• ...and so much more!
  • 45Guy

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I know you're going to love the Savage, but I do think you might want to consider a longer barrel. I went with a Savage model 10 FCP-K and the same Bushnell Elite 6500 4X 30 X 50 with a 20 moa base. I also added a Accu-Shot Monopod and a Karston cheek rest. I tried several other cheek rests and none of them would allow me a consistent cheek weld. I spoke with Karsten and he explained his system and he was absolutely on track. My groups shrank immediately after adding the Karsten.
    I've not had an opportunity to shoot beyond 200 yards however at 100 yards I have shot a .223 group and at 200 yards I have shot a .881 group. I can assure you that those groups have more to do with the rifle than with me. At first I was shooting 168 SMK but have switched to 175 SMK and found that they are far more accurate At some point in the near future I'm going to try and get up to Young's Longshot to see what I can do there. Bottom line is that the savage rifles are very accurate out-of-the-box and totally dependable. You have made a good choice.

baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I see you are in NWI, as am I. Where did you take the barrel to get threaded? I have a couple I've been thinking about having done.

Thanks,
    Brian

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I talked to MAC quite a bit about this build. And yes, my Bushnell performed much better than his. I was sub MOA at 200 yards. I just gotta go out to Young's with him sometime so I can make use of his sweet spotting scope.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I talked to MAC quite a bit about this build. And yes, my Bushnell performed much better than his. I was sub MOA at 200 yards. I just gotta go out to Young's with him sometime so I can make use of his sweet spotting scope.

You should take your camera when you go. :yesway:

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I can't say an 18" 308 with 168gr FGMM would be my choice for shooting at 1000 yards.

But those were two excellent videos showing that you don't need to sell a kidney to get into precision rifle.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Lafayette
    postpics.gif
    How can he put pics up of a gun he does not own yet?

I remember my first beer!!!!! lol

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I have recently noticed that on Savages website that they are no longer offering the Model 10 FP SR and a couple others. Witch kinda sucks that was very well priced rifle that would get someone into precision shooting for very reasonable money.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm working on essentially the same project. My rifle choice was determined by availability, and my optics were chosen by a guru who let me have a scope from his own rifle for a very good price and guided me on the mount and rings.

Top Bottom