• Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Not a dumb question by any means.

While I can't give you specifics, I would not have a problem with
    consuming plastic bottled water that was 5-years old or older if needed.

Of course, I would prefer to draw fresh water from the ground and
    filter/disinfect it provided that was an option.

For storing water in times of need, it seems we don't have many options.

Metal cans are out, glass jars are not really practical any more
    so that pretty much just leaves plastic containers. (stored out of ANY sunlight)

I'm sure others will chime in with some real facts, not just my opinion.

whipfinish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Thanks for the information. I have noticed that bottled water prices are being discounted and was planning to stock up. unfortunately, I don't have a well to draw from.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Don't have it handy to refer to, but there was an article in the Indy star, a month or so ago, about how the water that comes in those little plastic bottles, is NOT required to pass the same quality tests as tap water. In fact, it said that in many states, bottled water would not pass the testing necessary to come out of your faucet. I for one have seen stuff floating in old, factory sealed bottled water, and am not convinced that it will store as long as some would like to believe. :twocents:

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I can't remember the specific details but it goes something like this:

plain tap water stored in food grade FDA approved containers will be acceptable for about 6 months. Then it should be rotated out and replaced with clean water.

Plain tap water treated with some other chemical (can't remember which one) can help the treated water to last 5 years in storage.

Here are some links for review:

Potable Aqua - The World's Leading Personal Water Purification Tablet

Water Preserver Concentrate - 2D

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    The bottles at work(Walmart, walmart brand water) usually have a two year expiration date and are usually brought to us during the same month made.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    This is a difficult question to answer because the shelf life of water depends on the original quality of the water, the temperature at which it is stored, and how much light it is exposed to just to name a few factors.

However, if you do things right, studies show that if water is bacteria free and stored in clean containers (i.e. treat it and put it in washed containers) in the proverbial cool/dark place it will remain safe to drink for several years. It can go "flat" over time, but that can be fixed by aeriating it and has nothing to do with potability. One often sees the recommendation to rotate your water every year, and that's fine, but it will be safe to drink significantly longer than that if you do your part.

This is if I were doing the storeage myself using tap water as a base and my own washed containers (of which I know the history).

Personally, I wouldn't trust the pre-bottled stuff for any longer than a year, but that's my own opinion. Some mfg put an expiration date on their bottles. Follow that date and you should be fine.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Care to tell us something about it so we don't have to give up our email address to get the sales info?

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    On a side note, I noticed your in Central Indiana.

Water purification tablets would be a good thing to have on hand.
    Zesco on Capitol Ave., Indianapolis has disinfect tablets in bulk.

Not only can they be used in dishwater in times of power outages to disinfect dishes, pots, pans, etc., but they can be used to disinfect rain water.
    Of course, having a few small plastic tarps is a good idea for catching the rainwater.

But in times of SHTF, tarps are like beacons to the bad guys that someone is home.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Municipal tap water (chlorinated) can be easily stored for 6 months to 1 year.

Store bought - check the expiration date. 1-2 years I suspect.

Well water, treated with chlorine (household bleach) and properly sealed 1 year at least. I would recommend a 2-year rotation cycle... first year it's drinking water, second year it's toilet flushing water. It would probably be safe to drink though for a few years.

Store in a cool dark place, algae will grow in sunlight, but chlorine helps inhibit algae growth.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Don't have it handy to refer to, but there was an article in the Indy star, a month or so ago, about how the water that comes in those little plastic bottles, is NOT required to pass the same quality tests as tap water. In fact, it said that in many states, bottled water would not pass the testing necessary to come out of your faucet. I for one have seen stuff floating in old, factory sealed bottled water, and am not convinced that it will store as long as some would like to believe. :twocents:
    If it is spring water the above is correct. If it is purified drinking water that is not the case. Purified drinking water is the only water you should be consuming. The spring waters have less regulations i.e pollutants, particles, etc. Purified drinking water is just that.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I read about the shelf life of bottled water not to long ago. Essentially N.J. required exp dates on any food sold in the state. so the bottling company's put dates on everything instead of special bottles for N.J.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I would be cautious of drinking anything other than distilled water that has been stored for long periods of time...as distilled is the purest form of water you can get.

I keep about 4 gallons in my vehicle at all times.

indysafe317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Indy South Side
    On a side note, I noticed your in Central Indiana.

Water purification tablets would be a good thing to have on hand.
    Zesco on Capitol Ave., Indianapolis has disinfect tablets in bulk.

Not only can they be used in dishwater in times of power outages to disinfect dishes, pots, pans, etc., but they can be used to disinfect rain water.
    Of course, having a few small plastic tarps is a good idea for catching the rainwater.

But in times of SHTF, tarps are like beacons to the bad guys that someone is home.
    Is this the cheapest you have found them. I didn't see the price online on their web anywhere.

JustGone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    In the PRK now =(
    What about stocking up on those tablets the military uses to make dirty water drinkable? You plop one into a canister of water you got from a stream or water hole. Are those available on the open market?

**just saw what Arm America posted about them lol darn my eyes!**

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well like EatMeerKats said, if you put clean potable water away in a clean container, it is good indefinately. It might get flat or a taste from the container, but flat water can be poured back and forth to re-oxygenate it, I wouldn't stress about it too much, as long as everything starts clean.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    On this topic, do any of you have any information for a good water filtration system?

I'm giving some serious thought to buying one of these, and a couple filters.

Katadyn Base Camp [8010655 Kat] : ManVenture Outpost, Your Discount Outfitter for Hunting, Shooting, Camping, Knives, and the Great Outdoors

It seems to be a pretty good deal from what I've read of water filters. Combine this with some water stored in containers and even if the water goes bad you can run it through the filter and you're back to having good water.

Top Bottom