• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My wife and I had been wanting / needing a weekend get-away for a while. We decided to give Brown Co. state park a try, as we'd heard lots of good things about it.

We had a great time mountain biking, ate great food at the restaurant in the lodge, an dhad an all around good time. The indoor water park in the lodge is also very nice, and very family friendly.

Highly recommend for a nice weekend get away, especially with the fall colors starting to show. :yesway:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Brown county is awesome, one of our favorite places to go and your right its a great getaway weekend for the entire family. Good hiking in the park and its a good time to walk around Nashville In. also.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    My family and I stayed at the Abe Martin Lodge last December. It was -2 outside but we had a great time splashing at the indoor pool.

A question: My wife and I will be doing some hiking at Brown County State Park next month. I will open carry on the trails there. If you were armed, did you open carry or conceal carry? (Just curious as to what reactions you may have encountered from fellow hikers)

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I CCW'd the entire time, even when biking. Not a single double take, or look on the contrary. Then again, that's part of CC'ing.

Firearms are strictly prohibited except within the given rules, which does allow handguns to legally be carried by citizens with valid LTCH. I was very pleased to see that so clearly spelled out in their literature.

The DNR has all the other info as well. But basically, if you have a LTCH, you're good to go.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Thanks for the feedback. I open carried last fall at Harrison-Crawford State Forest. Got a few double takes but no problems from anybody. Given the closeness of IU to Brown County, I figured I might run into a frown or two. I'll just smile and say "howdy!"

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My family has gone to Brown County State Park for decades (We also enjoy Spring Mill). We enjoy it very much. My nephews live in the pool.:D

I've carried there, wearing my 1911 and bug both carried IWB with the shirt tucked in (so the top halves of the pistols show). No one has said anything to me with one exception.

One evening we were down in the reception area/"living room" playing Uno around a coffee table with the boys and I got up to get another water. An elderly man who was reading asked me if I was carrying a 1911. I replied "yes, sir". He smiled and said "you don't see many of those carried anymore" and went back to his book.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Thanks for the feedback. I open carried last fall at Harrison-Crawford State Forest. Got a few double takes but no problems from anybody. Given the closeness of IU to Brown County, I figured I might run into a frown or two. I'll just smile and say "howdy!"

The wife and I just got back from Brown County State Park yesterday. Open carry turned into a moot point given the weather...cloudy, low 40s on saturday morning. I wore a light jacket and it covered my hip holstered Single Six with just the lower end of the leather sticking out. No one even noticed.

Note: I hiked trails near the Abe Martin Lodge and one at the far end of the park away from the Lodge. There were alot of people near the Lodge but hardly anyone on the trail at the far west end of the park. Fewer people means more fun but we had a great time regardless.

gus1989

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Sounds like you had a great time. I'm fortunate that i live in Nashville. I go to the park about 2 or 3 times a week. The lodge is fantastic and the campground is pretty nice too (weekends are crowded though). I love walking all the trails including the MB trails. They were a great addition - I just need to get a bike. There are lots of Geocaches around too if your in to that (it's a fun sport).

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I was there yesterday and carried iwb no one noticed but I was carrying my new Sig P238 all black against a black shirt. Out of respect for others I would not carry owbso as not to scare the libs that like Nashville as well. I would and have OC in the State Forrest and would think nothing of it. The park was crowded but still nice to visit.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    My wife and I are going hiking in Brown County state park this Saturday. I have lots of memories as a kid going camping there, and always like to go back to visit.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Yeah, BCSP is great... until you have to carry out a 250#er from the end of Strahl lake. :rolleyes: If you hike the trails do so in the day light or have a very good flashlight. The roots and rocks can wreak havoc on the ill prepared.

Wait for cabins the last I heard was a year.

Probably won't have too much of a problem with locals, it's the out of towners that worry me. Which is usually who is at the park on weekends.

If you OC might be ready to have a conversation with LEO or Park Security. One time somebody called in a uniformed LEO for OCing in Nashville. It was pretty funny:D. There is more to that one, though probably not for here;)

gus1989

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    If you hike the trails do so in the day light or have a very good flashlight. The roots and rocks can wreak havoc on the ill prepared.

That's a good point. I've taken a couple spills and stubbed a few toes. Also watch the wooden bridges and stairs that are on some trails (they can be very slippery when wet and some steps have uneven heights). :stretcher:

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I CCW'd the entire time, even when biking. Not a single double take, or look on the contrary. Then again, that's part of CC'ing.

Yeah, CCW is normal in Brown County. I have camped there I don't know how many times and I did stay at the Abe Martin Lodge for a few days back in 2000 for a family reunion. Nice place and you can't beat the scenery there either.

Top Bottom