• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    In the next week or two, I'll be purchasing 3 or 4 new/used hand guns. I need help deciding as I have about 7 on my short list, many more on my long list.

First is should I get a Sig P226 to replace the one I had to sell, my normal carry gun or go with a 1911.

So in the first group, to carry, should I go with the Sig P226 or a 1911. If a 1911, which brand. I'm leading towards S&W, Springfield Armory or Kimber.

The second part is what I call my fun group. This is equally difficult for me to choose. In this group I can choose 2 maybe 3. This is between the S&W 500, S&W 460, Desert Eagle 50ae, Taurus Judge or a model 29 S&W.

I'm leaning towards the Sig for carry and the 500 is all but guaranteed a trip home.

I will take your words of wisdom into consideration of this monumental decision. I will not let you know my final decision until they are home and family pics are taken. Then of course I will update you with photos and the first range report.

Thank you INGO for your impartial, fair and balanced suggestions.

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    In the next week or two, I'll be purchasing 3 or 4 new/used hand guns. I need help deciding as I have about 7 on my short list, many more on my long list.

First is should I get a Sig P226 to replace the one I had to sell, my normal carry gun or go with a 1911.

So in the first group, to carry, should I go with the Sig P226 or a 1911. If a 1911, which brand. I'm leading towards S&W, Springfield Armory or Kimber.
    Sig226

The second part is what I call my fun group. This is equally difficult for me to choose. In this group I can choose 2 maybe 3. This is between the S&W 500, S&W 460, Desert Eagle 50ae, Taurus Judge or a model 29 S&W.
    S&W 460 or S&W 500

I'm leaning towards the Sig for carry and the 500 is all but guaranteed a trip home.

I will take your words of wisdom into consideration of this monumental decision. I will not let you know my final decision until they are home and family pics are taken. Then of course I will update you with photos and the first range report.

Thank you INGO for your impartial, fair and balanced suggestions.

My answers in bold/red

EDIT: the S&W 460 if its the ES model.
    2lt13fc.jpg

Or the S&W 500ES
    500-es.jpg

Last edited:

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    The Sig is a good choice because I do have 4 spare mags for that. But I really do want a 1911. I really enjoy the 500 so that's near the top of my fun guns. I'm certain that at least 3 guns will come home with me possibly 4.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I'm really partial to the 1911A1's, especially the Kimbers but the SIG would be nice too.... Now I know you dearly loved the old 500, but you know if you got a 1911A1 and a 460 S&W magnum you would be on the same diameter bullet for reloading purposes... and you could run 460 S&W, 454 casull, 45 Long Colt, and 45 Rimed calibers in the Smith X frame... Giving you much lateral use of the big thumper...

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I'm really partial to the 1911A1's, especially the Kimbers but the SIG would be nice too.... Now I know you dearly loved the old 500, but you know if you got a 1911A1 and a 460 S&W magnum you would be on the same diameter bullet for reloading purposes... and you could run 460 S&W, 454 casull, 45 Long Colt, and 45 Rimed calibers in the Smith X frame... Giving you much lateral use of the big thumper...
    The 460 has the option of shooting other rounds like gunbunnies said, I sold my S & W 500, cause it kicked too much & ammo was just too expensive:twocents:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Andy you and I have discussed this at some length in the cigar lounge. Here is my list of recommendations for the start of your new collection. 2 are practical. 1 is your sentimental favorite. 1 is a new fun gun for your consideration.

1. Sig 1911, simply because you love Sigs and you NEED a 1911.
    2. Sig P226, because that is your former carry gun, its a gun you love, its a gun you are 100% comfortable with.
    3. S&W 500, because nothing says STOP like a bullet the size of a trash bin!
    4. Wildey Auto Mag, because everyone needs a gun that few people have, and that creates passion for it even among experienced shooters.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Andy you and I have discussed this at some length in the cigar lounge. Here is my list of recommendations for the start of your new collection. 2 are practical. 1 is your sentimental favorite. 1 is a new fun gun for your consideration.

1. Sig 1911, simply because you love Sigs and you NEED a 1911.
    2. Sig P226, because that is your former carry gun, its a gun you love, its a gun you are 100% comfortable with.
    3. S&W 500, because nothing says STOP like a bullet the size of a trash bin!
    4. Wildey Auto Mag, because everyone needs a gun that few people have, and that creates passion for it even among experienced shooters.

I'm not sure I want to get 2 "carry type" guns right off the bat. Although it is a possibility. The 500 is almost a gimme, because I love it. The Wildey is on the list for this years purchases. But not sure if its one of the first purchases.

If I go with a Sig P226 I can start carrying sooner then if I go with the 1911 Sig. I'll need to get more comfortable with the 1911 platform before I carry one. That being said I don't have a problem lurking off carrying until I get some serious range time. Which actually shouldn't be that difficult for me this year.

For the fun guns I've all but decided on at least the 500. Technically I'm torn between the 460 and the DE. That is subject to change. There'd so many choices, its difficult to actually decide.

I'll be at the lounge tomorrow if you're around I'll have to pick your brain some more. I feel like a kid in a candy store right now. Which is why I'm normally an impulse buyer.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'll be at the lounge but I'm getting an early oil change, so it will probably be 9:30am before I get there.

Have you played with the new ergonomically advanced Detonics MTX double stack 1911? If not I could bring it to the lounge for you to drool over.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I would say get the Sig P226 and the 500.

From reading your posts it seems like those are the 2 you want the most so I say go with your gut.

What caliber 226 are you getting?

I have one in .40 and I love it. But Im getting a P229 SAS, also in .40, for EDC.

Top Bottom