• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    12-year-old boy could face life in prison after alleged robbery attempt, killing

CNN - It is just after midnight on August 1 in Detroit. Trisha Babcock and a friend sit in a car on West Outer Drive. A figure approaches the vehicle. A gun appears. A shot is fired. Babcock is mortally wounded. She dies a short time later.

For homicide detectives, the circumstances are sadly familiar. Except for one detail: the murder suspect is 12-years-old.

He is just a child, but authorities in Michigan believe the boy was old enough to kill. And if convicted of the crime, he could face a possible lifetime inside an adult prison. “As you can imagine, it’s a very sensitive case because of the nature of it,” Deputy Chief John Roach of the Detroit Police Department told CNN.

The situation is both sensitive and highly controversial. The boy is currently being held at a juvenile center in Wayne County. Authorities say they are awaiting a preliminary examination before releasing his name.

The office of Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy announced the suspect will be tried as a minor. However, under Michigan law, if he is found guilty, he can be designated as an adult for sentencing.

“The judge would have three options at the time of sentencing,” Maria Miller, the spokeswoman for Worthy said to CNN in a phone interview. “To sentence him as a juvenile, sentence him as an adult, or a blended sentence.” A blended sentence gives the judge discretion of sending a juvenile offender to prison when he or she reaches the age of 19.

Steve Babcock shows a photograph of his daughter Trisha, at right, and a friend. The 2003 Davison High School graduate had planned to attend Mott Community College in Flint this fall and become a nurse, he said.

The suspect is charged with felony murder, armed robbery, felony firearms, and a curfew violation, according to Roach, who also provided a detailed description of the shooting:

“The 12-year-old approached the vehicle and pointed his gun at Babcock. After a brief struggle, he fired one shot, striking her in the chest. She was taken to Sinai-Grace hospital where she died a short time later.”

Witnesses told police the boy was attempting to rob Babcock, who ironically was 24-years-old, twice his age.

Roach said forensic evidence linked the boy to the homicide, who, accompanied by his father, turned himself in on August 14.

He is young, but he may appear older than he looks.

“He is 6′2″, Maria Miller said, “he’s a big kid for his age, a big kid.”

Roach, who said the suspect turns 13-years-old next month, can not recall a similar case to this one ever in Wayne County. He called it an “aberration.”

However, he added “the reality is that we do have a lot of juvenile shooting suspects which is a very serious issue. It’s at the center of what our new chief is trying to address.”

The judge assigned to the case was unavailable for comment. Attempts to determine if a defense attorney has been retained or appointed have been unsuccessful.

The child’s next court appearance will be August 26.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    They said he is 6'2" "a big kid". Undoubtedly he's used his size many times to belie his true age, surely to his advantage. Let his size assist him through his trial and incarceration as an adult. I don't go along with the "he didn't have a dog, daddy beat him, his uncle came to his room in the middle of the night" B.S. Occasionally a bad apple falls from the tree and needs to be thrown out with the slop. Execution would serve nicely here. Too many of these little bass turds know they are immune due to their age and use that to their advantage, take away that immunity and you'll see alot of juvenile crime go away!!:soapbox:

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    They said he is 6'2" "a big kid". Undoubtedly he's used his size many times to belie his true age, surely to his advantage. Let his size assist him through his trial and incarceration as an adult. I don't go along with the "he didn't have a dog, daddy beat him, his uncle came to his room in the middle of the night" B.S. Occasionally a bad apple falls from the tree and needs to be thrown out with the slop. Execution would serve nicely here. Too many of these little bass turds know they are immune due to their age and use that to their advantage, take away that immunity and you'll see alot of juvenile crime go away!!:soapbox:

AMEN! Kids nowadays are not stupid...... they know that if they steal a car, beat someone half to death or worse - that they will at MOST have to spend time in a juvenile facility till they reach the age of majority. There is no real deterent here, because when they get out, their records are sealed, and they get a clean slate. The truly sad part - that we teach them this stuff in our public schools, as part of "civics" class.....

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Originally Posted by hookedonjeep
    that they will at MOST have to spend time in a juvenile facility till they reach the age of majority.

Thats exactly it!

A 17-year-old was being held Wednesday in Brazil for allegedly knifing thirty men to death.
    The schoolgirl stunned cops by owning up to a serial killing spree that started when she was a 15-year-old.
    She told detectives she wanted to confess before she turned 18 and could be tried as an adult.
    The girl — too young even to be named — said she began targeting men in her home city of Sao Paulo, Brazil "for money, revenge and to bring justice".
    She allegedly even smiled as she reeled off her list of victims — which is feared to make her the world's most prolific teenage serial killer.

originalhonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    greenwood
    a short rope a long drop and a sudden stop sounds good to me. or we could just let him out after 8or9 yrs in the fed system were he has been given his props and gangster ego boost to kill another young girl for no reason. but im sure sombody thinks he will be one of the 1 or 2% that saw the error of the evil ways and will become a monk roaming the earth fighting for good and saving all humanity!:xmad:

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    I'm all for the death penalty..FOR ADULTS...certainly not 12 year old CHILDREN! anyone have kids? remember when they were 12? Hell, remember when YOU were 12? Sure you knew right from wrong, but i'm pretty sure your ability to make reasonable decisions wasn't as good as it was at 16 or 18...we may need to do more than incarcerate this young man until 21, but HANG HIM, really? That's the only thing we can come up with?

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I'm all for the death penalty..FOR ADULTS...certainly not 12 year old CHILDREN! anyone have kids? remember when they were 12? Hell, remember when YOU were 12? Sure you knew right from wrong, but i'm pretty sure your ability to make reasonable decisions wasn't as good as it was at 16 or 18...we may need to do more than incarcerate this young man until 21, but HANG HIM, really? That's the only thing we can come up with?

Yeah, I do remember when I was twelve. Even by 12 I had a pretty good idea that robbery and murder were wrong. And I was fully capable of choosing not to do them.

Capable of making reasonable decisions? I know a young lady of 11 who I would fully trust at my back with a rifle, which is more than I can say for many adults I know.

And how many people who are committing armed robbery and murder at 12 are any better at 21?

We're not talking about snitching candy from the store here. We're talking robbery and murder.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Yes I have a child, and if I found out that my child murdered someone like that I would be up on charges of murder because I would have strangled my child. Fortunately I taught my child right from wrong, but sorry, if ATF can say once a machinegun always a machine gun, once a killer, always a killer. I would be thrilled to see the switch thrown on an execution rig for someone who beyond any doubt killed another human being in cold blood. Parents should spend time with bubba.

At some point we need to get it into parents heads that they need to take responsibility for their children BEFORE these things happen, and the age of criminals having more rights than their victims has to come to an end.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Damn, I'm not sure I could advocate the execution of a 12yr old. I understand the weight of the accusations but I can't get over the coldness of wishing a child dead. No thanks. I'll let you guys embrace that idea. I've seen more gruesome death than most should ever and have watched as a few died while I was talking to them. Death does not bother me, but I will not likely see a time that I'm comfortable with this.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    Damn, I'm not sure I could advocate the execution of a 12yr old. I understand the weight of the accusations but I can't get over the coldness of wishing a child dead. No thanks. I'll let you guys embrace that idea. I've seen more gruesome death than most should ever and have watched as a few died while I was talking to them. Death does not bother me, but I will not likely see a time that I'm comfortable with this.

Sorry, this is not an ordinary 12 year old boy. He stuck a pistol in that girl's face and demanded money. He knew what he was doing. And when that went south, he pulled the trigger. I'll bet it wasn't a high dollar pistol with a light trigger, either. He had to consciously close his hand and squeeze the trigger. Again, he knew what he was doing. I've met a couple of early teen/pre-teen kids I wouldn't want to turn my back on, and none of them were 6'-2", and with proportionate weight, at 12 years old.

Every now and then, we unfortunately turn out a little pot of clay empty of what makes us human. What do you do with someone with no idea of the value of life, but has intelligence? Put them "in class" with the experienced criminals and killers? With children his own age? Isolate him completely?

And I agree with the father and mother being imprisoned for, say, ten years
    right alongside Junior. A few cases of that happening, and watch juvenile crime drop right off the charts.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I'm not sure I could advocate the death penalty for an 8 or 12 year old. (And I am an advocate of the death penalty) There is no way these are "children"...and they probably deserve it...but I don't know if I could do it or not. Life in prison without parole? Absolutely...but the death penalty for a pre-teen? :dunno:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Maybe we should wait until he is convicted before he is hanged? Those who advocate the death of the 12yr old rather than jail, could you push the button and administer the injection?

Last edited:

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I do not back life in prison for anyone. If someone is bad enough for life in prison they should be executed. I back capitol punishment regardless of the offenders age if they are determined to mentally grasp life and death. If he is capable of killing at such an early age I know incarceration will not do him any good. He will only become a more proficient thug by learning from other thugs in the pen.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom