• Status
    Not open for further replies.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I lost $10,000 in the 2008 crash... I was only allowed to deduct $3000 a year for 3 years.

If he really did lose it and the law allows him to use the loss against taxes, so be it.

Don't hate the player... hate the game.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    All excellent responses.

If Trump had done anything illegal like, say, Sharpton, would the IRS not have been all over him by now?

How would other members of the ruling class fare under such scrutiny... (that is, the ones who aren't simply stealing from the public fisc as opposed to not paying income taxes)?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    What now? Did Trump kill a baby or something? Tax returns from 1995 showing nothing illegal happened. Yeah!

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    This is such a joke. I'm a retired banker. Over the years I've seen tons of tax returns from very wealthy folks that didn't pay taxes or paid very little. Who wouldn't take advantage of the tax code to minimize what the govt steals from them?

Sadly, the Dems play this on those unsophisticated in these matters. Waiting to hear the comparison to Leona Helmsly.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    People who don't pay income tax upset by people who don't pay income tax......hmmm

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm still trying to locate the part of the story where Trump allowed four Americans to die by the hand of Islamist terrorists.
    I'm still trying to locate the part of the story where Trump set up an illegal private e-mail server to conceal nefarious activity from FOIA requests.
    I'm still trying to locate the part of the story where Trump deleted 33K e-mails under subpoena, claiming that they consisted of "yoga lessons and wedding plans."
    I'm still trying to locate the part of the story where Trump used his political office as a means of enriching his own "charitable foundation."
    I'll keep looking for it, though.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The thing I took away from the article, is that he LOST $916 MILLION in a year. That's a LOT of scratch from "a highly-skilled businessman who has a fiduciary responsibility to his business, his family and his employees to pay no more tax than legally required." If it happened in 2008, like when K_W had a hit, that's one thing, but that happened to Trump in 1995. The economy was doing quite well during that time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I lost $10,000 in the 2008 crash... I was only allowed to deduct $3000 a year for 3 years.

If he really did lose it and the law allows him to use the loss against taxes, so be it.

Don't hate the player... hate the game.

We took a far more serious hit than this.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm still trying to locate the part of the story where Trump allowed four Americans to die by the hand of Islamist terrorists.
    I'm still trying to locate the part of the story where Trump set up an illegal private e-mail server to conceal nefarious activity from FOIA requests.
    I'm still trying to locate the part of the story where Trump deleted 33K e-mails under subpoena, claiming that they consisted of "yoga lessons and wedding plans."
    I'm still trying to locate the part of the story where Trump used his political office as a means of enriching his own "charitable foundation."
    I'll keep looking for it, though.

To be fair, you can't make an honest comparison on job performance if one of those being compared has never had the job. You may compare Clinton's shoddy performance with other Sec of State's, and Trump to other businessmen, but you kinda can't compare the two.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    The thing I took away from the article, is that he LOST $916 MILLION in a year. That's a LOT of scratch from "a highly-skilled businessman who has a fiduciary responsibility to his business, his family and his employees to pay no more tax than legally required." If it happened in 2008, like when K_W had a hit, that's one thing, but that happened to Trump in 1995. The economy was doing quite well during that time.

Maybe if Hillary was doing more than making speeches and selling influence in the government and contributing to her own foundation, she would have had business losses too.

Pity the NYT doesn't think Hillary's email scandal and the DOJ conspiracy to cover up isn't as newsworthy or relevant to their endorsement.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm not an accountant but he likely didn't lose it all in a year. He took the loss on it that year but likely a multi year thing. If the value of what I own investment wise drops $1 mil a year for five years then I sell I can claim $5mil in the last year, right?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Maybe if Hillary was doing more than making speeches and selling influence in the government and contributing to her own foundation, she would have had business losses too.

Pity the NYT doesn't think Hillary's email scandal and the DOJ conspiracy to cover up isn't as newsworthy or relevant to their endorsement.

I'm not talking about Clinton. She has her own issues. Sure, Trump may have been completely legal in his tax returns. But that's not the point. The struggling American, working day to day to make ends meet, is going to look at this as "proof," that the system is rigged in favor of the rich, who can lose damn near a billion dollars, and still live an incredibly lavish lifestyle. It, of course, won't change the mind of die-hard Trump supporters, but to the undecided voters, it's another chip off the rock.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm not talking about Clinton. She has her own issues. Sure, Trump may have been completely legal in his tax returns. But that's not the point. The struggling American, working day to day to make ends meet, is going to look at this as "proof," that the system is rigged in favor of the rich, who can lose damn near a billion dollars, and still live an incredibly lavish lifestyle. It, of course, won't change the mind of die-hard Trump supporters, but to the undecided voters, it's another chip off the rock.

It is such a sad thing that these 2 are all that this system can give (force) on us.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It makes perfect sense to blame Trump for the current tax code. It was written by politicians and he's been a politician for so long.... er, wait. Sorry, got carried away there and was thinking both candidates had been life long politicians.

Well... screw trump anyway, he has bad hair and says mean things. I'm voting for the criminal! Just think, our first woman president!! Yay!!!!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom