Apple Won't Create 'Backdoor' to Help FBI Access San Bernardino Shooter's iPhone

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Good on Apple. They've already been helping the FBI, but now the .gov wants a backdoor key created that would force phones open and Apple says that that ain't happening. I am glad that Apple values their customers privacy over the supposed needs of the government. The government would never just use this key that they want once and dispose of it. They'd keep it and use it forever, giving out copies of it to their brethren in law enforcement at all levels. Here's hoping that Apple manages to stick to their guns in this matter.

Tim Cook: Apple Won't Create 'Backdoor' to Help FBI Access San Bernardino Shooter's iPhone - Mac Rumors

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    The victims are dead, the shooters are dead, it's over, and it's obvious what happened. What are they hoping to get from this 18 minutes of phone data? One more sentence to write in the eventual Wikipedia page for the shooting?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Here's a message from Apple (Tim Cook) to the customers regarding this

Customer Letter - Apple

We have great respect for the professionals at the FBI, and we believe their intentions are good. Up to this point, we have done everything that is both within our power and within the law to help them. But now the U.S. government has asked us for something we simply do not have, and something we consider too dangerous to create. They have asked us to build a backdoor to the iPhone.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Hack THAT I-phone...okay...hack EVERY I-phone. Heck no.

The government has become so comfortable asking for the tools of tyranny that they no longer know they're doing it.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I don't understand, please help me.

If someone goes missing or there's suspected foul play can't law enforcement gain access to phones some way?

Aren't phone records supeoned all the time?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    We need to keep close watch on this one. Let's see IF we're really a free country or not. Our privacy needs protected from the Gov.
    I am sympathetic to the info/intel needs of these records on this particular phone BUT I don't trust Pandora to stay in the box once opened.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Well, as if people needed another reason to not vote for Trump, he's weighed in on the matter and sided with the feds. Screw him.

Donald Trump on Apple encryption battle: 'Who do they think they are?' | The Verge

You people read too many headlines... He's simply baffled that apple won't help the FBI wouldn't unlock ONE phone that was possessed by a man who murdered 14 people in a terrorist attack.

For that matter, I am too.

Back doors are one thing, that's insane and unreasonable, refusing to open up a phone after a crime of such scale is not.

Do we need a jury trial for someone who decided to get into a shoot out with police and lost?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't understand, please help me.

If someone goes missing or there's suspected foul play can't law enforcement gain access to phones some way?

Aren't phone records supeoned all the time?
    It's more than the call records they want.

They want the data stored on the phone.

From the tech dirt article:
    The order does not ask Apple to break the phone’s encryption, but rather to disable the feature that wipes the data on the phone after 10 incorrect tries at entering a password. That way, the government can try to crack the password using “brute force” — attempting tens of millions of combinations without risking the deletion of the data.

The order, signed by a magistrate judge in Los Angeles, comes a week after FBI Director James B. Comey told Congress that the bureau has not been able to open one of the killers’ phones. “It has been two months now, and we are still working on it,” he said.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    The problem, as I understand, is that Apple doesn't have that ability. Apple doesn't want to create that ability because the potential for abuse is there.

Good for Apple.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Back doors are one thing, that's insane and unreasonable, refusing to open up a phone after a crime of such scale is not.

Do we need a jury trial for someone who decided to get into a shoot out with police and lost?

They aren't protecting his information, they are protecting the information of their customers.

Top Bottom