• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    VQ hammer and buffer... That is what I would do first.

I bought a bull barrel from Boyd's I think. Mine was a cosmetic blem discounted barrel, and I think it was a Green Mountain. I did a whole raft of mods to mine. Had the bolt machine turned, and headspaced and radiused(sp) Firing pin pinned. Extended mag release, bolt release. Redid the original stock, bedded. 32x scope..... Holy crap!

It was too heavy to carry in the field, and so accurate, it was boring. Sounds dumb, but it could not miss with Wolf MT. I wish I still had the target, but my wife, very first time behind a scope, first round downrange, took out the little "10" in the center of a Shoot N See target at 50 yards. Benched of course, but dang. I disassembled it and sold off all the parts except the stock.

Too long a post...Sorry. My point is, ya just can't stop at 1 mod with a 10/22.. Ask anyone here or over at Rimfirecentral.

Last edited:

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    This combo is on sale NOW at Midway - just put it on my new 10/22 Takedown. Out of the the box, the TD was a jam-o-matic - 3 or 4 stovepipes in every magazine. Besides the hammer, I also put a Power Custom extractor on it and the problems went completely away - even with Federal Bulk. The bolt release is just a convenience thing, but the hammer made a big improvement in the trigger pull force and smoothness - don't have a way to measure it, but it was very noticeable.

I also bought a BX-25 25 round magazine that works fine - another convenience thing, but it's nice to be able to shoot more than 10 rounds before reloading.

The improvement the hammer mod made has convinced my to do several other part swaps - I'm going to put in the Volquartsen sear, disconnector, firing pin, extended bolt release/spring, bolt buffer, and extended magazine release. This thing ought to run slicker than whale snot when it's all done!

Did the combo come with the hammer bushings? Because aren't all the newer 10/22s hammer bushings built into the hammer? I always thought about getting the combo, but it doesn't specify that the bushings come with it.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I was thinking about one of these aluminum Timney trigger units with the extended mag release
    Timney 10/22 Trigger - Timney Ruger 10/22 Trigger Group by Timney Triggers
    I already have the tech sights.
    And the canvas sling from a buddys SKS

I went to Appleseed north of indy with a buddy.
    I hope to make it to the Bedford 'seed one of these days, maybe bring the daughter.
    Skip the Timney and buy a Kidd. Single or 2 stage. Best there is. Failing that, there is a fellow who goes by "Brimstone" on Rimfire Central who does wonders with the stock trigger groups and is quite reasonable.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    By all accounts I've read, the 10/22 is not picky about ammo.

I must disagree. Probably about our definitions of picky, more than anything else.
    .22's in general and 10/22's are included are notoriously finicky about what they shoot well. Std Ruger dimension chambers are sloppy compared to a bentz chamber so they will extract reliably and fire any available ammo including stingers. This is not real conducive to pinpoint accuracy. I've seen some that shot best with Minimags and some that would drive tacks with RWS subsonic HPs. It's gun specific. An aftermkt bbl with a tighter chamber will make the biggest difference in accuracy, followed by a good trigger or trigger modification. If you intend to shoot Appleseed with open sights you're about stuck with a stock bbl or you're gonna spend some extra cash getting sights installed on the aftermarket bbl. Tech sights are the real deal for Appleseed. I think Nodak SPUD may still make aftermkt sights that will go on a .920 bbl also. Don't quote me on that tho'. Stock bbls can be set back and rechambered with excellent results. Recrowned at the same time is a good option.
    Nemohunter over on RFC does good bbl work and seems to be back in business after some personal troubles. He's a good guy and my experience with his work has been excellent.

If you haven't guessed, a 10/22 can be a real money pit. I have 2 with over a grand in them. But they shoot like my Annie.:cool:

himant

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    i put a ATI folding synthetic stock and a inexpensive tasco scope on mine,what a great shooter, tons of cheep fun!!

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    Did the combo come with the hammer bushings? Because aren't all the newer 10/22s hammer bushings built into the hammer? I always thought about getting the combo, but it doesn't specify that the bushings come with it.
    Mine came with the bushings, and it also had a couple of shims as well. These I didn't use on my TD. The Ruger hammer I took out had, as you mentioned, the bushings integral with the part.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    But you put the bushings in with the new hammer right? I believe you need to do that. The older 10/22s with the separate bushings allow you to reuse them, but the new hammers that have the integrated bushings require new shims to be put in with the target hammer.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    But you put the bushings in with the new hammer right? I believe you need to do that. The older 10/22s with the separate bushings allow you to reuse them, but the new hammers that have the integrated bushings require new shims to be put in with the target hammer.
    The new hammer came with both bushings and shims. I used the bushings, but not the shims. The new hammer MUST use the bushings as it just has a hole where the bushings are on the Ruger hammer. I did not see that I needed to use the shims, as everything fit just fine with the hammer and the new bushings.

Top Bottom