Somebody stole my tree stand...from my property!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    This chaps my rear end!!! I took my daughter squirrel hunting this morning and walked back to where my tree stand should be and it was GONE!!! Try to understand I only own 12 arcres its not like its a vast amount of land. I can see the tree from the back of my house. It was just a cheapo hang on but that is not the point. It sets on a creek/river so it had to be a trapper/dog runner and it pisses me off!! :ranton:

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Dude, sorry to hear that. Just make you so mad that people can't keep their hands off what doesn't belong to them.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Had 2 snatched from my in-laws property... they were cheapies,so I didn't have them cabled to the tree. Still pissed me off, though. I guess locks keep honest people honest.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    field camera

If you decide to put up another one you should invest a 100 or so dollars and get you a field/game camera, some have 15 20 second video recording.
    Point the direction of the unit at the entrance of your land or near your stand.

My uncle had a problem with these idiots making Meth on his land,
    he has installed a few game cameras on his land waiting for those degenerates to come back.

IndyK:patriot:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I try to be nice and have a caring attitude in general about "people", but the further my life progresses, the more I've learned one constant about the ever declining society we live in: People Suck. Sorry someone swiped your stuff. Hope you find out who did it somehow.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I lost a couple of API Baby Grands until I just started cable locking them. These were so far back I would not have thought they could be found, but they were.

A friend of mine in Perry county caught two guys coming out of the woods with his stands (ladders) in the back of a pickup. They claimed that they had "found" the stands in the woods. He drew thier attention to his name and phone number carved on the side and made the thieves put them back up.

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    yeah I will be locking the next and I like the name idea also! Its good to have good friends because I made one call and I had a new hang-on on its way in hours! FREE!!
    But is still burns my butt that someone was on my property and took my stuff. It may be time for a covert midnight operation!!!
    :shady:

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Just like I told my hubby when he was having hunter encroachment issues a couple of years back... "you're going to have to **** on your own tree stand in order to mark your territory!"

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    I would definately go with the game camera option. If they did it once, they try again.
    I've tore down and taken other peoples tree stands, but that was only when they set them up on out property without permission.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    A friend of mine in Perry county caught two guys coming out of the woods with his stands (ladders) in the back of a pickup. They claimed that they had "found" the stands in the woods. He drew thier attention to his name and phone number carved on the side and made the thieves put them back up.

I hope he buried them out there after they put them back up...:ar15:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Only problem with the cameras is that they will probably steal those too. They will steal anything that IS nailed down!

I always hate to hear of that stuff man. These hilljacks think that since it's out in the open, for some reason, its theirs. I hate to hear of a loss like a treestand, because its more than just the stand. It means you spent a LONG time finding a good spot, measuring, observing the land and animal behavior to get that spot, set up the stand without disturbing the area (so the animals will come back), only to have the Wit brothers (Dim, No, and Half) make a ruckuss, steal the stand and potentially disturb the local wildlife.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    yeah I will be locking the next and I like the name idea also! Its good to have good friends because I made one call and I had a new hang-on on its way in hours! FREE!!
    But is still burns my butt that someone was on my property and took my stuff. It may be time for a covert midnight operation!!!
    :shady:

I'd say go for it on that midnight operation. I"m lucky I haven't had this problem myself yet. Having 2 out in our woods. But one is cable locked and the other would be kinda tough to steal. Only a few people we know and trust are allowed back there and we monitor it closely, I do especially. Although one day last season I was hunting and a couple kids drove by on 4 wheeler, then turned down the grassy lane that goes between the woods and the field. On their way back out I confronted them since I was close to the edge anyways. They didn't realize it was private property..:n00b: Even though we have No tresspassing signs posted, time to post more I guess.

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    Only problem with the cameras is that they will probably steal those too. They will steal anything that IS nailed down!

I always hate to hear of that stuff man. These hilljacks think that since it's out in the open, for some reason, its theirs. I hate to hear of a loss like a treestand, because its more than just the stand. It means you spent a LONG time finding a good spot, measuring, observing the land and animal behavior to get that spot, set up the stand without disturbing the area (so the animals will come back), only to have the Wit brothers (Dim, No, and Half) make a ruckuss, steal the stand and potentially disturb the local wildlife.
    Hit the nail on the head on all points!!

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    I have been ripped off on a few occasions. Last year someone stole one of my game cameras, and the film out of another that had the other camera in view so they wouldn't get caught. Two years ago someone stole a brand new 2 man ladder stand off some leased property. I thought I would get smart, and lock another to the tree. Went in to find one mornin someone had stolen 2 of 3 sections off ladder, and left the sit down portion locked to the tree !!! BASTARDS !!!

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I had problems with people tresspassing on my lease last year. They stole an 8-pointer that I shot with my bow. Never took any tree stands, the people leasing next to me had a stand stolen though. I suspect it was the same ***-clowns. :xmad:

PM66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Crumstown, IN
    I had a stand stolen right off the farm, when I still lived at home. It really does tick a person off! Ever since then, I've used a 3/8 cable lock.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I have been ripped off on a few occasions. Last year someone stole one of my game cameras, and the film out of another that had the other camera in view so they wouldn't get caught. Two years ago someone stole a brand new 2 man ladder stand off some leased property. I thought I would get smart, and lock another to the tree. Went in to find one mornin someone had stolen 2 of 3 sections off ladder, and left the sit down portion locked to the tree !!! BASTARDS !!!

another guy I hunt with had this prob when he went in to check his stands last year. Someone had stolen the bottom portions of the stand ladder. He had some extra pieces from another stand, but they weren't quite the right width. So he lashed them up on the one side. Then he told me I could use that stand.... He actually did a decent job of getting it solid.

Top Bottom