• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sshelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    ECI / New Castle
    So i have decided that i want an AK opposed to an AR.... however i know NOTHING about AKs... ive been trying to do research on AR15.com and its like im reading russian (pun intended)...im looking to spend no more than 600 im ok buying an WASR knowing they arnt the best and to look for mag wobble and canted front sights however i want the best for my money... can anyone point me to some good literature or just let me know the best bang for my buck AK?? o and i pretty much plan on using this at the range for now but will be my SHTF primary.. thanks :)

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    This is kind of like opening a 55 gallon drum of worms. For $600.00 you can do better than a WASR and I'm a fan of some of the older Romanian AK variants. The WASR is usually around $400 give or take a few.

The Polish Tantal or AKMS might be a good choice. The SAIGA line is worth looking at but make sure you get a "high capacity" type. Almost any Russian AK is worth a look but be prepared for sticker shock.

If you come across a Romanian SAR1, 2, or 3, this might be in the ballpark.

The 7.62x39 is the standard but you can find AK variants in 5.45x39 and .223 calibers. I'm sure there's a .308 out there but I haven't run across one.

Most have stamped receivers which are fine. Milled will cost you plus adds weight. A stock vs. folder will be another choice. Arguments never end on such things.

Canted sights on AK's can be a problem but can also be corrected in most cases. A canted trunnion is a bit harder to correct but is not impossible.

A chrome lined barrel is important and you won't find many without. Norinco made some good AK's but good luck finding one.

AK's are not long range tack drivers but as a suppressor rifle, they are unmistakable. Kind of like the Timex of military rifles.

Good luck and go feel one. Either it will speak to you or not.

btw: Nothing wrong with AR's and they have many, many upgrade options. I like the AK format because once you get to know it, you come to understand why they work under adverse conditions, extremes, etc. In a pinch, you could probably keep one working with goat hair, bailing wire and duct tape. :D

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    This is kind of like opening a 55 gallon drum of worms. For $600.00 you can do better than a WASR and I'm a fan of some of the older Romanian AK variants. The WASR is usually around $400 give or take a few.

The Polish Tantal or AKMS might be a good choice. The SAIGA line is worth looking at but make sure you get a "high capacity" type. Almost any Russian AK is worth a look but be prepared for sticker shock.

If you come across a Romanian SAR1, 2, or 3, this might be in the ballpark.

The 7.62x39 is the standard but you can find AK variants in 5.45x39 and .223 calibers. I'm sure there's a .308 out there but I haven't run across one.

Most have stamped receivers which are fine. Milled will cost you plus adds weight. A stock vs. folder will be another choice. Arguments never end on such things.

Canted sights on AK's can be a problem but can also be corrected in most cases. A canted trunnion is a bit harder to correct but is not impossible.

A chrome lined barrel is important and you won't find many without. Norinco made some good AK's but good luck finding one.

AK's are not long range tack drivers but as a suppressor rifle, they are unmistakable. Kind of like the Timex of military rifles.

Good luck and go feel one. Either it will speak to you or not.

btw: Nothing wrong with AR's and they have many, many upgrade options. I like the AK format because once you get to know it, you come to understand why they work under adverse conditions, extremes, etc. In a pinch, you could probably keep one working with goat hair, bailing wire and duct tape. :D
    +1 he's right on the money personal for first ak id take a good look at polish aks (47 or 74 tantals) or the Saiga line (for the price they are cheaper and far higher quailty than a WASR 10... not that there isnt anything wrong with the WASR i own one and love it but they are not worth what they are now asking for them..... basicly look at it this way century ak at $400/450 or a russian made saiga at $300/$320.....(think its a easy choice saiga hands down) (note: you can convert them to a pistol grip at a later time for still the same price wasr's are going for now)

they also make siaga's in 7.62x39, 5.45x39,233, and 308..... the 308's models can be made to look simular to a dragunov better known as "saigunov's"

sshelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    ECI / New Castle
    ok.. i think cheaper than dirt has a siaga in 7.62 right now for $350... but they dont take AK mags?? so that confuses me.. makes since that they would b the obvious choice.. can i just buy one and mags a and shoot... or do i have "convert" it??

also nvr said ARs are bad.. i want one bad but i have a bit of problem waiting for funds and dont like to wait to upgrade and modify it :)

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Saiga will accept all standard AK magazines after you file down the mag catch a couple millimeters and install a bullet guide (to ensure reliability).

In order to LEGALLY use the AK magazines you need to be in compliance with 922(r) because standard AK magazines break the "sporting" round limit. A conversion using the right parts will put you into compliance.

sshelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    ECI / New Castle
    Saiga will accept all standard AK magazines after you file down the mag catch a couple millimeters and install a bullet guide (to ensure reliability).

In order to LEGALLY use the AK magazines you need to be in compliance with 922(r) because standard AK magazines break the "sporting" round limit. A conversion using the right parts will put you into compliance.

confusing, lol. i was hoping to avoid all this compliance and coversions... so im skipping the saiga train....:dunno:

jwhite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    I was really interested in an ak for a while.. Picked up a Mini Draco Pistol AK at the last 1500.. I haven't shot it yet.. Been busy with work.. But one thing i love about the mini draco.. is that Century doesn't do anything to it.. Just imports them from Romania and sells them.. They accept all standard AK mags.. with no wobble. (Well mine doesn't have any wobble).. I cant wait to take it to the range.. That is my SHTF Gun.. good luck finding an AK you like!

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I would recommend the saiga route. You'd get arguably the best ak that you made yourself for relatively cheap. You can get good deals on them now as a bunch have been imported recently. For a used guy i'd go with a Mak 90 which have thicker barrels or a Maadi if you can find one cheap (probably not). You'll need to make a decision on what you want your ak to shoot. I prefer 7.62 as they absolutely punch through intermediate barriers and brush. 5.45 flies flatter and is generally more accurate mostly due to the reduced recoil. Good luck in your search and if you decide to go saiga, there are plenty of us that can help you.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    :rockwoot:Love the AK!! :D

I have a WASR and I love it. Zero malfunctions and very accurate. With that said, do not pay more than $400 for a WASR. I have nothing against the WASR, but if you are going over the $400 range then you have other options that are an upgrade.

Are you wanting a 7.62 or 5.45? Both are fun and have their own advantages. I currently have a 7.62, but also want a 5.45 someday to go with it.

Ammo is plentiful and can be had for pretty cheap too. If you plan on shooting corrosive ammo just make sure you read up on how to clean it properly. Nothing wrong with corrosive, but you have to make sure to properly clean your rifle afterwards.

Good luck with your decision and your search. Let us know what you get! :ingo:

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Good luck in your purchase! Don't be too intimidated by the 922r compliance, it's pretty easy to swap parts and comply. I have a wasr that shoots like a champ! Bit of wobble but shoots great, never a malfunction. If I had to have only one ak I would probably keep a Yugo in any configuration. NOTHING wrong with Romanians, but for 600$ you might trip over a deal on a yugo, and I would probably go that direction, that's just me though. Another option would be pick up a good wasr and have some cash left over for mags/ammo..... Whatever you pick up, in whatever caliber, from whatever country, will most certainly prove to be a good reliable rifle! Have fun!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I recently picked up a barely used Saiga 223 that came with 4 mags (2 ten round factory, 1 promag 20, 1 promag 30) for $360 ($385.20 w/tax). Ordered up a CSS conversion kit for $124+$11 shipping. Also put a Tromix extended bolt handle on it for $22.

Cost Altogether: $542.20 ($522.20 w/o optional Tromix handle)

This price gets you an excellent AK or close to an entry level AR. The last time I checked you could order Saigas in about any rifle caliber for around $300 plus shipping and transfer. That was a few weeks ago, so the prices might have changed. I probably could have gotten my build cheaper this way, but for roughly $20 difference there's just something about handling a rifle and taking it home that day that I like.

The performance of this Saiga is nothing to sneer at: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/shooting_sports/174862-owensboro_multigun_10_29_a.html

I don't know how the 7.62 Saigas will shoot, but I would guess as well if not slightly better than any other AK. I've also heard good things about the 5.45.

:twocents:

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Black Friday is coming, I'm sure Dunhams will have WASR's on sale. Pick one of them up then, for around $349, plus a case of ammo for $200, you should even have some money left of for a few spare mags.

I've had my WASR for over 3 years, and I haven't found any reason to have spent more.

acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I picked up an Arsenal SGL21 w/ 4 mags for $660 used at a local shop. I'd recommend just checking around for used stuff at local shops, gunbroker, here in the classifieds. You can buy a new firearm any day, but if you want a quality deal then just have a little patience.

Zero_ek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Alexandria
    I just bought an underfolder WASR. I previously had a full stock WASR that I had sold. Wishing I'd never sold it lol. Next stop is the 74.

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks guys, I'm looking for the 7.62. Leaning twordds the WASR..thanks again

I don't think you will be disappointed if you do.

If you hit Dunhams up on black Friday just make sure you look at and handle all of them. They usually have several in stock. Pick the one that looks the best and you will be GTG.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site

The performance of this Saiga is nothing to sneer at:

I don't know how the 7.62 Saigas will shoot, but I would guess as well if not slightly better than any other AK.

I have to +1 :yesway: this.
    Here is a pic of a 100 yard and a 140-150 yard target, I neglected to document the round used, but I think it was 9121/73 Norinco should i mention this Saiga is an SGL and I used a 4x24 Zenit optic, NO wind This is the best Ive ever shot with my ak. I like to show these trophy's when I hear someone question how accurate one can be with the SAIGA platform.

Excuse the thread jack
    Check out these groups, I shot very slow and steady,I used an ammo box and mag bag as support. Target on the left was the first target I set up with my new optics, as you can see it only took 3 shots to dial it in once it was in it was on!!

I shot a little faster on the right target but still look at that grouping on the left side!!:rockwoot:
    k.jpg

Point, get what you want not what you will "settle" for, there are a few Ak's within your budget look hard and research properly.
    I would recommend the newest SAIGA conversions, all you would need to do to make this a fine rifle is replace the stock, trigger group, etc, and eventually the muzzle break, a little cheaper than the SGL package. Or keep it as is and buy allot of ammo to go with er.. They are Russian and can be made more....Russian:D
    Enough said cant go wrong with that.
    Another place to look for a variety of AK's is AK files forum, there are tons of custom AK's for sale right now as well as a few unissued CUGIR PSL's

Last edited:
    Top Bottom