• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    On my way to the range today stopped by my local gun shop and picked up some ammo ( 7mmx57 ) all they had were some reloads that I have bought before with no issues ! Anyway go to the range for some fun . Set target up put 2 rounds down range and on the 3rd one KAAA-BOOOOM ! Heres the pics. I got shrap metal to the face but Im ok . Thing is Ive had the rifle for 10yrs with many round down range even had it checked out by a smith when I bought it to be sure it was good to go . So the question is what to do should the gun shop owe me a rifle ? They are the ones who did the reloads .
    0802081813.jpg

0802081813a.jpg

downsized_0802081812.jpg

downsized_0802081814.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    As much as I hate to see a good rifle take a hit like that.

A) I'm happy you're not injured!
    B) I doubt there's much chance of you getting a new rifle out of the kaboom.

You could talk to them and let them know you had a problem. They're unlikely to do anything about it. At which point you could possibly take the shop to small claims court. The problem there is, if the shop has been a good resource for you in the past, do you want to burn those bridges over the Mauser?

Of course I'm neither a lawyer, nor have I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express anytime recently. Your mileage may vary.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    IIRC 7mm mauser are "small ring" and will not take the extreme pressures of modern powder or reloads.

Some 8mm mauser are "small ring" also, and there have been several warnings to me about buying these and not running the turkish rounds or reloads.

Some one correct me if Im wrong as Im not a mauser ace...

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Im not a go to court kind of guy not my style but in my eyes it there f@#$ up and they should make it right if not I wont do bus. there again. Bottom line Im ok to keep shooting :do2:

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    you gotta think about this... how are you gonna prove that it was even their ammo that went kaboom? (at least thats what they COULD say)

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Were these reloads that they made and sold as "theirs"? Or reloads that they simply had on the shelf and clearly marked as "reloads".

There may be some level of liability in the first case, but frankly none in the latter. You use unknown reloads and you take fate in your hands.

I also agree that as long as you are ok and it is just a mauser, I would not make a fight out of it.

Glad you are fine!

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    If you were injured wouldn't you pursue it? What if you were killed? That shop should be grateful they aren't looking at a wrongful death suit. They're getting off easy with just the price of an old mauser.

Did they manufacturer the reloads? Do they have a license for that and did they pay the excise tax. Same questions if it was a third party that made them. Could be some negligence here.

Having said that, I'm not a court type guy either and hate (most) lawyers. I don't buy reloads and only shoot my own reloads. I don't even let my kids shoot my reloads.

Talk to the shop owner. That should be easily covered by his liability insurance.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Well to prove that it was there reloads I have both the recipt and a couple eye witnesses pluse the bag of reloads with only 3 rounds missing as well there price tag on it . Yes it is their reloads . They reload alot of different calibers . Going in monday to let them take a look at it and I havent took the thing apart want them to do it infront of me . Will post pic of the offending case when I or they get it out . Yea sure it was only a mouser but thats not the point !

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Well to prove that it was there reloads I have both the recipt and a couple eye witnesses pluse the bag of reloads with only 3 rounds missing as well there price tag on it . Yes it is their reloads . They reload alot of different calibers . Going in monday to let them take a look at it and I havent took the thing apart want them to do it infront of me . Will post pic of the offending case when I or they get it out . Yea sure it was only a mouser but thats not the point !

If it was their reload then definitely see what they say.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I would be interested which shop/ammo. I'm not looking to bash 'em but, when I look at the 7mm Mauser, it looks just like mine - at least before the kaboom. I want to avoid that ammo.

I'm glad you're ok.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Not to sound all internet-bad-ass or anything, but did you let them know about the bad press they are going to receive because of this?

I could easily be wrong, but my thinking is this: If I owned the shop, and you brought this issue to me, and it was a cartridge I had reloaded (not just purchased and resold) I would gladly replace your mauser just to keep you happy. If you were any more malicious a man (which I am not advocating) you might be able to really sting these guys. A replacement rifle would be a much cheaper way to make the problem go away, plus they would mend fences with you and likely save your future purchases. Their lack of accountability speaks volumes about them. Hopefully there is more to this picture, but at first glance they sure look despicable.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Not to sound all internet-bad-ass or anything, but did you let them know about the bad press they are going to receive because of this?

I could easily be wrong, but my thinking is this: If I owned the shop, and you brought this issue to me, and it was a cartridge I had reloaded (not just purchased and resold) I would gladly replace your mauser just to keep you happy. If you were any more malicious a man (which I am not advocating) you might be able to really sting these guys. A replacement rifle would be a much cheaper way to make the problem go away, plus they would mend fences with you and likely save your future purchases. Their lack of accountability speaks volumes about them. Hopefully there is more to this picture, but at first glance they sure look despicable.

Running a small business can be funny in an odd way sometimes. Occasionally logic gets a bit off. I do agree with Josh here that the "right" way to go about it would be to replace the mauser with another one. I will add the following though:

1. Had the reloads not been their making, but just some that they were selling second hand, then "buyer beware" and frankly they would owe you nothing. It would behoove them to mark them with a disclaimer sticker though.

2. The reloads being theirs, by their hands, makes it their problem (barring some kind of disclaimer, or likely even with a disclaimer). They may however be concerned that if they take on liability for the firearm, then they are taking on liability for your physical injuries and that is scary for a small business person.

3. If they blew you off, or called you a liar, or basically were uninterested in your problem, then there is a problem there and it will come back to them. They say one bad customer takes $5000 in advertising to offset. If the customer can be reasonable, then making it right is usually the best way.

That is why I asked more info on what the shop owner said.

Top Bottom