• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Old guys advice- a .38/.357 revolver, a Maverick 12 ga. pump, and a marlin mod. 60 .22 rifle. You can get all 3 for a grand [used]. and all 3 serve multiple purposes.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Hmm...

Gun to beat on in IDPA/USPSA/IPSC - SA milspec/other basic "milspec" 1911 (read - cheap!). Good sights, holster, beavertail grip if necessary and you're still under $1000. Spend the rest on ammo/classes. Magazines out the wazoo too.

Showpiece/occasional OC - Safari Arms Enforcer
    full-enforcer.jpg
    MSRP is $1030 but surely can be had for $1000. :drooooooooool: A spiritual successor of sorts to Detonics, so that may be why I am suddenly completely enamored with these guns.

"Heritage" gun - nice Smith wheelgun...sorry, don't know numbers off the top of my head? 636 perhaps? :dunno:

1911s make my pants shrink. Rifles just don't do it for me, yet at least.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Old guys advice- a .38/.357 revolver, a Maverick 12 ga. pump, and a marlin mod. 60 .22 rifle. You can get all 3 for a grand [used]. and all 3 serve multiple purposes.

Heck, with some good shopping you can get all 3 new! That's a good combo of guns.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Suppressed GSG-5
    Suppressed 10/22
    AR
    2 Glocks?
    4 PF-9's?
    10 Hi-Point C9's?
    10 Mosins?
    1 Mosin + a lifetime of ammo?

Its really up to you. You could always match what your parents contribute and get something really cool :)

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I know for a fact what it's getting me next week! Thompson Center Pro hunter with a 2lb 4oz trigger in 22-250 topped with a nikon 6-18x40, and a .223 barrel. Have enough left over to even get a few shells. ;)

picture.php

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette

If you are looking used you can upgrade to a Mossberg 500A field/deer combo and still get everything for $700 just based on current ads here in the INGO classifieds!
    Excellent suggestions for a basic battery of working guns though. That's very close to what I started with. My opinion is that in Indiana a rifle is pretty much just gravy, although a nice battle rifle and/or a scoped tack driver would round out the collection pretty well.

NealWright

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    Wow, so many ideas ... first, let me say. Try the 1500 first, but if you wanting a Mauser, I don't think you'll just happen to find a nicer one that Mitchell's. You'll have to pay for one of their Presentation guns (or such) ... but many people on the internet want to buy their low grade gun, and receive it as new.

As far as picking guns ... $1000 would buy you an awful bolt gun & scope! 1911 are great, but I'd look past Colt (there are better options). If you're into trap guns ... well, I guess that could be a down-payment. AR's are neat pieces, but I find they get traded often ... no real style there (wasn't meant to have any).

Probably the best heirloom gun in my collection is a Commercial Oberndorf Mauser. For a grand, you mind find one (not often) ... but it gots style/grace, and won't be traded off (kids'll get that one).

I've also got a real affection for revolvers. Python's are probably over-priced, and coming down. I think many of the S&W PC guns will start accending in value (nice pieces), and seem to carry the theme for the day ... accessory rails, black finish, compensators, etc.

For bolt guns ... I'm really stuck on Savages, probably will buy one this year. Their barrels interchange easier than an AR (almost easier than my Encore!). That's kind of neat where many high-end barrel makers are making savage barrels, that you can just throw on at home. AccuTrigger is the best factory trigger you can buy. And the guns accuracy seldom can be beat by custom guns.

Scopes are expensive out there, but there's many choices. I bought an FXII Leupold new last year for $100 (hunt with that one). I keep wanting a high-end Leupold, but their reputation (negative) preceeds them. I've got a few Sightron BigSky scopes now, and don't think I'll be looking for a different brand again! These are awesome.

Oh well, lots of choices. I would say if you're into Mauser's ... my choice would be to find a Commercial Oberndorf for ~$1000. They do come up from time to time. Gun fits better than anything I've shot ... unfortunately, can only hunt paper in Indiana with a 30'06.

Take care, Neal

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    Smith and Wesson 39-2
    King Nitro 12ga SxS

Replacments for the ones that were stolen (both on loan from my grandpa)

Top Bottom