• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So the women folk were going to Mama Mia in Fort Wayne what were us men folk to do. We decide to go camping at Chain O Lakes. It was me my 2 boys and a nephew. I open carry as it is hot and I refuse to look the slob by untucking my shirt. We arrived around 7 purchased firewood and got the kids some candy at the store. Went to our site in the primitive area and set up camp. That being done the kids wanted to go the play ground so I walked them there and went to check the boards as to the goings on that weekend. I went and told them 10 more minutes and we would do marshmellows. I then sat and observed human nature. Funny thing was I saw a group of about 8 adults drinking beer and about 4 loose dogs. We go back do the marshmellows and hang out for awhile. Around 9 we go to brush our teeth wash up. By now it is a little chillier and we had on jackets. We headed back to our site and saw a DNR truck parked in front of it. He drove my way when he saw me I geuss my cowboy hat sticks out. He got out of the truck and asked me "do you have a piece?" I answered to the affirmitive. He asked if I was aware it was illegal to have it out in the opening. I asked him to site the code. He could not. He asked where I was from and I told him Fort Wayne he asked if I carried in that manner there. I said yes we then debate the finer points of carrying. After I believe he realized I knew the laws and showed him the park literature stating with a license I could carry. I informed him that the park rules changed several years ago and when I contacted DNR then they informed me as long as I followed state law I could carry there. And state law says I can carry in the open. He begged to differ. I stated code 35-47 states that in order to carry I had to have a license which I showed him. It allows me to carry concealed but does not mandate concealment I said we could clear it up if he could supply the law I was breaking or park rule. He said he would get the Conservation officer out to the park. He did tell me the rule change merely meant I could keep it in my vehicle. I stated that that was the rule before. He told me people were concerned. I told him to just tell them I was legal and the concern might go away. I told him as a favor I would put in my truck until he got clarification as long as when he realized it was legal he would go to the woman that complained and inform her that I was in fact following the law. He agreed we shook hands and I went to bed.

I went hiking the next day and cleaned the trails as we went (people are messy 9 beer cans on one trail alone.) No conservation officer seemed to want to show. I had told the ranger exactly where I would be the whole day. We were done for the day and went back to prepare for dinner in my own spot gun went back on. The people 3 spots down came and asked what the ranger wanted. Seems they also knew the law. Well dinner was cooking when the ranger came back. He informed me that the conservation officer should be coming by later it was already 6. I then used it as a teachable moment discussed the law and as a side note I explained why escpecially in the state park I carry. One the reasons was I was ultimately responsible for my safety and my kids' and with no cell phone getting help if a cop was neccessary the response time would be atrocious. Also I have been the victim of a vicious dog attack that hospitalized me and required surgery over a prolonged period of time and with this amount of dogs I would not be bitten again. I then asked him oh by the way why am I being hassled over an non existent rule when you are not citing anyone for dogs off leashes or leashes longer than 6 foot. No answer and then I mentioned the drinkers. He told me it was permissable. I informed him it was not allowed in the common areas just your site. He said he contacted the assistant manager about it and he did not have an answer he did tell me that he told him I was very polite and not argumentative. I asked if he found it telling that the conservation officer had been informed the night before and still was not there. I then invited him for dinner pizza puddgy pies and baked potatoes. He declined but thanked me. I do believe he knew at this time I was correct in the law. I asked him again so that no one else was apprehensive in the future he needed to look into the law and from now on tell people gun carriers with a license were well within the law. He told me the CO would be bye later. I told him we were going to bed around 9 and were packing up early in the morning. We then invited the neighbors over for smores had a very pleasent conversation and found out they worked for the park when they asked why the DNR was coming bye. They said well carrying is legal isn't it. I told them the laws. CO never did come by. I plan on calling the park this week to make sure they followed up on everything so the campground office could be informed.

One last side note my main point for him was people would not be so apprehensive if instead of DNR getting right on top of it and confronting the individual that they know the law and inform people that it is legal. When they have a talk with the individual people think I am glad I said something and if it is not followed up with the complainer they will just report it again. He told me well people are just concerned. I told him I was concerned with all the dogs and would he do something about that. He told me they had the right. That is what i wanted to hear as I stated I also have the right. He did tell me I could just cover it up and I stated that they could just leave their dogs home.

All in all he was calm as was I and I believe he will actually will find out what the law is. He just seemed ill informed

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    You should've called the C.O. DNR have no citation powers or anything. They just manage the property. They can ask you to leave, but beyond that it has to be State LEO or C.O.

The C.O. here is pretty cool. He drinks coffee and reads the paper in the gas station I stop in for a fountain before work each night. Never says a word about OC :)

williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Update So I wrote to the DNR about this they apologized confirmed it is quite legal and that the experience would allow them to train staff there.

3 weeks ago my wife and I realized for once we both had a holiday weekend off. We started to see if we could find a camp spot. We had to be in town Sunday for awhile for her grandmas surprise 90th. Because of this we could only go to Pokagan, Chain O Lakes, or Oubache. Last Wednesday a spot opened in Chain O Lakes so I booked it. The Boys and I had to drive seperately from the girls as they had to finish up something on Friday night and we did not want to wait.

As we are waiting at the campground check in station the DNR in question approached my vehicle. I figured it was just to apologize and tell me he found out is was legal. He tells me "I talked to the CO and I geuss it is legal". There was a tad bit of attitude. He then starts to tell me that you have to understand people are concerned. I reiteratted that I was concerned about dogs. Then it takes an interesting twist and shows what he thinks of gun carriers. He say last Friday someone was shooting off fireworks and making a racket. I said I was aware of that it kept me up. Then he says you have to understand what the first thought was when we knew someone in the campground had a gun. I said what that the law abiding gun carrier started shooting and blowing up the place. He stated "you know exactly what I mean". At this point the vehicle in front of me moved so I wanted to as well. He finished by stating with attitude "Well I prefer you conceal it". I told him I would not make any promises.

Now with his attitude I knew he was going to be watching us. We set up camp got the fire started and were going for a swim. My sons asked if they could ride in the back. Everyone else does it but I knew the ranger would be looking for me to do something wrong so I declined. Swimming over we went back to wait for the wife who was bringing up the food.

She arrived I moved my truck to the overflow lot and we kept the minivan at the lot. We were and still are (home for the party) on lot 404. I put my gun away because my wife brought up frozen fuzzy navels. I was making a hot dog when up comes the ranger with back up in the golf cart. He approaches and I said "what now", I was kinda a getting tired of the crap. He tells me "we have to discuss the 2 extra vehicles on your lot." Hot dog in one hand my first drink, not a drop consumed yet, in the other I said well I count one minivan could he please show me the other 2. He points across the street and down the lane to lot 409 (where I stayed last weekednd) and says those 2 vehicles with your truck.

I informed him he was standing in my spot and that per park rules I had moved my truck to the overflow lot when my wife arrived. "then whose truck is that?" I do not know go ask the people staying on that lot. He had that Oh **** look on his face and left. At that point my wife says something about harrassment to me. He thought he had me. At this point I was indignant. I looked around and there were at the minimum 3 other spots with multiple cars only one unloading and there was a truck with trailer right across the road parked against the rules in the grass. This was what I could see from my spot. He talked to none of them.

I went up to the front and asked to see the park manager in the morning. They asked if DNR could help. I told them he is the problem and the story and do not send him back. Back at my spot hot dog now ate drink poured out as now I do not need him saying I was getting drunk and out of hand.

Sober and starting to calm down here comes ranger harrassment. I asked him to just leave me alone. He starts going off about how he was not harrassing me and it being an honest mistake. I asked him to leave again and he would not he kept talking. I said if I am doing nothing wrong leave. He would not and kept talking about how I could see how he made the mistake. I asked him to leave he would not. I said oh yeah I can see the mistake I am 100 hundred yards from that other spot and it is a dark colored truck and since I am carrying a gun legally I must be breaking the rules somehow, I asked him to leave he did not. He asked if I wanted to talk to the manager still. I said I would in the morning please leave so that I can relax with my family he did not. He tells me he is not harrasing me it was a mistake. I asked if he knew the definition of harrasment as I had by that point asked him to leave 10 times and He still did not. After the 12th time of asking him he finally left.

The next morning after breakfast I went to the office. And they told me that the manager was actually making rounds in the campground and if I wanted he could stop by. 10 minutes later the first thing he did was apologize and kept apologizing. He told me the ranger was completly unjustified and his actions were unwarranted then he apologized again and informed me that he informed the ranger to not come anywhere near me he apologized some more. I expressed my concerns about anyone else in the park who was not aware of the rules and laws as I was. To his supreme credit he said "If nothing else it is your constitutional right.". I said even if it wasn't it is written right in state law and your park rules you hand everyone.

So now it is off to the party and back to the campground.

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Sounds to me like we need an OC camping outing at Chain O Lakes! Wonder what would happen to his poor little head if 20 or 30 of us showed up to camp, all OCing :)

I'd be down with that if I didn't have to stay for more than a "visit"... (graduation/wedding season has most weekends already spoken for).

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    This whole set of incedences is why it is so imperative if you carry a firearm to know what the laws and your rights are and be able to articulate calmly but firmly that you know what you are talking about when a situation such as this should arise.

If you don't there will be people out there with their own personal agendas that will challenge and try to intimidate you into conforming with their wishes if you are not prepared even though they have no legal standing to do so.

Don't let them draw you into a heated argument. Just assert yourself and demonstrate to them that you know what you are talking about.

:yesway: To the OP for doing just that.

williamrights

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well for the rest of our stay that ranger did not even come down to the primitive area and the ones that did did not even look at us. The manager did come by this morning while we were packing up to make sure there were no more events.
    It just gauls me what he thinks of law abiding gun owners. I mean automatically I must have been the one shooting off the fireworks and I must have been the one with multiple vehicles and thinking I was that dumb that it was honest mistake.
    As I said before if he thought it was me that is honest mistake but once you notice I am not even on that site come on. I will be contacting DNR tommorrow to file an official complaint or I think it will be brushed under the rug. I am bothered he tried to tell me it was illegal then said he did not know the law. That is bad enough to try and enforce rules you do not know but then when you do know the law but do not like it to do what he was doing and what he was saying.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I agree. An official complaint is in order. It's just not acceptable for a loose cannon to be running around like that trying to intimidate and harass law abiding park patrons to satisfy his own personal agendas. Thanks for the update and good luck.

Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Kudos to you sir for handling this so well. I am not sure I would have been able to stay as calm as you did for nearly as long. Thanks for being a good role model for the gun community.

You deserve many thanks for your handling of a situation that shouldn't have even existed.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Update So I wrote to the DNR about this they apologized confirmed it is quite legal and that the experience would allow them to train staff there.

3 weeks ago my wife and I realized for once we both had a holiday weekend off. We started to see if we could find a camp spot. We had to be in town Sunday for awhile for her grandmas surprise 90th. Because of this we could only go to Pokagan, Chain O Lakes, or Oubache. Last Wednesday a spot opened in Chain O Lakes so I booked it. The Boys and I had to drive seperately from the girls as they had to finish up something on Friday night and we did not want to wait.

As we are waiting at the campground check in station the DNR in question approached my vehicle. I figured it was just to apologize and tell me he found out is was legal. He tells me "I talked to the CO and I geuss it is legal". There was a tad bit of attitude. He then starts to tell me that you have to understand people are concerned. I reiteratted that I was concerned about dods. Then it takes an interesting twist and shows what he thinks of gun carriers. He say last Friday someone was shooting off fireworks and making a racket. I said I was aware of that it kept me up. Then he says you have to understand what the first thought was when we knew someone in the campground had a gun. I said what that the law abiding gun carrier started shooting and blowing up the place. He stated "you know exactly what I mean". At this point the vehicle in front of me moved so I wanted to as well. He finished by stating with attitude "Well I prefer you conceal it". I told him I would not make any promises.

Now with his attitude I knew he was going to be watching us. We set up camp got the fire started and were going for a swim. My sons asked if they could ride in the back. Everyone else does it but I knew the ranger would be looking for me to do something wrong so I declined. Swimming over we went back to wait for the wife who was bringing up the food.

She arrived I moved my truck to the overflow lot and we kept the minivan at the lot. We were and still are (home for the party) on lot 404. I put my gun away because my wife brought up frozen fuzzy navels. I was making a hot dog when up comes the ranger with back up in the golf cart. He approaches and I said "what now", I was kinda a getting tired of the crap. He tells me "we have to discuss the 2 extra vehicles on your lot." Hot dog in one hand my first drink, not a drop consumed yet, in the other I said well I count one minivan could he please show me the other 2. He points across the street and down the lane to lot 409 (where I stayed last weekednd) and says those 2 vehicles with your truck.

I informed him he was standing in my spot and that per park rules I had moved my truck to the overflow lot when my wife arrived. "then whose truck is that?" I do not know go ask the people staying on that lot. He had that Oh **** look on his face and left. At this point my wife says something about harrassment to me. He thought he had me. At this point I was indignant. I looked around and there were at the minimum 3 other spots with multiple cars only one unloading and there was a truck with trailer right across the road parked against the rules in the grass. This was what I could see from my spot. He talked to none of them.

I went up to the front and asked to see the park manager in the morning. They asked if DNR could help. I told them he is the problem and the story and do not send him back. Back at my spot hot dog now ate drink poured out as now I do not need him saying I was getting drunk and out of hand.

Sober and starting to calm down here comes ranger harrassment. I asked him to just leave me alone. He starts going off about how he was not harrassing me and it being an honest mistake. I asked him to leave again and he would not he kept talking. I said if I am doing nothing wrong leave. He would not and kept talking about how I could see how he made the mistake. I asked him to leave he would not. I said oh yeah I can see the mistake I am 100 hundred yards from that other spot and it is a dark colored truck and since I am carrying a gun legally I must be breaking the rules somehow, I asked him to leave he did not. He asked if I wanted to talk to the manager still. I said I would in the morning please leave so that I can relax with my family he did not. He tells me he is not harrasing me it was a mistake. I asked if he knew the definition of harrasment as I had by that point asked him to leave 10 times and He still did not. After the 12th time of asking him he finally left.

The next morning after breakfast I went to the office. And they told me that the manager was actually making rounds in the campground and if I wanted he could stop by. 10 minutes later the first thing he did was apologize and kept apologizing. He told me the ranger was completly unjustified and his actions were unwarranted then he apologized again and informed me that he informed the ranger to not come anywhere near me he apologized some more. I expressed my concerns about anyone else in the park who was not aware of the rules and laws as I was. To his supreme credit he said "If nothing else it is your constitutional right.". I said even if it wasn't it is written right in state law and your park rules you hand everyone.

So now it is off to the party and back to the campground.

please use spellcheck

Top Bottom