• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Started life as a normal Savage MII FV-SR. I plan to use this as a precision trainer.

Upgrades
    The factory stock sucks, I put a Boyds Tacticool stock on it.
    DIP bottom metal.
    Savage metal trigger guard.
    I was told, that since I plan on stretching the legs on this gun a bit, that I should invest in a EGW 20moa scope base. I did just that.
    This gun will only be shot suppressed, I had purchased a Thompson Machine Zephyr XL for another project, but it looks way too good on this build. The fluting on the suppressor matches the fluting on the barrel, nicely.
    Added a Harris bi-pod.
    I topped this build off with a Millet TRS-1 4-16x50 mil-dot-.1mil click, mounted using a set of TPS medium rings.

I am excited to get this to the range. ( A trip to, lovemywoods, place is in order.)
    I have 1000rds of Wolf match Target.

That said, here she is. (Sorry for the crappy pic.)
    Savage_22_005.JPG

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I am excited to get this to the range. (A trip to lovemywoods' place is in order.)

Very nice looking rifle!

I don't have a 300 yard lane, but I can get you a 6" steel target at 211 yards. That would be slightly larger than the 8" at 300 yards. I also have some small IPSCs we could put at the 211 yard distance.

I'll start the smoker....:D

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    i can get you to 300 yds and have 8" plates. several ingo'ers have shot here and had a good time.

i've used the wolf match and match extra with some decent results but a box of cci blazers really beat the wolf hands down, ( ask igw, nick, about the cci's) and functioned well in every 22 i shot them in. i know the reputation of the blazers in centerfire handguns and was a little leary but natchez had them on sale so i took a chance and glad i did.

good looking savage by the way....daryll

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    According to info I found at Sniper'sHide, with a 50yd zero, most people are adjusting 42moa at 300yds. That means you have to be able to count to 168:):

How many mils is that?

Know one said there would be math!

Dave, I will let you know when I have an open weekend, and hopefully you will be free that weekend as well.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Nice stick, here's mine (waiting on the ATF to add muzzle decoration):

IMG_9939.jpg

FWIW, I'm using Burris Signature Zee rings with 20MOA worth of inserts on the stock base and have, IIRC, 12+ mils of elevation from a 50yd zero using CCI Mini-Mag.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    nice i use a

cz 452
    harris s series pod
    dip 25 moa base
    huntertown suppressor
    uso rings (i had a extra pair not doing anything)
    and a 4-16 vortex pst ffp/moa
    manners t4 stock (still 2 weeks out)
    rifle basix trigger

froma 50yd zero with wolf match target i have 52 moa of up dialed at 300 yards (14.4 mil). ive taken mine out to 375, im switching from wolf ammo because at 375 i have about 1 moa of windage on a 10 shot group and 18ish inches of elevation. ive never chronoed the ammo but im pretty sure i know what my results will be when i do.

its a challenge my friend keep us posted

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nice build, did your order the Tacticool through Boyds??? Ive been mulling around the idea at getting another but its been on backorder for eva

silentsavage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    Can you give me a rundown of what all was involved in swapping the factory stock to the Boyd's tacticool. I'm looking to replace mine and would like to know if there was any fitting or other parts necessary to make it happen?

Thanks in advance,
    Savage MKII FV-SR

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Can you give me a rundown of what all was involved in swapping the factory stock to the Boyd's tacticool. I'm looking to replace mine and would like to know if there was any fitting or other parts necessary to make it happen?

Thanks in advance,
    Savage MKII FV-SR

To go from the tupperware to a Tacticool you'll need bottom metal, action screws and a metal trigger guard.

You can get the BM/screws/guard directly from Savage or from Boyds...but you might want to spend a little extra money and get the DIP kit. That's what I did, and its good quality stuff.
    Savage 22LR Trigger Guard - Bottom Metal Kit

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Looks good, Craig! My Savage is the two tone brown laminated stock version. Had it cut to 18 or 20" (can't remeber right now) and threaded for my OBII. It's got a huge Vortez scope on it. Sighted in dead on with Eley Silhouex at 50 yards. I hold at the thick part of the bottom crosshair and hit a 3" square at 150 pretty much every shot! They are working on a longer range at Martinsville so I should to be able to stretch its legs out some more. May try some CCI stingers or Velocitors but I doubts they stay supersonic to 300 yards; would have a lot less drop than the subsonic target rounds though!

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Looks good, Craig! My Savage is the two tone brown laminated stock version. Had it cut to 18 or 20" (can't remeber right now) and threaded for my OBII. It's got a huge Vortez scope on it. Sighted in dead on with Eley Silhouex at 50 yards. I hold at the thick part of the bottom crosshair and hit a 3" square at 150 pretty much every shot! They are working on a longer range at Martinsville so I should to be able to stretch its legs out some more. May try some CCI stingers or Velocitors but I doubts they stay supersonic to 300 yards; would have a lot less drop than the subsonic target rounds though!

Since I finished putting this together, I have yet to fire a shot with it.:n00b:

I just can't find the time to get it to the range.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I bet you'll be impressed! Been awhile since I put mine on paper but I'm thinking it was shooting MOA. Not bad for a $300 rifle with a $100 scope shooting $0.12/ round ammo!

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Well, BigCraig was able to make it to the range today. His new Savage bolt action .22 arrived for its inaugural testing. (See the original posting above for details of the build.)

We started by zeroing at 50 yards.

ezfx1u.jpg

dpkeg8.jpg

He was shooting Wolf Target .22 and CCI Subsonic ammo. The rifle had been bore sighted before arriving here today. Big Craig did a tremendous job with the bore sighting. We didn’t move his scope at all!

ei3trt.jpg

On a 4” Bobcat Steel target at 50 yards, this little rifle performed very well!
    2mg7dd1.jpg

BigCraig and I both love to eat, so we sat down to dinner with Mrs. LMW and Kr_Treefrog2 to a meal of BBQ ribs and fried potatoes. Some yeast rolls and fresh pineapple rounded out the summer feast!

23vggzo.jpg

x3irns.jpg

After dinner we shot off the deck toward the spillway, a distance of 165 yards. We were able to hit the 9” steel (5.2 MOA) fairly easily using the mil-dot reticle of the Millett scope. We hit the 4” steel (2.3 MOA) one time after several shots to hone in on the correct hold (holding 6 mils high). (Sorry, no pictures. We were having so much fun neither of us thought to take any.)

This is the third time I’ve had someone show me models of the Savage .22 bolt rifle in the last two weeks. I think it’s a sign that I’m supposed to get one of my own! :)

I initially thought that this would be a great youth training gun. However, the way Big Craig set this one up it is a superb bolt action training rifle. You have to employ the correct marksmanship skills to make the longer shots just like the centerfire rifles. However, the ammo costs are greatly reduced.

Once again, special friends, guns, and good food are a wonderful way to spend the afternoon. God Bless America that we have been so blessed to be able to live in a free country!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Very nice! I'm sorry I had to miss this.

I like that you picked up my habit of taking pics of the food to tempt INGOers, lmao.

Top Bottom