• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I just think it's crazy to be handling loaded weapons on the side of the road. The owner doesn't know the cops experience with his particular weapon and the cops are really taking a chance that they won't get shot by the owner of said weapon. Not saying a LTCH will shoot him/her but it could happen. Or a cop could use that as an excuse to shoot the citizen. Who knows what might happen out there. If a LTCH is produced it should stop there IMO. Somebody is going to get hurt soon and then the shizz will fly! :twocents: :dunno:

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Add the ISP to the growing list of agencies that need to a refresher course in the proper method of dealing with a LTCH holder.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I just think it's crazy to be handling loaded weapons on the side of the road. The owner doesn't know the cops experience with his particular weapon and the cops are really taking a chance that they won't get shot by the owner of said weapon. Not saying a LTCH will shoot him/her but it could happen. Or a cop could use that as an excuse to shoot the citizen. Who knows what might happen out there. If a LTCH is produced it should stop there IMO. Somebody is going to get hurt soon and then the shizz will fly! :twocents: :dunno:

Agreed. Absent an articulable and immediate need to remove a firearm from its safe place and then monkey with it as in this case seems so, very unsafe and is begging for a mishap.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Think of it this way.
    Assume there are 20 witnesses across the street in full view your traffic stop.
    The officer asks for your EDC.
    Probably no one heard the request but you.
    If they were that close the officer would tell them to step back, but I digress.
    The officer waits until your EDC is in plain sight and them pulls out his gun and executes you.
    All of the 20 witnesses would testify that you were reaching for a gun when the officer shot you dead.
    And that is just one of the reasons that allowances are made for protection from illegal search and seizure in the constitution.

Legal Disclaimer:
    This post is not to be taken as LEO bashing. I like the police. I think they are public servants that, for the most part, do an excellent job. Handling loaded guns in public is just dumb and needs to be called out.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    someone once said something about refusing to accept the EDC back from the officer, which will then make them jump thru more legal hoops to get it back to you than they bargained for.

Can someone cover that again...

Jack, I'm working from my phone so I can't post the IC reference, but essentially the code specifies a very particular methodology that must be followed for the lawful return of a firearm to its owner. It requires the seizing officer to submit to the court, in writing, an affidavit attesting to certain things and it has a strict time fence that it allows for that to take place. IIRC, it also specifies penalties to the officer for not complying. When I get home I'll look it up. It would be a ballsy move, but I don't recall anyone posting here how it worked in practice. I think someone over at opencarry.org posted an AAR about going that route though.

Correct for the most part, I need to get busy or else I could find and post it...

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Think of it this way.
    Assume there are 20 witnesses across the street in full view your traffic stop.
    The officer asks for your EDC.
    Probably no one heard the request but you.
    If they were that close the officer would tell them to step back, but I digress.
    The officer waits until your EDC is in plain sight and them pulls out his gun and executes you.
    All of the 20 witnesses would testify that you were reaching for a gun when the officer shot you dead.
    And that is just one of the reasons that allowances are made for protection from illegal search and seizure in the constitution.

Legal Disclaimer:
    This post is not to be taken as LEO bashing. I like the police. I think they are public servants that, for the most part, do an excellent job. Handling loaded guns in public is just dumb and needs to be called out.

There was an officer in Canton, Ohio who had this very attitude

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    The dude cut you some slack on the ticket. No harm no foul.

No harm doesn't necessarily mean no foul. State v Richardson (I believe that's the one, still trying to get these cases down) rules that once a LTCH is presented, all questioning about firearms is to cease. This officer went against that and should be held to the same standards as every other officer. Unless he could articulate to a judge why he disarmed him, he should be held accountable. The only reasons for someone to be disarmed is if they presented a threat to themselves of another individual.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Next time exert your rights. Let us know how it goes. INGO needs a good guinea pig before the rest of us arm chairs jump in.

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    I can say this is VERY TRUE.

I was stopped about 3 years ago for speeding, 49 in a 40(didn't know it went from 55 to 40). It was a state cop, I produced my license and LTCH, he immediately made me get out of my car, and disarmed me, taking my gun with him back to his car instructing me to put my hands on my car and not move while he "ran my gun".

Same thing as OP, got a warning, and he handed my gun back unloaded, told me not to reload it until he left.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Here’s the code (thanks, Rookie)… it looks to me as if we can simply refuse to accept the firearm back and the LEO will have to then explain to the court why he took the gun away from us.

As added by P.L.1-2006, SEC.537. IC 35-47-14-3 Warrantless seizure of firearm from individual believed to be dangerous Sec. 3. (a) If a law enforcement officer seizes a firearm from an individual whom the law enforcement officer believes to be dangerous without obtaining a warrant, the law enforcement officer shall submit to the circuit or superior court having jurisdiction over the individual believed to be dangerous a written statement under oath or affirmation describing the basis for the law enforcement officer's belief that the individual is dangerous. (b) The court shall review the written statement submitted under subsection (a). If the court finds that probable cause exists to believe that the individual is dangerous, the court shall order the law enforcement agency having custody of the firearm to retain the firearm. If the court finds that there is no probable cause to believe that the individual is dangerous, the court shall order the law enforcement agency having custody of the firearm to return the firearm to the individual. (c) This section does not authorize a law enforcement officer to perform a warrantless search or seizure if a warrant would otherwise be required.

It will mean doing without that particular firearm for a few weeks, but I think if a LEO has to go thru this even once, he and most of his mates are going to think very hard before they do it again.

What would be the proper way to refuse to accept it, though. Roll up the window and not allow him to pass it to you. I wonder what would happen if he then just puts it on your roof and walks away. Is he at fault for any loss if you just drive away and let it fall to the road?

wilianknow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have a good story to tell. Was stopped by IPD last friday night. I handed him my DL and LCH. He asked me if i was packing and told him ya just my Glock 22. Then him told me one of my headlights where out and have a nice night.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    What would be the proper way to refuse to accept it, though. Roll up the window and not allow him to pass it to you. I wonder what would happen if he then just puts it on your roof and walks away. Is he at fault for any loss if you just drive away and let it fall to the road?

I've been asking myself that same question as I've read through this thread. If ever there were a time to have video rolling...

Top Bottom