• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wven33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2015
    Dyer
    Hi all! I have a question. Saturday morning my wife and I went to my cousin's house in Unincorporated Crown Point. Behind his house he has 10 acres of wooded land with a nice backstop setup. We were out target practicing and enjoying the weather. Well as we were cleaning up and getting ready to leave my cousin's neighbor came over and told us he doesn't want us shooting there because he dont like the noise! The way he was acting made it seem we were doing something illegal! Is anyone familiar with that area? We were perfectly legal to shoot on his property correct? Thank you in advance

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    You are legal. Tell him to call the boys in office and ask them vote for the hearing protection act so the madness can stop!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Generally, you're OK. The only exception might be if your county has some sort of ordinances about it.

Just be a good neighbor but don't let them push your around, either.

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    I used to live on 7.5 acres and it was legal to shoot on my property. However, there was a local ordinance requiring that I be 500ft away from the nearest residence while shooting. The two nearest housed to mine were 600ft and 1000ft but I can understand why they might be concerned.

Generally, I would shoot the 22LR at will. However, when messing with anything bigger I would warn the neighbors. One time the fellow next door asked me to wait until his wife was back from berry picking on their 20 acre place. Of course I agreed.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    As the others have said, check with your local planning and zoning to see if there are any ordinances against shooting on private property in your area. Make sure your bullets do not leave your property. You are responsible for any damage/harm they cause to neighboring property owners and if they pursue charges, you could be held responsible for the damage and be convicted of criminal charges that would result in the loss of your LTCH.

Kudos to you for caring enough about your neighbors and what you are doing to ask if you are doing anything wrong.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Suppressors FTW :)

Seriously though, if it's legal and he has an issue, tell him to call into the police and have them explain it to him that it's legal. If he continues to **** and moan, tell him he's trespassing and to go pound sand

That might just be my cheery self talking though

This why suppressors should be off the nfa act.

The National Firearms Act......Act

;)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Unincorporated Lake County (mailing address can be Crown Point, but technically not inside the city) and you are legal to shoot on 10 acres without any issues. I'm a bit Southwest of there in unincorporated Lowell. Under the same County jurisdiction.

Noise ordinance kicks in at 10:30pm! Neighbor can pound sand up his arse regarding the noise. Ask the neighbor to support the removal of Suppressors from the NFA to make them more available/affordable!

County Sheriff will come out if the neighbor calls, County Sheriff deputies will check out the range and chat with you. Then the officer will go next door and tell the neighbor that you are perfectly legal.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    This why suppressors should be off the nfa act.
    :+1: It just makes it so much less of a bother to those in the area! There are just so many reasons for it! We need to keep pushing on the Hearing Protection Act and even if it doesn't get through continue to push and we will eventually make it, we just can't let up! We also need a POTUS who won't be opposed.

On a side note while I shoot out my back door and have other houses close by I do try not to be out blasting and running lights or anything in the summer time when it gets dark at like 10pm! But I'll shoot about any time I please between 10am and 6-8pm depending on the day... Being considerate but still having your way takes you a long way.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I would try to explain to the neighbor that you have the right to shoot but would be willing to have a time frame that you you would shoot in. Having a good relationship with neighbors is best if at all possible.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    As a general rule play nice with your neighbor all though not at all illegal they can make it a pain to shoot and why make the sheriff come out there if you don't have to. With that being said talk with them and see if there is a compromise all though there is nothing they can legally do about you shooting there is no need to be D*!C about it if you don't have to. I shoot on my property all the time, at least 2 or 3 times a week if not more when I have time, but when I first got the place I went to my closest neighbors and let them know what Id be doing and told them that I wouldn't shoot before 10Am and wouldn't shoot after dusk and not shoot till after noon on Sundays and offer for them to come over an join in the fun sometime. Be surprised what being a little neighborly will do (and offering someone to blow a Mag through one of your ARs is a sure fire way of making friends ;)).

wven33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2015
    Dyer
    We starting shooting at 12 and were all done at about 2pm so it wasn't like we were making tons of noise. The guy also stated "Im anti guns so I would appreciate if you dont shoot here"! He then flexed his fat arms and said these are my guns.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    We starting shooting at 12 and were all done at about 2pm so it wasn't like we were making tons of noise. The guy also stated "Im anti guns so I would appreciate if you dont shoot here"! He then flexed his fat arms and said these are my guns.

Yep. Tell him to eat **** and die.

Then keep shooting.

He can call county all he wants. They'll stop coming eventually.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

That would have had him backing up if done on legal private property......I have a set of those as well.......:):

He was being a bully........Send him packing.

wven33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2015
    Dyer
    Well were going to contact the sheriff tomorrow and let him know about this guy, then next weekend have a nice target party.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    and machine guns with a suppressor....why not?
    :+1: It just makes it so much less of a bother to those in the area! There are just so many reasons for it! We need to keep pushing on the Hearing Protection Act and even if it doesn't get through continue to push and we will eventually make it, we just can't let up! We also need a POTUS who won't be opposed.

On a side note while I shoot out my back door and have other houses close by I do try not to be out blasting and running lights or anything in the summer time when it gets dark at like 10pm! But I'll shoot about any time I please between 10am and 6-8pm depending on the day... Being considerate but still having your way takes you a long way.

Top Bottom