• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've never carried into the 1500. And with all the reports of vehicle break-ins of the last 1500, I'm NOT leaving my gun in the Jeep. So, I know I have to "check" my gun at the door, make sure its not loaded and everything. My question is where do you hide your magazines at? I know that a lot of you don't empty your magazine. What do you do with it? Put it back in your gun after you enter? Keep it in your pocket/holster?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I have never had them check my mags. I have kept them loaded in my pocket.

Close slided on handgun and it goes back in holster.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    When you approach the door, have the firearm already unloaded, magazine out, and slide locked back to present to the officers/staff working the door. They will put a zip tie on the gun/through the action to prevent it from being "useful" while in the 1500. This can be taken off to try out holsters, etc, but make sure you keep the zip tie in your pocket to show the firearm was yours when you entered the building, as they will check for it on the way out.

As for loaded mags, do not insert them back into the firearm....that is a big :nono:. I believe some do keep loaded mags in their pocket, but you are not supposed to. "If" you do, I would be certain the mag is in your pocket before entering the door, and make sure it stays there the entire duration of your stay.

Just my :twocents:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    When you approach the door, have the firearm already unloaded, magazine out, and slide locked back to present to the officers/staff working the door. They will put a zip tie on the gun/through the action to prevent it from being "useful" while in the 1500. This can be taken off to try out holsters, etc, but make sure you keep the zip tie in your pocket to show the firearm was yours when you entered the building, as they will check for it on the way out.

As for loaded mags, do not insert them back into the firearm....that is a big :nono:. I believe some do keep loaded mags in their pocket, but you are not supposed to. "If" you do, I would be certain the mag is in your pocket before entering the door, and make sure it stays there the entire duration of your stay.

:+1: Well said

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    but make sure you keep the zip tie in your pocket to show the firearm was yours when you entered the building, as they will check for it on the way out.

The indy 500 is a pathetic joke. That is just one of the reasons.

It's a travesty to the gun community... not that they do these insane things, but that so many gun owners line up to subject themselves to such stupidity.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I wish they would put a couple of barrels of sand by the entrance. I get a little weary of some of the people when they unload right by the entrance and sweep half the crowd.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    The indy 500 is a pathetic joke. That is just one of the reasons.

It's a travesty to the gun community... not that they do these insane things, but that so many gun owners line up to subject themselves to such stupidity.
    Do you realize how many stupid people carry guns around? More than you care to imagine, probably. I have told this before, but last year, I saw a guy come out of the show, reload right in the foyer where you enter/exit, and fire a round off right into the floor.

That's the kind of dumb stuff they are trying to prevent. They shouldn't even let you load/unload anywhere NEAR the entrances.

But, I do what the others have said. I just keep my mag in my pocket. The last time the policeman asked if I was selling my Glock. I smiled and said "not today sir" and nothing more was said after he zipped my slide.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    yep cops that work the 1500 are cool there, most of them are the same ones that have worked for Dan for YEARS. ONE OF THEM IS AN X- ARMY RANGER!!!!! :rockwoot:

they dont want customers to be harrased but they also dont want anyone in danger, nor should they. I AM VERY PRO RIGHTS, as many of you know, but i will say that i DO follow ALL of the rules at the 1500, i have never carried a loaded gun inside, even as a dealer (dealers do not have to check weapons, i can walk into any door with any UNLOADED gun and my dealer badge and not even get a dirty look) But dealers still cannot carry a loaded weapon or even load mags in the building.

please follow the NO LOADED gun rule while you are at the show. The worse thing to hear is a discharge at the GUN show, and ive seen it one time myself, and it wasnt cool. the officers that are there are more than capable to protect you if needed.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm a "rule follower" myself...

But, since I like to play Devil's Advocate from time to time... It's time.

It's not at all illegal for you to carry your loaded weapon at the Indy 1500. But it sure as heck is against the RULES.

If I WANTED to carry my J-frame, loaded, on my person in the gun show, I could certainly do so with very little chance of being "caught". I'm sure that many other folks do the same. (and I don't blame them...)

But if you choose to ignore the rules... Don't touch the danged thing unless you absolutely positively 100% must.

-J-

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    please follow the NO LOADED gun rule while you are at the show. The worse thing to hear is a discharge at the GUN show, and ive seen it one time myself, and it wasnt cool. the officers that are there are more than capable to protect you if needed.

How about instead you make the policy KEEP YOUR LOADED GUN IN THE DAMN HOLSTER!

There is no reason in the world you need to be drawing a loaded gun inside a gun show unless you're planning to shoot someone. If you're going to check the fit in a new holster or you're going to sell it, go outside and unload it.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Went to the 1500 several years ago with a friend and he forgot to unload his .45. The cop was pissed. Chewed him out bigtime. The cop unloaded his gun and gave it back to him, but kept his ammo. Funny sh**. I still razz him about it today.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    There is no reason in the world you need to be drawing a loaded gun inside a gun show unless you're planning to shoot someone. If you're going to check the fit in a new holster or you're going to sell it, go outside and unload it.

You must live a very planned life.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

have you seen the same retarded people that i have that go to the 1500? im suprised some of them even know the right direction to point the barrel, and in some of their cases that might not be a bad thing :D

the only ones i want with a loaded gun in their holster is the cops WORKING the show or in uniform as the rules say.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side

It can't be said enough, there are a lot of stupid people that carry. I am as pro 2A as the next guy. I still follow the rules and unload before I enter, although I am never asked as a dealer if I even have a gun.
    I've been to more than one gun show where a ND occurred. Not just the 1500, it happens everywhere.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You must live a very planned life.

Why, because I'm a responsible gun owner? Why is it too much to ask to have people not unholster their loaded gun? We've got gun stores all over the state with the exact same policy, and each time I've asked, they've said the same thing. It's to prevent AD/ND, and it's either that or have a No Loaded Handguns policy.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A rule isn't going to stop stupid people from doing stupid things any more than a law is going to stop criminals from doing crimes.

The negligent discharges have happened with the stupid rule n place.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It can't be said enough, there are a lot of stupid people that carry. I am as pro 2A as the next guy. I still follow the rules and unload before I enter, although I am never asked as a dealer if I even have a gun.
    I've been to more than one gun show where a ND occurred. Not just the 1500, it happens everywhere.

I am the same way, even though it galls me to unload and be zip-tied. They're called "ND's" for good reason. Negligence. Keep it holstered and it won't go off.

I agree that if they're going to make you unload, they should provide a safe place (preferably with a sand bucket) to unload.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

+1 That's the way to do it. Slide locked back and empty when you hand it to the LEO. Smiling and saying "good morning" is optional, as is a "Thanks" when he hands it back to you.

It would be nice if we could just keep them holstered, but there are too many idiots in the world. All the 1500 is trying to do is keep the AD/ND outside, and reduce their liability.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    I go both ways on this. When I lived in Atlanta, GA I was at a show a few years ago where a man was checking to see if his gun fit into a dealer's holster he was interested in buying. Somehow/someway the gun was loaded and went off, hitting a child in the head who died several days later. The risk goes waaayyyy up with sooo many people packing and carrying and showing etc.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom