• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Niles Coyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    S.W. Michigan
    That rifle will get you to 1k, no problem. I do it with a 20" Remington tactical at young’s often. My only concern with the model you are looking at is the bolt knob, for me, it would compromise my trigger press so I'd be sure to look at one and do some dry firing if you can before ordering. Depending on where you are in NWI, I know of a place that has one new.

PMY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Mishawaka
    The standard bull barrel on a Savage Model 10 is more than enough to get started at 1000 yards. That's what I use. Though I would go longer than 20 inches. The closer to 30" you get at that range the better off you'll be.

With a pretty stout load --- a Berger 185 gr. Hybrid, with a muzzle velocity just under 2800 fps --- my come-up from 100 to 1000 yards is about 30 MOA. With a shorter barrel and factory ammo (Federal Gold Medal Match 175 gr. advertises a MV of 2600) you'll likely need more adjustment than that. I use a Sightron SIII 10-50x60, which has plenty of internal adjustment and is crystal clear all the way up to 50x magnification. (Mirage might make you dial it back now and then, but that's going to be true of any scope.) I also use the Burris Zee Rings with the plastic inserts.

If someday you might consider shooting F-Class matches you can't use a muzzle break in those, but if it's something you can spin on and off, I don't see any reason not to use it for casual shooting. (The guy shooting next to you might have an opinion though.) A muzzle break is not as critical with .308 as it would be with something bigger.

What stock are you thinking about? I agree with JRH that you ought to replace the plastic factory stock.

The only thing I'd really urge you to reconsider is to go with a barrel in the 26-30 inch range.

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County
    What do you guys think of going with a one piece mount and rings instead of a mount and rings separate?

If you can find a one piece that fits everything you need, it'd be one less thing that can work itself loose.

I got tools to lap and align scopes with 1" tubes (don't have any 30mm's). We can meet up at the cigar lounge one night after you get the parts in.

Niles Coyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    S.W. Michigan
    I agree, DNZ game reaper makes a nice 20moa that I use on a few of my remingtons. I believe they make savage mounts as well. It weights less than a pair of steel rings and none of them have every come loose. Good quality product IMO.

koutsevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    San Pierre, IN
    I agree, DNZ game reaper makes a nice 20moa that I use on a few of my remingtons. I believe they make savage mounts as well. It weights less than a pair of steel rings and none of them have every come loose. Good quality product IMO.

I have DNZ on my Savage. Looks to be quality. Problem is, I dont't think it is a 20 MOA.

PMY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Mishawaka
    PMY, are you shooting F-Class??? I am just north of you and have been looking around for rifle matches (any type but 3 gun) that I dont have to drive hours to get too...

Yes, I am shooting F-Class, but also yes, I am driving hours to do it. I've been shooting 1000 yard matches at Camp Atterbury south of Indianapolis, and 600 yard matches at Washtenaw Sportsmans Club near Yspilanti, MI. Depending on how my calendar works out, I might also try to make a match or two at Camp Perry, OH, next summer. Those are all about a three hour drive from my house.

There's a good amount of across-the-course* highpower matches that are closer.

*Which is to say, three-position highpower matches, but mostly shot on reduced courses. Either 100 yards, 200 yards, or 200 & 300 yards.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    That rifle will get you to 1k, no problem. I do it with a 20" Remington tactical at young’s often. My only concern with the model you are looking at is the bolt knob, for me, it would compromise my trigger press so I'd be sure to look at one and do some dry firing if you can before ordering. Depending on where you are in NWI, I know of a place that has one new.
    What caliber are you shooting 1000 yards out of a 20" barrel?

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    What caliber are you shooting 1000 yards out of a 20" barrel?

I can't know what Niles does, but I maintain barrels at 20" or less in 0.224"; 0.243", 0.284"; 0.308" and all have seen use at 1000+ yards. As always, 0.308" anything takes last place regardless.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Rifle: Savage 10P 20" Heavy Barrel

What criteria led you to this decision? I'll offer my condolences in advance regardless.

Muzzle Break: PWS FSC30
    Which will really eliminate the Optic from coming off target

Though the "muzzle break" crowd is reliably entertaining, such a device does not really do any such thing. Proper position handily trumps any doodad affixed ahead of the crown.

Rings: 6 Hole Weaver Tactical Rings

Instead of compensating with more holes, get good rings instead. For what looks like a heavy, Seekins.

does this sound like a decent build. I would like to hear your opinions, perhaps someone can educate me on the subject of a successful 1000yd .308 rifle.

As long as only other 308 Wins are in the race.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I've shot to 900yd with a 16" R700 308 and 168gr Hornady TAP...1000yd with a 20" 308 and handloads shouldn't be that big of a deal, especially if one shoots the 155/168 Berger Hybrid.

Here's my 20" Savage...a 10FP action with a McGowen 20" barrel in 260 Remington.
    null_zpsaf546897.jpg

Haven't really stretched its legs yet, but it sends 140s @ 2700fps and 123s @ 2900fps, either of which will do just fine on a 66% IPSC @ 1100yd down at Rockcastle.

I'm thinking my next build will be a Rem-Age, if only to give heart palpitations to the purists out there.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I seem to be getting a ton of mixed reviews here. Does it help if I say this is not for any competition or match shooting. Just looking to be able to shoot from 400-1000 yards using the .308win. I know 1000 yards is pushing it.

Top Bottom