• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Some months ago, I looked at my trusty ol' Mossberg 500 lying on my closet shelf, loaded with generic 00 buck shells, and decided that it needed a makeover. So, I installed a "tactical" stock and foregrip.

2qwk74g.jpg

This makeover involved more disassembly than I had anticipated, but Ol' Mossy got a good (and long overdue) cleaning in the process. Realizing that I should probably test-fire it after reassembly, I did some shopping first and bought several various types of home defense (HD) loads to try.

The way I figure it, if something goes bump in the night, the security alarm is probably screaming (and so is my wife!), I will have knocked my glasses off the night stand, and in my dazed, confused state, will need a little help hitting any intruder. Counting on "one shot -- one kill" is not a good plan.

Therefore, I wanted to find a load that had the potential for doing serious carnage, as well as a pattern wide enough to still be effective if my aim isn't quite what it should be in the wee hours with the adrenaline pumping like a fire hose.

For the test, I ordered different loads from
    SPECIALTY/EXOTIC : Ammo To Go and labeled some paper targets with shot shell info. The targets had a simple 3" circle in the middle for comparison of patterns and spread. I measured the distances in our house where any likely lethal encounter might occur, and found them to all be approximately 5 yards. Therefore, that was my test distance.

I used a load of bird shot that my next door neighbor had loaded as my benchmark, and which was aptly named BUBBA SHELLS. The spread of #8 shot from 5 yards would give me a pattern against which the others could be compared. All shot shells tested were 2 3/4" in length.

IMG_3386_zps182b8f7c.jpg

The test loads were:

1) FIOCCHI 00 Buck Shot, Reduced Recoil -- (9) 00-sized pellets
    IMG_3388_zpsed00b0a4.jpg

2) PIT BULL -- an hourglass-shaped lead slug followed by 5 large lead balls
    IMG_3390_zpsd33806e4.jpg

3) TERMINATOR X -- a ring of steel BBs on top of an hourglass-shaped lead slug
    IMG_3392_zps322c0472.jpg

4) WOLF POWER BUCKSHOT -- (9) 00-sized pellets
    IMG_3395_zps2faaefb5.jpg

5) LAW ENFORCEMENT BUCKSHOT -- (12) 00-sized pellets

IMG_3397_zps68cd02da.jpg

I fired each load from a Mossberg 500 12 gauge with a standard barrel from a distance of 5 yards. The pictures below demonstrate the pattern of each load and the amount of spread from that distance.

BUBBA SHELLS

As expected, the bird shot in the BUBBA SHELLS spread quite a bit. While an intruder would likely be struck by a fair number of pellets, the damage inflicted could be anything from minor to devastating, depending on what organs were inured.

When shotgun pellets enter a body, the first ones slow down and the following pellets ricochet off at different angles, causing leaks all over the place. However, short of a direct CNS hit, those little holes might take a long time to cause incapacitation of an intruder. Bird shot would not be my first choice.

IMG_3385_zps59275ad6.jpg

FIOCCHI 00 BUCK REDUCED RECOIL

This load not only lived up to its name -- reduced recoil (for a 00 load) -- but also resulted in a pretty decent pattern. Nine big pellets forming about a 3" pattern would do some pretty serious damage to a bad guy. Whether or not the reduced recoil is a serious consideration is a matter of debate. I've heard and read about lethal encounters where the shooter never even noticed the recoil or even the sound after the event.

IMG_3387_zps571429cc.jpg

PIT BULL

The PIT BULL load is a delightfully destructive concept. One can only imagine the destruction to tissue that would result from a 12-ga slug entering and expanding, followed by 5 large, lead balls caroming off and tunneling through a body. My guess is that a direct hit anywhere in vital organs would make anyone stop in his tracks. Or, at least think twice about taking another step.

The only problem with this load is that there was virtually NO spread. While this might be the most lethal load tested, it isn't if it doesn't hit on target. And, since one of my test criteria was that it be somewhat forgiving of less-than-perfect aim in the dead of night, it's easy to imagine missing an intruder completely.

IMG_3389_zpsc66e4cf8.jpg

TERMINATOR X

Gotta love that name, huh? I'm sure a prosecutor would love using that name in court, too. Regardless, it's like the PIT BULL in reverse -- instead of having pellets following the slug, the steel BBs are aligned in a ring on top of the slug.

The resultant pattern is more applicable, IMO, to the HD scenario. You might miss with the slug on that first shot, but the pellets are in the neighborhood to do some damage while you chamber the next shell.
    IMG_3391_zpsa2768cc5.jpg

WOLF POWER BUCKSHOT

Now we're talking. This load put all 9 00 pellets within a 3" circle. And I don't know what all of the other blast marks are. Wicked load that kills on one end and maims on the other. It was noticeably more kinetic than the other loads (another way of saying that my shoulder said, "Ouch.")
    IMG_3393_zps36fdf71c.jpg

LAW ENFORCEMENT BUCKSHOT

Call off the dogs. The hunt is over. This load is like the WOLF with 3 extra 00 pellets. Holy schmoly -- all 12 pellets within a 3" circle! Seems to me that it's enough spread to ensure a few good hits even when circumstances cause compromised accuracy, yet small enough to cause extreme devastation when your aim is good. And, like the WOLF load, the recoil is significant. However, I'd still rather be giving than receiving this load! (sorry for the blurry pic)
    IMG_3396_zps3fe5428e.jpg

In summary, any of these loads (except perhaps the BUBBA SHELLS) would stop a threat pronto as long as the load is delivered accurately and effectively. I would just feel better knowing that at least some of the load would hit something vital on a bad guy with that first round, even if I didn't have my glasses on or my wife's screaming was distracting me.

I hope this exercise was helpful. After sending thousands of pistol rounds downrange recently, it was a real wake-up call to be reminded of the devastation that a shotgun can cause. It reinforced my commitment to using my handgun only to fight my way to Ol' Mossy in an emergency.

Last edited:

catfishjn69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    West side of Indy
    i have thought alot about this also. what would be neat is a mixture of buck shot and bird shot. I really worry about what is behind my target in my house with 2 boys. slugs really scare me because of the penatrating power. right now I am loaded with 2 bird then the rest buck shot. hopefully the first shot incapacitates if I have to do a second shot I want a kill shot. just my thoughts

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    i have thought alot about this also. what would be neat is a mixture of buck shot and bird shot. I really worry about what is behind my target in my house with 2 boys. slugs really scare me because of the penatrating power. right now I am loaded with 2 bird then the rest buck shot. hopefully the first shot incapacitates if I have to do a second shot I want a kill shot. just my thoughts
    Try turkey load. Thats actually a decent load for 20ga (what I use) having a mixture of the 2 at high velocity. With 12 there are even more options.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    OP, I like this post. Its nice to see field reports and the like. Especially on a topic as diverse as shotgun rounds.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    You're welcome. :D

Glad somebody enjoyed it. As much trouble as I had posting pics for some reason -- and Explorer locked up 3/4 of the way through and I had to start all over again with Firefox ... sheesh.

If I ever get the range to myself again, I'd like to do the same test but from 10 yards, just to compare the spread at twice the distance. Stay tuned ...

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    Very informative thread, thanks for posting it. This is kind of odd concept but I have read on some other forums of people loading 12ga with rock salt. If you think about it, its not a horrible idea. You would have a pretty wide spread (like the bird shot) but without the possibility of heavy collateral damage, which you could have with #4 buck. And think about the burn you would get from rock salt under your skin.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I actually like what the "FBI" reccomends, #4 Buck..... 27 pellets, and a nice pattern ..... JMHO, :twocents:

I'm sure that there are a gazillion combinations of effective HD loads out there. I just happened to buy these to see what they would do. I would imagine that the #4 shot would fall somewhere in between the BUBBA SHELLS and the LAW ENFORCEMENT load.

My concern with small shot only is that there are far too many stories out there of bad guys, hit with multiple rounds of small shot, who continue to press on. In fact, the first autopsy I watched was on a HUGE guy whose common-law wife somehow managed to wrest away from his bear paws a single-shot 12 gauge loaded with #6 shot, as I recall. Oh, and she was the only (surviving) witness. Imagine that.

It somehow accidentally went off, striking him in the side. He looked the rapidly growing red spot on his undershirt, looked at her and took the shotgun away from her. He plopped down on the couch, propped his feet up on the coffee table, called her a ***** and laughed at her. Had that not been a single-shot gun ...

At autopsy, his innards were shredded. One lung completely collapsed, several holes in his heart, trachea and esophagus, liver and spleen -- all from the "billiard ball effect" of pellets caroming off each other and bones. Really ugly. However, it takes time to bleed out, thus the insistence of some advocating slugs for HD.

I thought that maybe a slug/pellet combo would be the best of both worlds. I'm sure it all depends on what you hit and how many times. Regardless, more holes and larger holes equals faster incapacitation in most cases.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Thanks for posting. This is really helpful for those of us without much shotgun experience. I know I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of that Pit Bull load. That hour glass slug looks brutal, even through the shell casing.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    You're welcome. :D

Glad somebody enjoyed it. As much trouble as I had posting pics for some reason -- and Explorer locked up 3/4 of the way through and I had to start all over again with Firefox ... sheesh.

If I ever get the range to myself again, I'd like to do the same test but from 10 yards, just to compare the spread at twice the distance. Stay tuned ...
    Youll probably still be effective with 00 buck because you have a 12. My 20 is worthless past 5 with #3 buck. I cant think of many places in my house that are longer than 15 feet that would be a legitimate shot. However, the 20 is flat shooting to 100 and can hit past with regular cheap rifled slugs. Flatter shooting than any 12 Ive shot and still transfers plenty of energy.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Thanks for posting. This is really helpful for those of us without much shotgun experience. I know I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of that Pit Bull load. That hour glass slug looks brutal, even through the shell casing.
    Hour glass slugs are brutal. Ever hunt with a Lightfield? Mundane looking and downs em every time.

cubbetm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    wow real cool test. thanks! I have mine loaded up with a mixture of shells. first two are bird then a #4 then buckshot. if I have to get to the buckshot I'd be surprised but if they take 3 shots and still advance ill need it

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Why mess with birdshot? Why risk having to shoot someone more than necessary?

I'm sure that cop didn't think he would be able to shoot a perp 14 times with .45acp

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Great demo! I have been wanting to do something simulair but you have don't the work for me (us) thanks and great job. I will be buying some different shells.

Top Bottom