• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    Been saving for while to buy a Kimber. found it online by time i get it in my hands i will have around $1400 in it. Now that i have the money, i keep asking myself do i really want to carry a gun this expensive, id be afraid to scratch it or drop it. Ive also been wanting either a XDS or shield and also a glock 29, 2 cheaper priced guns that i wouldnt really care if they showed wear. Looking for some other peoples thoughts on what they would do.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    Im the "buy once, cry once" crowd. I also love nice 1911's , so I would say the Kimber. At $1400 for a Kimber I assume its something like the Grand Raptor II ? if so they are a thing of beauty (I have one) and you may cry , just from how much you love it.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    After I pick up my newest gun Friday I'll have $1200 spent on 4 handguns. Unless you really really want the Kimber, go for the 2 less expensive guns. You can always save up again and get the Kimber in the future. Options are good

Slider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Brownsburg
    Im the "buy once, cry once" crowd. I also love nice 1911's , so I would say the Kimber. At $1400 for a Kimber I assume its something like the Grand Raptor II ? if so they are a thing of beauty (I have one) and you may cry , just from how much you love it.

But what do you do if you have to send the kimber in to be fixed and have no backup? Do you go weeks without a gun to carry? Just curious.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    For a carry gun, reliability and performance are top priority. I would buy a quality gun that you have confidence in, after all your trusting your life on it. Carry it, and don't worry about if it gets a scratch on it or if the finish shows a little wear after a year or two. That's cosmetic stuff. Your peace of mind is worth it. You can always have your favorite gun "prettied up" from time to time and it will look just like new.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    For a carry gun, reliability and performance are top priority. I would buy a quality gun that you have confidence in, after all your trusting your life on it. Carry it, and don't worry about if it gets a scratch on it or if the finish shows a little wear after a year or two. That's cosmetic stuff. Your peace of mind is worth it. You can always have your favorite gun "prettied up" from time to time and it will look just like new.
    Yes. And you can do that for $700. And then get another one for $700. Then you'll have 2 guns. 2>1

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Yes. And you can do that for $700. And then get another one for $700. Then you'll have 2 guns. 2>1

Agreed, 100%. High reliability, that is the thing for a carry piece. May take a little range time and experimentation to break it in and find the right ammo, but as long as it goes bang when the trigger is pulled, that's what counts.

I'd rather be in a race with Pinto that runs like a raped ape than a Corvette that won't start.

digitalphoenix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    In a cornfield.
    You can get a Glock and a Springfield Loaded for the same price of a Kimber in most cases. Kimbers are overrated IMO. Most people just buy them to flash the price tag on people. It's more logical to carry a cheaper gun because if you ever have to use your firearm in self defense, you're not out 1400 bucks. More like paying a monthly payment of a car instead of a mortgage payment.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    buy two nice guns...i mean you can get a sig 226 and a p938 for that much mony...or save a little bit and get a schroeder bauman 1911 and at least give your money to a Fort Wayne based company for a custom 1911 instead of a kimber.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Buy what *you* like. There are good arguments either way. But you're the only one that knows which you'll value the most

Top Bottom