• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    My question to the rest of you is what is your plan for your pets in a SHTF scenario? What kind of pet is it? Food plan? What are pros and cons of having your pet when SHTF? Etc.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Kind of a tough subject for me. Had Beagles for ~years~, but after the last one past, I've held off bringing in another dog because we are in a Bug Out situation, not a Bug In. If we were out on a farm, hell yeah I'd have dogs & would find whatever means available to keep them fed.

What that would look like, I don't know. I'm interested too in what plans others have.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    if it is bug out, dog is going with me. unfortunately for the sugar glider, she will more than likely not be coming along for the ride.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    My question to the rest of you is what is your plan for your pets in a SHTF scenario? What kind of pet is it? Food plan? What are pros and cons of having your pet when SHTF? Etc.

Dinner of course!

All jokes aside mine will be going with since she don't eat much.

Should get St Bernards and then you could breed them like cattle.

Brother has 2 of them and they are steer for the kids anyway. :D

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Portable food if needed, my dog will either feed me, or i will feed on fido as a last resort, he is a pretty good game dog so he might be safe for a while.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Muncie
    Chihuahua watch dog! We already have food put back. About a years worth, but that doesn't amount to a whole lot. Around 60lbs dry and several cases of canned. One alarm system for buggin-in, but detrimental for the same reason buggin-out.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Eat it. I have a young pug, so she's fat and tender :laugh:. I would take her along. She go's hiking with me on the regular, and is little enough I can carry her if needed. They make packs for dogs. A good general rule is a dog should only carry enough weight for it's own supplies.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    My germanator will not bark at anything in public (not even cats) but will bark at strangers that come near my apartment.

Great dog. :D

Unfortunately with my situation i'm not able to stock pile on dog food.

Soon as I get out of school and into a home, i plan on hunting and canning meat. All scrap meat i'm giving to him.

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    I don't currently have a food stock for my best friend but I would share mine with her. She would also help me find food, she is pretty good at squirrel and rabbit, I even seen her try to take out a deer on the farm over the winter lol

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    What kind of SHTF?

We have 6 months or more of food stocked for the cat and fish. Buy in bulk, and store away.

If the house burns down, I'm not risking my life to go back inside for them. Sorry.

If we are forced from the house (i.e.: pack our bags and go), the cat will go with us. Not the fish, though.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    What kind of SHTF?

We have 6 months or more of food stocked for the cat and fish. Buy in bulk, and store away.

If the house burns down, I'm not risking my life to go back inside for them. Sorry.

If we are forced from the house (i.e.: pack our bags and go), the cat will go with us. Not the fish, though.

:n00b:

CAT? :n00b:

Unless your cat can protect you, warn you of strangers around you or help you hunt for food.....more power to u

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

Unless your cat can protect you, warn you of strangers around you or help you hunt for food.....more power to u

Not everyone is prepping for the Zombie Apocalypse or Red Dawn. :rolleyes: I don't plan on living in the woods and killing my breakfast just because the power is out for a few days.

There are a lot more things much more likely to happen, and yes, I plan on taking our cat if we leave the house. My little girl would be heartbroken if the kitty wasn't around.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011

For all that I am a dog person, in the end a cat is equally useful if only because they kill rats, mice, and various other rodents that attack your food stores.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I have two months or more of food for the GSD and six months for the people. If the chickens count as pets, we have two months for them before they become food themselves. Not sure if I'd eat the dog, but don't anticipate that is a decision I'll ever have to make.

I view the extra dog food as more of a hedge against rising prices, and an efficiency benefit, because it keeps me from going to the store so often.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian

I have two cats and can tell from one if something isn't normal, the minute a stranger is around he is going into hiding. The other one is very friendly and almost acts like a dog outside, he walks right next to me and is very attentive, that being said I just bought a puppy to be a SHTF companion, she is an Anatolian Shepherd, and we were thinking in terms of SHTF when we bought her. Food prep hasn't gotten there yet for them, but I have been thinking about it.

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    Have around 6 months of food and water for both the my family and my 2 GSD's. After that like the saying goes , "never own a pet you can't eat in hard times"

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If you have to ask then you must not know and if you don't know then you don't currently own a working animal.

The best place for you to start is to get the wildest ass kitten you can find and turn her into a working cat killing rodents on your property. When SHTF, rodent populations will explode the first year and they spread diseases, damage your food stores and your gardens.

If you have a dog and expect it to work well with you, you should be able to control it with both verbal or hand command. Of the 1000 or so dogs that go by our home, ours is the only one that I have seen that can be kept in check when off a leash. The rest are just a liability. Our dog will eat anything given it excpet zucchini and after 10 years she even started eating that last year. She is easy to feed. She will also eat the mice and birds the cat kills if I let her. She can also catch her own. A dog is easy to maintain.

Fleas and ticks are the thing you should store meds/chemicals for use in controlling to help keep the animals healthy and your home clean.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom