• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    LMW shall not post anymore pics of range sessions followed by mouth watering bbq. :D
    and nice build craig, how did it perform with the can???

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    LMW shall not post anymore pics of range sessions followed by mouth watering bbq. :D

I’d rate the sound somewhere between ‘Stupid quiet’ and ‘Hollywood quiet’. There was more noise from the impact of the round than the sound of the rifle.

Makes shooting steel more fun as you can more easily hear the ‘ding’ as you make hits. :)

Last edited:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy

As, LMW, mentioned above.

Stupid quiet is the term I would use.:D

That said, this gun will only be shot suppressed, in fact, unless Savage actually test fired the gun at the factory, every round thru it has been with a suppressor attached.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Thanks for the guide and like the idea of shooting 22LR at a few yards (typically shoot handguns at 135 yards, when not on paper as that is were the steel plate is ;-).

- Are the stocks drop in like some of the stocks for the Remington PSS or are either of you glass bedding?

- Have to add up the numbers and see after all the upgrades the difference in cost between the Savage and the CZ, assuming same optics ;-). Then again have to see what I find a used CZ for.

- Lastly any good treads / discussions / recommendations on 22LR ammo, ideally that is plated, subsonic and reasonably priced in bulk (first two count more than the third to a point ;-)

Thanks
    John

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then I have indeed flattered BigCraig! I decided to build a Savage MkII for myself.

Here's BigCraig's Savage:
    ezfx1u.jpg

And here's the one I built:

sxyq11.jpg

The stock Accu-trigger is surprising for an inexpensive rifle.

I love the Boyd's stock on it. It provides a much better cheek weld and overall feel to the rifle. It was completely drop-in. Very easy to install.

The scope is different. I went with a WOTAC 4x14 scope from Allen at AA Optics.

It will often be sporting a suppressor from Huntertown Arms. As with BigCraig's set-up, it's extremely quiet. Tons of fun when hitting steel.

I'm still working on finding the best brand of .22 ammo for it. Farthest I've shot it so far is 165 yards.

One of my goals for this bolt action trainer is to learn to quickly manipulate the turrets to dial in for specific distances and ammo types (sub-sonic and supersonic). I've just started collecting specific settings and recording them.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then I have indeed flattered BigCraig! I decided to build a Savage MkII for myself.

Here's BigCraig's Savage:
    ezfx1u.jpg

And here's the one I built:

sxyq11.jpg

The stock Accu-trigger is surprising for an inexpensive rifle.

I love the Boyd's stock on it. It provides a much better cheek weld and overall feel to the rifle. It was completely drop-in. Very easy to install.

The scope is different. I went with a WOTAC 4x14 scope from Allen at AA Optics.

It will often be sporting a suppressor from Huntertown Arms. As with BigCraig's set-up, it's extremely quiet. Tons of fun when hitting steel.

I'm still working on finding the best brand of .22 ammo for it. Farthest I've shot it so far is 165 yards.

One of my goals for this bolt action trainer is to learn to quickly manipulate the turrets to dial in for specific distances and ammo types (sub-sonic and supersonic). I've just started collecting specific settings and recording them.

looks great, im glad we swapped out those rings

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Thanks for the discussion, was looking at a CZ 455 today, don't know why the second barrel in 17 HMR was interesting, but is only a couple dollars difference between that and the 455.

How does the WOTAC compare to the Vortex (another reason to get together at Old Trails besides checking out the low power Vortex for the MM23eK, checking stocks and ..... ).

Will be interested on how the ammo testing goes. If anyone ever has any reference material or what ever they would like a few pages on line, can always find room on the ISSMC website (no real bandwidth or size limits, just what gets programed and published by the hack webmaster ... me ;-), which is also hosting a half dozen other websites.

Regards
    John
    556beltfed.com
    Half Inch Plus Cubed

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    So Dave, with the new scope setup on there, have you been able to achieve the sort of accuracy and consistency you were hoping for?

I've tested 8 ammo types. Most 5-shot groups at 50 yards are in the 1.4 - 1.7 MOA range. Decent, but I'd like to try more brands of ammo and see if I can improve this. The consistency is much improved over the set-up you saw. I haven't gotten back to testing that first scope to see if the problem lies there.

Top Bottom