• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karodger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Northside Indy/Lafayette
    anybody have experience with the rock island 1911? i would really love to get the springfield gi but i just don't think i can afford it... if not the RI then any other ideas for a good 1911 but without the killer price tag??

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    The Rock Island is a very good weapon.

I based one build around the basic military style and am planning another soon.

Check for sear bounce before you buy: WITH AN EMPTY MAGAZINE INSERTED, hold the trigger back, pull the slide back, and release it, letting it slam forward. If the hammer follows, do not buy that particular gun. I've seen a few that would double from the box due to short hammer hooks and sear bounce, and this is a basic check for the problem.

With any milspec 1911, you run the risk of hammer and grip spur bite. You may end up needing a drop in beavertail. They make some that do clear the stock hammer, so you won't have to go to a Commander hammer.

If you're being bitten by the hammer, there's something known as a "carry bob" where the hammer shape is maintained, but it's shortened. Anyone skilled with a small file set will be able to do this.

Good luck, and holler if you need any more help!

Josh <><

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    The Rock Island is a very good weapon.

I based one build around the basic military style and am planning another soon.

Check for sear bounce before you buy: WITH AN EMPTY MAGAZINE INSERTED, hold the trigger back, pull the slide back, and release it, letting it slam forward. If the hammer follows, do not buy that particular gun. I've seen a few that would double from the box due to short hammer hooks and sear bounce, and this is a basic check for the problem.

With any milspec 1911, you run the risk of hammer and grip spur bite. You may end up needing a drop in beavertail. They make some that do clear the stock hammer, so you won't have to go to a Commander hammer.

If you're being bitten by the hammer, there's something known as a "carry bob" where the hammer shape is maintained, but it's shortened. Anyone skilled with a small file set will be able to do this.

Good luck, and holler if you need any more help!

Josh <><

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Rock Island is a good value gun. I have had a couple 1 of which had issues from the factory but they offered to fix it but I did it myself. So I don't have first hand knowledge of their customer service although I have heard good reports about it.

I would not hesitate to buy another one. Taurus makes a budget 1911 also.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Adding to the "RIA makes a good 1911" dogpile. Consider the Tactical model, as it comes from the factory with better (and more easily replaceable) sights, a beavertail, and ambidextrous safety.

img1207r.jpg

One of the nice things about RIA is that Advanced Tactical (the importer) reps hang out on the forum.m1911.org RIA board and answer questions. They also stand behind their products 100%. They're very good about fixing even minor problems with their weapons.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Ive ran a few hundred rounds through my traded for RIA 1911 tactical. Not one problem. Granted, I think its had some break in before I got it, but it shots great. Hell, my pops has a couple Kimber 1911s that Ive had issue with FTFeed, and it runs (round for round) better than them ;)

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    My wife, best friend, and step-father all have RIA 1911s. All three are VERY pleased with them. All have proven to be reliable, and all are surprisingly accurate.

We think they are a great value. I've always wanted my own 1911, and when I get one it will probably be a Rock Island, simply because of how good a gun it is for the money.

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I like the RIA 1911's they are sturdy and durable.The price is also a plus. But I hate how they mark the import stamp on the dust cover. >_<

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Rock Island 1911 compact

I picked up a compact 1911 about a year ago. I love the feel and it is pretty accurate (however I believe most firearms are more accurate than the shooter). It did take a bit of break in and had to return to Armcor for repairs after the spring broke and locked up the slide. Service was great and had it back in my hands within 15 days. Since repairs I put about 500 rounds through it with no problems. RIA makes a good quality firearm that will leave a little cash in your wallet to spend on ammo (you're gonna need it the way prices are soaring). Would I buy it again .... yes, is it my favorite 1911 ....no but I like my Springfield GI for overall feel and reliability. These are the only 1911 s I have experience with other than the US Navy issued ones I had the pleasure of playing around with.

Overall I'd say it is a nice entry level into the 1911 family.:twocents:

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    I love my RIA. It is the first pistol I ever purchased and holds a special place in my gun safe. I would even vote it as one of the most "bang for your buck" 1911 pistols out there.

Kw55018

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Clay City
    RIA 1911

I bought a RIA 1911 awhile back and have been very pleased with it, 1000+ rounds and the only problem ive had has been with the factory mag, the floor plate cracked and everything went out the bottom. Accuracy has been very good, better than my springfield, finish wears very tough, and the ambi-saftey retention they use is very effective. Cant get a better 1911 for the money. just my:twocents:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I was new to 1911s when I bought my first RIA. Out of the box I had 1, and the only FTE at round 6 or 7. Never had another issue with it, even with cheap aftermarket $9 mags. That sold me enough to buy another one. They both ran awesome, all of the time for me.

Just my experience.

anybody have experience with the rock island 1911? i would really love to get the springfield gi but i just don't think i can afford it... if not the RI then any other ideas for a good 1911 but without the killer price tag??

dougt06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    I dont own a rock island, but have held several and they felt great. I have hear nothing but good things about them.

Top Bottom