• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I have a Century WASR, but would like to trade up to something a little better. I would like an Arsenal, but not sure I want to spend $1200 on an AK. The WASR has reasonably straight sights and doesn't keyhole. Finish is not great, but hey, it's a WASR.

I have a Waffen Werks AK-74 that I picked up for under $700. It is beautiful, but also a jam-o-matic, so I won't be buying another one of their guns.

Is there a middle of the road AK-47 out there in a similar price range ($600-800)?

Thanks,

Sling

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Trade the WASR and the 74 for an Arsenal?

I like what you are thinking, and did find a couple of websites with Arsenals for just under $1000, so I might see if I can find a shop that would order one and give something for the WASR on trade. If I could get $350-400 for the WASR, then I would only be looking at $600-650 cash to get the Arsenal.

I hate to get rid of the 74 for a few reasons: 1. I like the rifle, except for the jamming issues, which I hope I can get sorted out, 2. I have over 5000 rounds of ammunition for it, 3. I have a lot of magazines for it, including some expensive Bakelite, and most importantly, 4. I wouldn't want to dump a rifle with issues on someone else.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    The n-paps and o-paps are Zastava factory made and under $600.

What about the Saiga?

Are these really that much of a step up from a WASR? Not being glib, I am just not that familiar with the AK-pattern rifle market. If the O PAP is better in quality, they have a really good price on them at Atlantic. I could just pick up the O PAP and maybe sell the WASR at the next gun show.

Don't the Saigas have to have a modification done to accept high-cap magazines?

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    I have no idea honestly. I have a Maadi that I'm working on but have yet to shoot. I have delved into the AK world very little because I find the sheer amount of mfg's and countries to be slightly overwhelming to say the least.

i did own a Chinese NHM-90 in 5.56 and found it to have one of the absolute best triggers I've ever handled. I ended up trading it for an Armalite AR for my little brother. If it would've been in 762, I would've kept it, it was that nice!

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    3 seconds with a dremel. And a drill and tap on the trunion = hi cap saiga. Thats not even talking conversions. But they are smooth shooting guns. Beats my buddies mac90 imo.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Norinco Mak90 but I don't know what price point those are running these days.

I should mention I used to have a WASR and the only reason I sold it is because I needed some quick cash. It shot straight and the only time it hiccuped was with one particular magazine. The only thing I didn't like about it was the underfolder stock.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    [video]http://s812.photobucket.com/user/tydeeh22/media/DSCF1062.mp4.html[/video]

Dont judge the intrafuse crap. It has since been retired. Heresnmy testimonial.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Are these really that much of a step up from a WASR? Not being glib, I am just not that familiar with the AK-pattern rifle market. If the O PAP is better in quality, they have a really good price on them at Atlantic. I could just pick up the O PAP and maybe sell the WASR at the next gun show.

The thing with the WASRs is, like many AKs they are assembled from imported parts kits and U.S. receivers. Century got a rep, especially early on, for poor assembly. The other primary way AKs are imported is in some neutered form, ie single stack, then have the mag wells opened with the installation of the requisite US parts. The Zastava factory builds high quality guns and has been for decades. So you get an AK from a factory that made them during the cold war and typically are considered good quality.

Arsenals are imported with standard mag wells but in a sporter configuration.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Well, after an evening and morning of searching online, I decided to order the Arsenal SGL-107FR. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the WASR. I might try to sell it at the next Indy 1500, or maybe trade it in on something else… :): The sting from the Arsenal purchase will surely have worn off by then.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    That is an excellent choice for an AK. Did you get the polymer or metal triangle folder? Both are nice, metal is a little lower profile but the polymer is more comfortable to shoot.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Funny story, I showed both to my wife (polymer and A-frame stocks) and asked her which she preferred. She liked the polymer stock, so that is what I got. Turns out, she thought I was just buying the stock, not the entire rifle. You would think she knows me better.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    no mods required for saiga hi-cap mags, i have several 30rd mags for my 7.63x39

Gg

Last edited:

guitarslinger21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    southwest
    Well, after an evening and morning of searching online, I decided to order the Arsenal SGL-107FR. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the WASR. I might try to sell it at the next Indy 1500, or maybe trade it in on something else… :): The sting from the Arsenal purchase will surely have worn off by then.

You chose wisely. The 107FR and 104FR are both almost perfect.

They are smooth, reliable, reasonably accurate, and just plain fun to shoot.

Be careful falling down the eastern optics rabbit hole. It's very fun, but expensive. (cheaper than an acog, though)

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    You chose wisely. The 107FR and 104FR are both almost perfect.

They are smooth, reliable, reasonably accurate, and just plain fun to shoot.

Be careful falling down the eastern optics rabbit hole. It's very fun, but expensive. (cheaper than an acog, though)

Looking forward to getting it; should be at my dealer on Monday. I have a mount and Aimpoint PRO that I originally bought for the Waffen Werks 74 that I am going to try on the Arsenal.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I picked up my SLR-107FR a few days ago. I have yet to shoot it but it's been a joy to admire. My busy work schedule let's up and she'll be out on the range. Enjoy yours and we can both blame INGO for the influence to empty our wallets... :cool:

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Picked up the Arsenal today. I'm pretty happy with it, and am going to try and get out this weekend to shoot it. The stock locks up nice and tight, and the fit and finish is about the same as my Waffen Werks AK-74 (which is nice), but hopefully it will run much better. It came with a 10-rd magazine, sling, oil bottle, and cleaning kit that fits in the buttstock. Atlantic had them on sale for $939, but were out of stock, so I got it from K-VAR for $999. Cool thing is, for some reason K-VAR also shipped me three 30-rd Circle 10 magazines, which normally go for $45 each...
    :rockwoot:

I think I will pack up the WASR and take it to the next 1500 to try and sell.

Top Bottom