Discharging firearms within city limits (Richmond)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    So I have been considering the purchase of a .22 caliber air rifle for some time now. My main reason is to have something to shoot in my back yard when I can't get out to the range. I wouldn't mind taking care of some local demons (rabbits) and their evil twin cousins (squirrels). I'm pretty confident it is prohibited to dispose of pests with the use of a weapon while inside the city limits but I wasn't sure if I was legally allowed to target shoot with an air rifle in my back yard.

I live inside the city limits on a little over a half acre. I would be firing from an elevated portion of my property and my rounds would be traveling at a downward angle. I would also be setting up an additional backstop.

This is the only item I could find regarding the discharge of an air rifle inside the city limits:

The City of Richmond, Indiana

After reading this I am understanding, that according to the city code, I could legally discharge my rimfire rifles as well provided I do so in a safe manner and in a way that no harm will come to any person or any property. I would also have to ensure I'm not in any violation of any noise ordinances as well but I'm confident that would not be a problem. If I'm incorrect, could anyone cite the code that forbids the discharge of a rimfire rifle inside the city limits?

Thanks for any info you guys may have. I will be contacting my local PD before I proceed with my purchase but I would like the input of my fellow gun owners as well. :D

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    Section i of the link provided looks like a definite no to me unless I am reading something wrong.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yeah, it would appear that section (i) pretty much overrides section (a) when it comes to firearms.

Also of note, section (b) appears to violate State Law.

DKSComp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Richmond
    I live in Richmond also. It is against city code to discharge air rifle in city limits. I use mine indoors---that is legal

Dave Schattel

jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    When I lived in town (Richmond) I used a live-trap quite a bit to keep critters culled around the house- my advice is to go to TSC and pick one up- use a little discression on where you set it, and when you "empty" it, and even the nosiest neighbor will be none the wiser...

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I know it's illegal to dispose of varmints inside the city limits but I wasn't sure about target shooting with an air rifle.

According to the information in the link I posted, it is only illegal to for an air rifle if the individual knowingly fires the rifle in a manner that would do harm to another or their property.

Am I not reading this correctly?

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    The best way to get the pets :ar15:is .22LR from inside the house, no barrel out of house. I have one window I shoot through :n00b: the screen and replace it when needed. No neighbor :popcorn:has ever said a word about hearing me shoot. Just pick up the pet after a half hour or so. We don't have any bad dogs :draw:running around either as they also seem to die after the second time off the chain or outside the fence.:dunno:

How it should have read.
    The best way to get the PESTS :ar15:is .22LR from inside the house, no barrel out of house. I have one window I shoot
    through :n00b: the screen and replace it when needed. No neighbor :popcorn:has ever said a word about hearing me shoot. Just pick up the pest after a half hour or so. We don't have any bad dogs :draw:running around either as they also seem to die after the second time off the chain or outside the fence.:dunno:

Last edited:

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    The best way to get the pets :ar15:is .22LR from inside the house, no barrel out of house. I have one window I shoot through :n00b: the screen and replace it when needed. No neighbor :popcorn:has ever said a word about hearing me shoot. Just pick up the pet after a half hour or so. We don't have any bad dogs :draw:running around either as they also seem to die after the second time off the chain or outside the fence.:dunno:

You are actually shooting other peoples pets. Then you have the gaul to post it!

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh

Unbelievable.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Newsflash...that does NOT make you a man. In fact it statistically makes you deranged. Anyone that has the gaul to take the life some neighborhood child's pet JUST BECAUSE IT GOT IN YOUR YARD obviously is one sick individual. You should seek help before your "killing" gets out of control OR some neighborhood father figures you out and fixes the problem for all of us! You are a sick mofo!

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    well. if the dog is on his property i guess he can take care of it how he pleases.

Maybe you and Warren can go half and half on some psychiatric care!

So you are telling me that it is ok that i shoot your son/daughter/wife/mother's pet just because it got out and came into my yard? YOU ARE A LIAR IF YOU SAY THAT YOU AND I WOULDN'T BE HAVING WORDS AT A MIN. OVER THAT! :noway:

YOU ARE A FAIL TO SOCIETY JUST LIKE YOUR COUNTERPART WARREN! :twocents:

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Maybe you and Warren can go half and half on some psychiatric care!

So you are telling me that it is ok that i shoot your son/daughter/wife/mother's pet just because it got out and came into my yard? YOU ARE A LIAR IF YOU SAY THAT YOU AND I WOULDN'T BE HAVING WORDS AT A MIN. OVER THAT! :noway:

YOU ARE A FAIL TO SOCIETY JUST LIKE YOUR COUNTERPART WARREN! :twocents:

bashing hard are we? did you have pet abandonment issues? :popcorn:

if a pet of mine got out, go ahead. the carcass is your problem now. drop it on my property and then that makes you the criminal for wanton waste / illegal disposal of a carcass. or something neat like that.

we could have "words". but the law is on my side. cut and dry. you could waste all your money trying to "recoup the emotional loss", but it will get you NOWHERE. keep your dong contained.

how am i a fail to society? please.. im waiting to hear.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    You'll never understand until you have kids...kid. The law might be on your side...but people have "accidents" that are ruled legal all the time.
    There is a reason why the majority, the vast majority of the posters in this thread ARE NOT siding with you and your buddy Warren. That should speak volumes to that soft thing in between your ears.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    You'll never understand until you have kids...kid.

ok.. dog gets loose and is wandering your property line.. you have notified the owner of the dog multiple times that your dog and this dog do not get along, so keep it on a leash / in the yard / etc etc..

neighbors dog has a beeline set for your dog.. do you call the owner of dog and wait while your daughters dog gets ripped apart? or do you cover your own?

the part that is most offensive to me is that you just threw me in the bunch for saying warren or whoever would suffer no legal repercussions, but whatevers.. judge people by a sentence on the interwebs.. :rolleyes:

OP- sorry for the disturbance that mister 1187 has caused, if i were you, id steer clear and keep it safe while in city limits. in the basement with an air rifle is another story.. ;) like others have said. either way, just keep it safe.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    ok.. dog gets loose and is wandering your property line.. you have notified the owner of the dog multiple times that your dog and this dog do not get along, so keep it on a leash / in the yard / etc etc..

neighbors dog has a beeline set for your dog.. do you call the owner of dog and wait while your daughters dog gets ripped apart? or do you cover your own?

the part that is most offensive to me is that you just threw me in the bunch for saying warren or whoever would suffer no legal repercussions, but whatevers.. judge people by a sentence on the interwebs.. :rolleyes:

OP- sorry for the disturbance that mister 1187 has caused, if i were you, id steer clear and keep it safe while in city limits. in the basement with an air rifle is another story.. ;) like others have said. either way, just keep it safe.
    You dont have the authority to apologize on my behalf. Guess you havent figured out where your place in life is yet...its called pecking order. You never said a word about a dog attacking your dog...now you conveniently add that into the mix. If that were your original logic behind your first post in this thread then you would have mentioned that as details then.... Instead you intended on puffing your little chest out which made you feel like a man. Ironically the MEN in this thread that called you and your buddy Warren out see you both for what you TRULY are. ;)

Top Bottom