• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    After looking at the summary of the Rose case, I have a couple of questions, that may have no answers.

Rose was 19yo. He pleaded guilty to two level 3 felony counts of armed robbery in Aug 2019. He was sentenced in Sep 2019. He was given credit for 171 days served, and was sentenced to a term of 10 years, with 6 years suspended, the remaining 4 years to be served in the comfort of his own home. Even given consideration of reducing 1 year of home detention if he were to obtain a GED.

Less than 8 months later, he's killed in a shoot-out with police, in what is believed to be an attempted ambush.

I'm not an attorney, so I'm trying to understand these insane sentencing guidelines. Ultimately, who is accountable for such a sentence? Is it purely judge discretion? Are there legislative rules/regulations?

I certainly place all accountability of the crime on the criminal. However, shouldn't there be some accountability, somewhere, for knowingly allowing a violent felon to hang out at home? Honestly, is this normal procedure? Only an expectation of serving 30% of a sentence for armed robbery, and serving it at home?

It seems laughable that we, as a society, ask men and women of law enforcement to round up violent felons, only to watch them be sent home. Not to mention potentially being ambushed by the same violent felon, less than 8 months later...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    After looking at the summary of the Rose case, I have a couple of questions, that may have no answers.

Rose was 19yo. He pleaded guilty to two level 3 felony counts of armed robbery in Aug 2019. He was sentenced in Sep 2019. He was given credit for 171 days served, and was sentenced to a term of 10 years, with 6 years suspended, the remaining 4 years to be served in the comfort of his own home. Even given consideration of reducing 1 year of home detention if he were to obtain a GED.

Less than 8 months later, he's killed in a shoot-out with police, in what is believed to be an attempted ambush.

I'm not an attorney, so I'm trying to understand these insane sentencing guidelines. Ultimately, who is accountable for such a sentence? Is it purely judge discretion? Are there legislative rules/regulations?

I certainly place all accountability of the crime on the criminal. However, shouldn't there be some accountability, somewhere, for knowingly allowing a violent felon to hang out at home? Honestly, is this normal procedure? Only an expectation of serving 30% of a sentence for armed robbery, and serving it at home?

It seems laughable that we, as a society, ask men and women of law enforcement to round up violent felons, only to watch them be sent home. Not to mention potentially being ambushed by the same violent felon, less than 8 months later...

This is the way of things now. So many good solid folks have no idea this is going on. But it is. Get used to it and understand that is one of the top reasons we are armed at all times.
    Last summer I was filling up at the Speedway station just south of us. There was a gathering of **** bags out by the dumpster. At least 80% of them were sporting ankle monitors. WTAF.

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Maybe we have repeat offenders because there is little consequence for being an offender.

Understood, and agreed. Really, I guess my question is based on my desire to know where to place my ire. As I mentioned, I'll always place the blame on the criminal. But it seems to me that in at least some cases, the system is enabling them. I'd like to know who, exactly, are the enablers.

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    This is the way of things now. So many good solid folks have no idea this is going on. But it is. Get used to it and understand that is one of the top reasons we are armed at all times.
    Last summer I was filling up at the Speedway station just south of us. There was a gathering of **** bags out by the dumpster. At least 80% of them were sporting ankle monitors. WTAF.

Agreed on all points. I've long known that sentencing was "light", as I'll call it, but this particular case just really stood out to me, on many levels. The age of the offender, the original crime, the sentence, and the final crime that ended with his death, and could have ended in the death of more police officers. Sheer insanity...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Understood, and agreed. Really, I guess my question is based on my desire to know where to place my ire. As I mentioned, I'll always place the blame on the criminal. But it seems to me that in at least some cases, the system is enabling them. I'd like to know who, exactly, are the enablers.

With those we elect and put in power. Gov.'s Mayors Prosecutors judges and the like. The term revolving door is a real thing. In the front and out the back.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    With those we elect and put in power. Gov.'s Mayors Prosecutors judges and the like. The term revolving door is a real thing. In the front and out the back.

If he has been in prison where he belonged he wouldn't be in a closed casket today. THEY are culpable in this event as well.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

Prosecutors, judges, Legislature. Not necessarily in that order.

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    If he has been in prison where he belonged he wouldn't be in a closed casket today. THEY are culpable in this event as well.

I guess that's what I'm getting at. The judge in this particular case sentenced a 2x level 3 violent felon to 3 years home detention. Said felon then (allegedly) attempted to murder several police officers, less than 8 months after his sentence.

Is that total judge discretion? Does the Indiana legislature play a part?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I guess that's what I'm getting at. The judge in this particular case sentenced a 2x level 3 violent felon to 3 years home detention. Said felon then (allegedly) attempted to murder several police officers, less than 8 months after his sentence.

I’ll show my ignorance here but are the judges who preside over these type of cases elected? If so, there should be some sort of scoring system developed where the voters can view a judge’s performance and vote accordingly.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

If you are wanting to know why more serious offenders from major urban areas don’t get long periods of incarceration, IMO the first and foremost reason is that “we the people” are utterly unwilling to foot the tax bill and social costs of what that would look like. Warehousing huge numbers of human beings is incredibly expensive, especially when they usually come out harder than when they went in. Nevermind the rippling social costs.

I find the question of why we have so many people in need of warehousing to be much more interesting than question of how do we warehouse them all.

Remember, “we the people” elect the legislators who set the criminal penalties, taxes and budgets, the prosecutors who determine the charges brought, and the judges who determines the sentences.

The justice system we have is a reflection of our society. If you want to change the system, you need to change society. In my opinion, you do that first and foremost by how you interact with those around you and how you raise your kids.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    I’ll show my ignorance here but are the judges who preside over these type of cases elected? If so, there should be some sort of scoring system developed where the voters can view a judge’s performance and vote accordingly.

Yes they are elected, but if you think you are going to get a lot of harsh sentencing judges in Marion County, I would say you are very mistaken as to the wishes and desires of the majority of the electorate there.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Police talking about him shooting through the taze at 1:22.

[video=youtube;z8qCQnfDCpc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8qCQnfDCpc[/video]

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yes they are elected, but if you think you are going to get a lot of harsh sentencing judges in Marion County, I would say you are very mistaken as to the wishes and desires of the majority of the electorate there.

Well...we get the government we vote for, I guess.

I’ve always struggled trying to find out if I should vote to retain a judge or not. Sifting through all of their cases, parsing out whether they’re deciding and ruling the properly or not is a monumental task.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Well...we get the government we vote for, I guess.

I’ve always struggled trying to find out if I should vote to retain a judge or not. Sifting through all of their cases, parsing out whether they’re deciding and ruling the properly or not is a monumental task.

Appeals court judges have retention votes, trial court judges are direct election every six years.

Top Bottom