• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whipfinish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I have been using the Katadyn Hiker Pro for several years with great success. Several friends have older versions that are equally reliable. Not good for large volume of water fast, but durable with spare parts easily accessible. Can't go wrong here.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I ended up buying the Katadyn Base camp & and I'll eventually buy the Katadyn Hiker. They use the same filter and that's a big plus in my book.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have been using the Katadyn Hiker Pro for several years with great success. Several friends have older versions that are equally reliable. Not good for large volume of water fast, but durable with spare parts easily accessible. Can't go wrong here.
    Just to tell you how old mine is, it's the PUR Hiker, but it's done well on the AT and in the Wind River Range. I'm looking a t getting a Berkey for the house though, them seemed to be used internationally in areas were all your water needs to be purified.

Hook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Romney
    I have well water and store it in clean gallon milk jugs. I just add 1/4 teaspoon of chlorine bleach per gallon and it stays good for at least a year.
    As far as the filter, I've had real good luck with my Katadyn Vario. 90.00 bucks from Cheaper Than Dirt.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    City water, with its chlorine, will last indefinitely. I would use plastic that's specially made for long term storage, or glass. Milk jugs are made to start decomposing. In fact, the expiration dates on bottled water are not for the water itself, but for the bottles and jugs.

As long as it's sealed, I don't have any problem drinking water that's somewhat old. I filled up a 2qt canteen at Mississinewa and drank it more than 6 months later. It had laid in my truck all that time, being frozen in the winter and about 120 in the summer, give or take.

Just keep the germs out and you'll be fine.

Josh <><

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Not a problem. Let me know if you find any.

Seems that when I left mine with my parents, they got used for gasoline somehow... grrr...

JimR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    If you are really concerned about using big plastic bottles then glass carboys are available. You can get these at any homebrew store. Come in 5 and 6 gallons.

Keep a backpacking water filter handy along with purification tablets.

Top Bottom