• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    The wife and I voted last Thursday. My job and my wifes job both requires travel, I have no idea yet where I will be on 11-8-16, but I am sure it won't be Batesville. So, we went ahead and voted early. Clerk said that they have had a steady line all week and it started earlier than 2012.

Who else decided to beat the lines at the polls??

I also have the perfect way to get rid of the door knockers.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My ballot is sitting back at my apartment, I'll fill it out when I get home friday.
    One race I still need to do some research on is education superintendent, dont know anything about them.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    We don't have such a thing as early voting on that side of the pond.
    It's interesting.

How long did that take Sam?
    I read it takes hours sometimes, must be in large cities.
    It never takes more than 5 minutes when I go voting.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    It's interesting.

Some-what off topic, but I have a question about your 2012 election of Hollande:

My wife and I were in Spain in May of 2012 and the French election seemed to dominate the news. Hollande's platform was "promises more government spending" I am curious, from your perspective, what the government is spending more money on and what affect, if any, it has had on the typical Frenchman?

I would venture to guess more government spending equals more debt burden on taxpayers. I am mainly curious to hear a native Frenchman's perspective.

Last edited:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    It's interesting.

It only took us 10 minutes max....Most of that was waiting for the machine to open up.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    It's interesting.

It took me longer to get through security...Our courthouse didn't have metal detectors in the past.. A pocket of the shorts I was wearing kept lighting up his wand...I turned the pocket inside out for him to show there was nothing there.
    Also had to run my wallet through the xray machine...They were looking for credit card knives...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Some-what off topic, but I have a question about your 2012 election of Hollande:

My wife and I were in Spain in May of 2012 and the French election seemed to dominate the news. Hollande's platform was "promises more government spending" I am curious, from your perspective, what the government is spending more money on and what affect, if any, it has had on the typical Frenchman?

I would venture to guess more government spending equals more debt burden on taxpayers. I am mainly curious to here a native Frenchman's perspective.

I'm not sure where they're spending the money.
    Our police is protesting for the tenth day today, because they don't have enough gear and such (and to change self defense laws).

In 2014 we found our that one assistant to the president spent 10K a month of tax payer money to get his shoes polished.

Our former budget minister also resigned after people discovered he had secret Swiss bank accounts.

It's like anywhere else, politicians spend the money on themselves first and if they have a bit left they might give some to build roads and hospitals.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It took me longer to get through security...Our courthouse didn't have metal detectors in the past.. A pocket of the shorts I was wearing kept lighting up his wand...I turned the pocket inside out for him to show there was nothing there.
    Also had to run my wallet through the xray machine...They were looking for credit card knives...

I went to vote in Indy in 2008 (I didn't vote but was with my lady who did).
    I was surprised I had to go thru security like at an airport to enter the building, we don't have that over here.

Last time I voted at our city hall I had a pocket knife clipped to my pocket, nobody said anything.

I guess it's depend where your local voting station is located.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    I'm not sure where they're spending the money.
    Our police is protesting for the tenth day today, because they don't have enough gear and such (and to change self defense laws).

In 2014 we found our that one assistant to the president spent 10K a month of tax payer money to get his shoes polished.

Our former budget minister also resigned after people discovered he had secret Swiss bank accounts.

It's like anywhere else, politicians spend the money on themselves first and if they have a bit left they might give some to build roads and hospitals.

I suppose that solidifies that a politician is a politician regardless of country! :):

Thank you for the response; it was mostly what I expected. You seem to keep up on the goings on of the USA so I suppose you already know it is no different over here.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I went to vote in Indy in 2008 (I didn't vote but was with my lady who did).
    I was surprised I had to go thru security like at an airport to enter the building, we don't have that over here.

Last time I voted at our city hall I had a pocket knife clipped to my pocket, nobody said anything.

I guess it's depend where your local voting station is located.

The security here is new...It was not there the last time I was at the courthouse a year or so back...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I suppose that solidifies that a politician is a politician regardless of country! :):

Thank you for the response; it was mostly what I expected. You seem to keep up on the goings on of the USA so I suppose you already know it is no different over here.

It's the same in the US, just on a larger scale.
    Our president has a net worth of just over 2 millions, he's poor compared to US presidentials candidates (Clinton is worth over 30 millions apparently).
    We don't have a races between multi millionaires and billionaires.
    Our politicians have the decency not to take too much money, even if they are honest they have much smaller salaries.
    And if they steal it's just a few hundred K. :):

Top Bottom