• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Ok, so after a LONG day I decided to go to my girlfriends house for the night. Got in my car, car wont start. I called her and she "rushed" to come get me. I mentioned that I was hungry so we went to mcdonolds. The second we get there, a cop car turns his lights on. (she was driving her car, i was riding shotgun)... anyway, he came up, and asked for her license, she didnt have it on her as she left her purse home. He said her plates were expired and then asked if she had been drinking. She said no and I quickly owned up to it. I had one beer literally 2 minutes ago. I said yes and he asked for my ID. Before reaching for my wallet I said "sir I want to inform you I am carrying" he asked where it was and if I had a LTCH... I showed him where without touching it and handed him my id/ltch. He came around the side and politely "asked" to disarmed me (he was going to, but he was nice about it). I wasnt super happy, but I had technically been drinking and if it meant giving us a chance to get home without trouble, so be it. Anyway, he takes that and my ltch and goes to the car, runs it all, comes back, and says. "ok here is your gun, it is unloaded, ill put the magazine and the ammo in the back seat, ok?" I said that wasnt a problem. He came around to her side and said "ok, i appreciate what you two are doing, (her being the DD) we ran your plates and they arent expired but you need to get the sticker, and you need your license. I could write you a couple fines, but you were very cooperative and did everything right as far as im concerned. You two take care and enjoy your meal. Just be sure to get home soon and get that taken care of because some other cops might handle this a bit differently. Have a good night."

Nice guy, didnt bust our balls, realized everything was ok, and let us go. I didnt get his name, but hes the second muncie pd to be a kick ass dude to me. So, whoever you are, thank you sir!

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I'll give it 9 posts before it turns into a bashing... and that's just because it got posted at 2am.

For the record though, you were the one in the situation and could tell by the LEOs tone and actions how the traffic stop was going. So if you're happy with it, so be it. Glad you guys didn't get written up for anything.

Last edited:

Ineverfollow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Madison County
    I would wright your ass a ticket for being a Pats fan!! Kidding you guys all get mad because the LEO takes your gun when you get stopped. They run every single gun just like a car vin number to see if it is stolen. MPD took 3 stolen guns just 2 days ago. They were 3 out off 100 that were stolen from a gun shop. Just letting you guys that get mad about them asking for your guns that is why they do it. Glad you didn't get a ticket. I had to get a sticker for my trailer it cost me $10 bucks to get it reprinted.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    my best friends brother is a muncie pd. younger guy but hes pretty cool headed. Sounds like something he would do. Glad you had a good experience.

He must have been in his 50s. He had grey hair but didnt look like he was 80 haha. Im not sure.

The officer was probably thrilled to not see a hammered college kid. I wish I was drinking in Muncie tonight :)

I NEVER carry when I drink. After yesterdays pile of bs on top of my car not starting, I wanted A beer. Even then, normally id leave it in my bedroom, but I wanted to bring it with me since we were staying at her house for the night.

I left a lot of dialogue out, we had a pretty good conversation as far as being pulled over goes. He could tell I wasnt drunk or even buzzed. Just smelled it (initially thought it was my girlfriend hahah).

I'll give it 9 posts before it turns into a bashing... and that's just because it got posted at 2am.

Im curious as to why?

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I would wright your ass a ticket for being a Pats fan!! Kidding you guys all get mad because the LEO takes your gun when you get stopped. They run every single gun just like a car vin number to see if it is stolen. MPD took 3 stolen guns just 2 days ago. They were 3 out off 100 that were stolen from a gun shop. Just letting you guys that get mad about them asking for your guns that is why they do it. Glad you didn't get a ticket. I had to get a sticker for my trailer it cost me $10 bucks to get it reprinted.

No, I don't get mad if a LEO asks to take my gun to run the numbers. The reason is reasonable, and they can ask anything they like. I get mad when the LEO ignores the fact that my valid LTCH ceases any further questioning, including disarming me and running the numbers. Sorry that my rights trump the unnecessary (and potentially illegal) search of my legal firearm.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I get mad when the LEO ignores the fact that my valid LTCH ceases any further questioning, including disarming me and running the numbers.

^this..... believe me, like I said, I wasnt very happy about it. However, he was very nice and aside from disarming me, he was very respectful. If it meant avoiding a "situation" including screwing my girlfriend over, ill deal with it.

Funniest part. Im sitting there, with my head out of the window talking to his "backup" about how cold it was. And I heard him running it... he said "its a glock.... uh.... (it was dark) "I said "27! .40 ######" made me lol

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I get mad when the LEO ignores the fact that my valid LTCH ceases any further questioning, including disarming me and running the numbers. Sorry that my rights trump the unnecessary (and potentially illegal and dangerous) search of my legal firearm.

This.

Nice to hear you had a pleasant experience though, OP.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    The only question I ever have is why do the police feel it necessary to check the serial numbers on my firearm? Sure, there were some guns stolen in Muncie. So what? What makes the officer think my gun is one of the stolen ones? Especially if I have an LTCH.

I have asked some of my police officer friends this same question. Most of them tell me it is just department policy. I then ask them why they don't check my cell phone to see if it is stolen. Or why they don't check the ham radio in my car to see if it is stolen. Or why they don't check the 800 mhz radio I have in my car to see if it is stolen. I usually don't get an answer to those questions. I then ask them why the mere possession of a firearm makes them think it is stolen. Usually, the answer is, "It's just department policy".

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I'm curious as to why?

I think my sarcasm got lost in the transfer across the interwebz. :): My bad.
    I was just sarcastically saying that people normally jump all over others for giving a +1 to a cop that took your pistol away. The part about 2am was just another layer of sarcasm hinting that if it would have been posted in the early evening, it wouldn't have taken even the 9 posts before bashing.

It was my sad attempt at "being up studying till 3am for an exam this morning" humor. It's worth noting that it was a complete fail... :wallbash:

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    No, I don't get mad if a LEO asks to take my gun to run the numbers. The reason is reasonable, and they can ask anything they like. I get mad when the LEO ignores the fact that my valid LTCH ceases any further questioning, including disarming me and running the numbers. Sorry that my rights trump the unnecessary (and potentially illegal) search of my legal firearm.

And there it begins.....it doesn't matter if you have the LTCH, they obviously are running them due to the recent thefts. You could purchase a stolen firearm via private party and not even know. If I were in their shoes I would do the very same thing.

It sounds like a conversation the nightshift k9 seargent (back when I did ridealongs with MPD) would have had with you, but the majority of MPD night shift officers are the best ones they have. Always loved riding with them:yesway:

Also, thank you OP for a good review of them, they were good people when I was around them, and I'm sure those same people are still good:patriot:

Edit: However, I would have given you a sheet of paper claiming to be a ticket for being a Pat's fan.....just to be funny ;)

Top Bottom