with a smiling "You're Welcome, I hate it down the barrel and makes it too snug in the holster."

Gave each other the nod and went on in.

I really appreciated that because I'm still trying to find the perfect holster for my Taurus 809 and currently have to use a Don Hume JT Slide for a XD-45, nice fit but want a better one with a little cant on it.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    If you dont want 2 leave ur weapon unloaded @ the 1500, then dont go. Its that simple.

ROTFL, I love this thread.

When are ya'll going to recognise the rest of the property owners in this state have the same rights they do at the 1500?:rolleyes:

"If you dont want 2 leave ur weapon unloaded @ [STRIKE]the 1500[/STRIKE] work , then dont go. Its that simple."

"If you dont want 2 leave ur weapon unloaded @ [STRIKE]the 1500[/STRIKE] any store that posts NO GUNS, then dont go. Its that simple."

"If you dont want 2 leave ur weapon unloaded @ [STRIKE]the 1500[/STRIKE] some one's house they don't want you to carry, then dont go. Its that simple."

Heck, recognising the fact every property owner has as much right to determine who and how their own property is used as they do at the 1500 could wipe out about 3/4 of the conversations around here and 90% of the hypocrasy.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I think the main reason you can't carry at the 1500 is for insurance and liability reasons.

GSquared

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Columbus
    Noticed for the first time today that there was an officer by the exit of the parking across 38th street. My guess is to watch for people coming in the back way to break into cars. No issues with my truck, but also didn't leave anything visible to tempt anyone.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Do you realize how many stupid people carry guns around? More than you care to imagine, probably. I have told this before, but last year, I saw a guy come out of the show, reload right in the foyer where you enter/exit, and fire a round off right into the floor.

That's the kind of dumb stuff they are trying to prevent. They shouldn't even let you load/unload anywhere NEAR the entrances.

That's kind of dumb stuff they are promoting when they make you unload. That wouldn’t have happened if the guy wasn’t forced to unload before he entered. Keeping it in the holster is the safest for everybody involved.

have you seen the same retarded people that i have that go to the 1500? im suprised some of them even know the right direction to point the barrel, and in some of their cases that might not be a bad thing

the only ones i want with a loaded gun in their holster is the cops WORKING the show or in uniform as the rules say.

Yeah, I’ve heard it somewhere else that cops are the only ones qualified to carry guns. Now which organ(ization) was it that said it, again? Hmm... :rolleyes:

That's the way to do it. Slide locked back and empty when you hand it to the LEO. Smiling and saying "good morning" is optional, as is a "Thanks" when he hands it back to you.

While bending over and saying “thank you sir, may I have another?” There’s no way I’m thanking anybody for disarming me.

It would be nice if we could just keep them holstered, but there are too many idiots in the world. All the 1500 is trying to do is keep the AD/ND outside, and reduce their liability.

So is the 1500 or any other business liable for the illegal actions of their customers? I seriously doubt it. I can’t see the local Speedway being sued for a person at their store being murdered just because they didn’t bother to post a “no murder allowed” sign. Why would the 1500 be any different?

I wonder how many times someone could stab another person in 5 seconds? Actually, I don't wonder, I know.

Seriously, a gun show can make whatever rules they want, but all these justifications by otherwise resonable folks is really mind blowing. Sounds a lot like the reasoning that Diane Feinstein and Chuck Schumer use.

+1. I don’t get it either. It’s hard to complain about the gun-grabbers saying things like that when we have (supposedly) 2A supporters saying the same things.

I agree. Alot of gun owners assume that all gun owners are as responsible and trained as they are which is so far from the truth.

Yep, the only responsible gun-owners are the ones who complain that all other gun-owners are irresponsible. :rolleyes:

I don’t know how they can legally confiscate your ammo. Ask you to leave, sure. Don’t ask, don’t tell isn’t just for the military.

And I agree with those who say “concealed means concealed”. It seems that the parking lot of a big gun show is probably one of the more dangerous places to be. People going in & out with money/guns & those guns unloaded due to a moronic rule.

I’m way more concerned about BG’s than I am about a properly holstered loaded gun. If the owner of one of those properly holstered guns decides to do something stupid then, just like everywhere else in society, there are laws to make them suffer the consequences of that stupidity.

Top Bottom