• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    There have been a talk about price gouging going on, but I think the better word is profiteering. And there's been a whole lot of profiteering off of personal protection.

The things I have seen in the wake of this hysteria is sickening. ARs and Pmags going at ridiculous prices. While I agree that these "tactics" are perfectly legal, and the right of the seller in a supply/demand society, it saddens me to see how much of a community we AREN'T.

Ask yourself why are people buying these items at such crazy prices? They believe that if a gun ban does take place, they will lack the ability to obtain the tools they'll need to adequately protect themselves and their family. A $50 Pmag certainly places a serious hurdle in completing that goal.

Personal protection, that's why I think these people are paying these prices. And if not, then it implies that the things the govt wants to ban, we don't actually need at all. Think about that for a second. If we're so willing to part with our precious firearms and accessories, to turn a profit, why did we buy them in the first place, and why are we so eager to screw those within our community be it with $80 pmag or a $400 lower? Is it ethically wrong to handicap a person financially who wants the means to defend themselves? IMO, and although 100% legal, yes. A seller can turn a profit without scheming their way to a 300% markup "because they can."

If a person was starving or dying of thirst, and you had a food and water you could spare, what would be the going rate on that stuff? A person doesn't have a right to be fed, or provided with water, but they do have the right to defend themselves. Based on all I've seen, I imagine that $100 for a case of water, and $30 for a box of Cheerios wouldn't be too far of leap, for some... and this is for items you don't need.

Ever complained about the Sheiks in the middle east jacking us on oil? Did you guys agree with that? Well someone tell me the difference?

Further, how are we supposed to hold the moral ground when we condone such practices? If the government taxed a $10 pmag to $40, or a $70 lower to $300, we'd be screaming blood murder. Sure the Constitution should prevent such govt actions, but how is the effect any different when the same policy is enacted community-wide by your neighbors and friends. Seems to me, your pocket would be equally punished.

This hysteria has showed me that we're not a community. We are a bunch of people that have no cohesiveness and fail to see the "big picture."

The free market will eventually put this nonsense back in check, but it's too late, we've already been exposed as the frauds we are. I used to actually think that if the govt really did overstep it's authority, we'd have the likeness of mind to hold them in check. Now, I wouldn't trust us, as a group, to walk in a straight line, let alone anything that would actually need our attention.

(Not a Disclaimer)
    If you're jacking people in the classifieds here or someplace else, I'm talking directly to you. It's your legal right, I will not deny, but you are doing harm to the community.

...and I love the 51-59 post vultures that have popped up recently.

(Kut ain't happy)

Menace67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Noblesville
    I could not agree more! I have a buddy who really wants to get into the sport and buy an AR, unfortunately for him he is on a limited budget. So I told him I would build him an AR from parts I could find to help him out. Now with the price inflation that is out of control I had to tell him last night that I could not do his build do to the fact that I can not get him a lower. It's sad to see what things have come to.

Lonewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    I could not agree with you more. It is sad that all people think about is profit. I can understand making a little extra money, but $2000 extra on certain guns? I hope these people feel like garbage if an AWB does not go through. It's just sad that even the gun community lives by the saying "never waste a good tragedy."

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I could not agree with you more. It is sad that all people think about is profit. I can understand making a little extra money, but $2000 extra on certain guns? I hope these people feel like garbage if an AWB does not go through. It's just sad that even the gun community lives by the saying "never waste a good tragedy."

Really people? How much do full auto weapons go for certainly THOUSANDS more than they were bought for originally im sure. If a ban goes into place these weapons will likely be placed in the same category as full auto. Not too mention with how badly MOST people need money right now, i certainly cant blame them for wanting to maximize the money they will make if someone is stupid enough to pay those prices

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I agree to an extent. Price new gun owners out of the market, watch gun owner's rights erode. The fewer people who shoot, the fewer people who care if you can shoot. Simple enough.

However, I disagree that you can't get quality firearms for personal protection at a reasonable price, even during this bubble. You can still get a Mossberg 500 or a Taurus .38+P revolver for $300-ish. ARs and AKs are far from the only option for personal defense. As the Stones once pointed out, You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes well you might find, You get what you need.

That said, I think we're in a temporary bubble. Some like to live on the edge of panic, but in a few months when everyone sees the status quo has been maintained, the majority will go back to "normal" prices on the AKs/ARs.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    There have been a talk about price gouging going on, but I think the better word is profiteering. And there's been a whole lot of profiteering off of personal protection.

The things I have seen in the wake of this hysteria is sickening. ARs and Pmags going at ridiculous prices. While I agree that these "tactics" are perfectly legal, and the right of the seller in a supply/demand society, it saddens me to see how much of a community we AREN'T.

Ask yourself why are people buying these items at such crazy prices? They believe that if a gun ban does take place, they will lack the ability to obtain the tools they'll need to adequately protect themselves and their family. A $50 Pmag certainly places a serious hurdle in completing that goal.

Personal protection, that's why I think these people are paying these prices. And if not, then it implies that the things the govt wants to ban, we don't actually need at all. Think about that for a second. If we're so willing to part with our precious firearms and accessories, to turn a profit, why did we buy them in the first place, and why are we so eager to screw those within our community be it with $80 pmag or a $400 lower? Is it ethically wrong to handicap a person financially who wants the means to defend themselves? IMO, and although 100% legal, yes. A seller can turn a profit without scheming their way to a 300% markup "because they can."

If a person was starving or dying of thirst, and you had a food and water you could spare, what would be the going rate on that stuff? A person doesn't have a right to be fed, or provided with water, but they do have the right to defend themselves. Based on all I've seen, I imagine that $100 for a case of water, and $30 for a box of Cheerios wouldn't be too far of leap, for some... and this is for items you don't need.

Ever complained about the Sheiks in the middle east jacking us on oil? Did you guys agree with that? Well someone tell me the difference?

Further, how are we supposed to hold the moral ground when we condone such practices? If the government taxed a $10 pmag to $40, or a $70 lower to $300, we'd be screaming blood murder. Sure the Constitution should prevent such govt actions, but how is the effect any different when the same policy is enacted community-wide by your neighbors and friends. Seems to me, your pocket would be equally punished.

This hysteria has showed me that we're not a community. We are a bunch of people that have no cohesiveness and fail to see the "big picture."

The free market will eventually put this nonsense back in check, but it's too late, we've already been exposed as the frauds we are. I used to actually think that if the govt really did overstep it's authority, we'd have the likeness of mind to hold them in check. Now, I wouldn't trust us, as a group, to walk in a straight line, let alone anything that would actually need our attention.

(Not a Disclaimer)
    If you're jacking people in the classifieds here or someplace else, I'm talking directly to you. It's your legal right, I will not deny, but you are doing harm to the community.

(Kut ain't happy)

Brother, I agree with your position 100%. I have 5 kids at home (and my older 2 boys shoot with me regularly). They just got a Savage mark 2 each for christmas. Before all this nonsense, my wife and I planned in the budget for me to get an AR as next on my list.. I began shopping around and looking. The plan was to put one on layaway so by spring, it would be paid for and ready to roll. THEN all this nonsense happend. There's no possible way I can squeeze $2k from my budget right this second to go get one. I was looking for a stripped lower to build when things calm down, can't find one. Mags are gone. There is no hope left for me (at least) to get a gun that I really had my heart set on.

There is a member here that has a gun shop that said the customer will not pay more until the owner pays more. I immediately sent this member a PM about my situation asking if there's a deal that we can work out. No response. Not a 'screw you'.. not a 'can't because of the demand'... nothing. Preach here about something, then come up missing. (you know who you are.. I won't out anyone though)

Sickens me that this is what 'we' have become (gun owners and/or community)

/rant

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    The high prices are what seperates those who have a true need versus those who just want to hoard/stockpile more and more (which includes a large portion of this "community", self included). If sellers refuse to raise prices, it makes those products unavailable (trying finding mags right now on those 'loved' sites which did not raise prices). If people do raise prices in accordance with market demand, it weeds out the hoarders/stockpilers. The only thing worse than a free market economy is every other type of economy.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The high prices are what seperates those who have a true need versus those who just want to hoard/stockpile more and more (which includes a large portion of this "community", self included). If sellers refuse to raise prices, it makes those products unavailable (trying finding mags right now on those 'loved' sites which did not raise prices). If people do raise prices in accordance with market demand, it weeds out the hoarders/stockpilers. The only thing worse than a free market economy is every other type of economy.

It's an artificially inflated market. Any gunowner with a little bit of political savvy understands this. The people unloading their stuff, are fully expecting to replace it (at correct pricing) in the future when the market stabilizes. In the meantime, those of our brethern that have just recently become "aware" of the "potential" loss of a right that they don't fully understand and haven't taken advantage of, are attempting to join our ranks. Those of use that do understand how highly unlikely a AWB is to pass (noting that even with a Democratic controlled House the last ban passed by ONE vote), have taken it upon ourselves to take advantage of those who are valuable to our cause.
    Money doesn't grow on trees, and there are many that can't drop $800, let alone $2000 at the drop of a hat. I have several younger friends that have been saving for months in hopes of getting themselves protection. $50 here $100 there all in hopes of owning a firearm. Now, this has literally taken the wind out of their sails.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I sold one of my AR's, but I did not price it like many are. I'll be using the money to stock up on reloading compnents. It's is a free market, some people are willing to pay inflated prices. That's on them. We the buyers are helping to inflate the prices, because we are willing to pay them. If I listed an AR for $2,000, but no one was willing to pay that price, because others where selling theirs for $1,500. I would either have to lower my price, or decide to keep it. As long as people are willing to pay higher prices, retailers, etc. will continue to make higher profits. So, yes, the buyers have just as much influence. Even if I wanted mags, I would not pay some of these prices. You have to decide how bad you want something. What you are willing to pay.

ae168504

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Indianapolis

(Not a Disclaimer)

(Kut ain't happy)

Well said... I could not agree more. I say just ride it out and when all these impulse buying, non gun owners realize they really dont need that AR and have to sell it for normal price (half what they paid) then us true gun owners will be glad to take them off their hands.....

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    Koudos to Plainfield Shooting. I was there sat and got my wife a glock 17. I saw a 1000 round box of 223 and asked how much. Mrs Check the owner(sorry I forgot her first name, said there was a 2 box limit. She didnt want or encourage price gouging. I thought that was great on their part. I have shopped there before and will again.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    The solution is to stop buying, I have. I refuse to pay the prices people are asking. If you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem. There is no law passed yet to cause me to pay these prices and even if a law is passed I will be damned if I will pay the prices I see being asked. I'm happy with what I have.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It's always up to the purchaser. Always. If we don't buy it, it can sit on a shelf and rot. No one can force me to buy a product. The government can apparently, but let's not go there in this thread.

Ethics has never been a strong enough virtue when looking at the gun owning community. Scumbag hillbillies with no shame at all come to mind when I read some things in the classifieds.

There are many guys out there that have a lot more liquid wealth than I do. They usually have it because they are more frugal and careful to what they spend. Others are so loaded they roll into places like gander mountain and just buy whatever without looking at the price (what a life! lol). I'm not jealous. I used to be dumbfounded, but it doesn't matter to me.

If someone needs a part or something right now, I feel for them. I just don't know if they were living in a fantasy world months ago not knowing this was going to happen (again!).

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I am sorry, but I disagree.

First of all, the whole "community" angle your pushing is purely socialist BS. It is not my responsibility to worry about those who are unprepared. Nor, is it my problem to concern myself with those who have finally seen the light and have just started their "collection".

Now, before you get on your high horse and make some incorrect assumptions about me, I am more than happy to educate folks and give advice on firearms subjects that I know well, for free I might add. But if some slack jawed, booger eatin' moron, wants to jump into the fray without educating themselves, well, I offer zero remorse.

The fact is, in the real world, life is not fair and can be cruel, dangerous and expensive to the stupid and uninformed. I suggest asking a lot of questions, do some serious research and wear a helmet.

evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    I am sorry, but I disagree.

First of all, the whole "community" angle your pushing is purely socialist BS. It is not my responsibility to worry about those who are unprepared. Nor, is it my problem to concern myself with those who have finally seen the light and have just started their "collection".

Now, before you get on your high horse and make some incorrect assumptions about me, I am more than happy to educate folks and give advice on firearms subjects that I know well, for free I might add. But if some slack jawed, booger eatin' moron, wants to jump into the fray without educating themselves, well, I offer zero remorse.

The fact is, in the real world, life is not fair and can be cruel, dangerous and expensive to the stupid and uninformed. I suggest asking a lot of questions, do some serious research and wear a helmet.

Thank you. No one is coercing anyone to pay these exorbitant prices. I wish they taught Austrian econ in the mandatory education camps...

MrBlue54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    LaPorte
    One question that comes to my mind, is who is willing to pay the higher prices?
    I think that when the statistics come out, we will find that it was more first time gun buyers, that sit on the fence, and then panic buy.
    I am sure that there are those in the "community" that may have been thinking of buying and then jumped on a purchase in the hope that the price they paid would not go up before they laid down their $$$$.
    I do agree that inflating the price to profit is bad.
    But lets look at the gun shop owner who now knows that it will cost $900-1500 to purchase another gun to put on the shelf. THAT's COST, not Retail! What would you do if you are the LGS owner? Tough question!
    Just my 2-cents
    MrBlue

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.

Ask yourself why are people buying these items at such crazy prices? They believe that if a gun ban does take place, they will lack the ability to obtain the tools they'll need to adequately protect themselves and their family. A $50 Pmag certainly places a serious hurdle in completin

(Not a Disclaimer)

(Kut ain't happy)
    Profiteering is why I buy my stuff thru on line dealers a lot. Everyone says to "support your local gun shops", well where is the support from the local gun shops at times like this. There is none. They want the big profits regardless of who they screw. Gun shops do not do you any favors, they are in business for themselves, not for you.

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    I could not agree more. the biggest threat to gun owners will be themselves. Yes the anti-gun & 2A people are on the warpath, but the biggest threat to gun ownership is ignorance. Ignorant gun owners will show that price gouging, fear mongering, and can have an effect. Not everyone can afford a 1200 dollar dpms right now. Banding together as a "MSG" mindset we can stand up for our rights as a group. or we can bleed each other dry on funds, voice, and rights.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Are people really advocating that there is a need for an AR or AK for self defense? While I'm as anti ban as anyone and would like to pick up a nice AR for myself, I'm not deluding myself myself into thinking I need it to defend my home. Pistols, sure, there is a need for them as it's hard to conceal a long gun, but a shotgun can be just as effective at defending one's home as an AR and in come cases be a better choice. Count me as one of those who will not pay outrageous prices just because I want something. There will be alternatives.

Top Bottom