Obamacare update to my ins. policy: Premium more than doubled. Yours?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    6 months ago I got a letter saying my plan complied. Then just after Thanksgiving I got a letter saying it didn't comply and my policy would be cancelled.

Today I get the "packet".

The changes? My kids gets some dental coverage and there is quasi maternity coverage which we don't need or want.

The cost? I go from $347 a month to $850.14 a month.

If I don't comply in 2014? A fine of 1% of my income. 2015? A fine of 2% and in 2016? 2.5% of my yearly income.

Why isn't Indiana nullifying this? RFN!

PLEASE CONTACT INDY ABOUT: http://legiscan.com/IN/research/HB1406/2014

Last edited:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I have 2 yrs to find out if Norfolk Southern will negotiate for the same healthcare we have now. I hope not otherwise my wife and I better pop out 2 kids before that day.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    My monthy rate went up $35.00 and deductable went from 2K to 4K for me, cant remember what the wife and my mini me $ but both also went up.
    And we have the EVIL Blue Cross and in 2016 we will have to pay a 40% tax on the premium. Think that was on page 207 ????

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    My premium only went up $3.50 a month. I'm paying around $385 a month for my family, wife and 2 kids. My out of pocket went from $2000 to $2500 for individual or $5000 for the family and my deductible went from $500 to $1000. It could be worse but I'm not happy about it when I paid just a hair under $25k in taxes in 2013!

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    My premium only went up $3.50 a month. I'm paying around $385 a month for my family, wife and 2 kids. My out of pocket went from $2000 to $2500 for individual or $5000 for the family and my deductible went from $500 to $1000. It could be worse but I'm not happy about it when I paid just a hair under $25k in taxes in 2013!

May I ask what company that is from? I'd like to check them out.

nightgaunt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Rural St Joe County
    Company switched from BCBS IL to Humana in mid-2013, and reduction in rates around $40/ mo for family plan (2 children + spouse). No reduction in benefits. For some, the sky isn't falling. But I will keep a close eye on my plan and coverage for 2014. Seems too good to be true...

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Deductibles and copays went up. Coverage went down in some areas. Not sure on rates yet...our rates normally only change once a year and that hits July 1st so we should be getting a letter on it before too long.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    May I ask what company that is from? I'd like to check them out.

I work for a privately held company in Texas in the energy sector dealing with power plants (nuclear, coal, natural gas) and oil refineries. I'm in sales and cover all of the Midwest and the northeast. Unless you're a machinist and willing to relocate to Texas, we don't have any openings. PM me though if you are interested.

We have a very christian oriented culture. We can actually talk openly about Jesus, it's rather refreshing.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Our out-of-pocket premiums went up about $500 for the year, which doesn't seem like much, but it's 25% higher than last year. In comparison, previous year-over-year increases were never more then 3-5%. Not much else changed. The big "but" though is that Mr88GT's company is one of the ones that got the delay. The real hurt will kick in next year.

Noway Jose

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Our premium went down by a couple bucks a month, but our deductible went way up. Pretty much I hope I don't need any medical attention for a while so the pre-tax HSA can get built up.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Why does everyone need maternity coverage? It's not like getting pregnant is a disease, it can be planned for and prevented. Getting pregnant is a choice.

And why would the elderly need this or someone who has had a hysterectomy or a tubal ligation?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I buy my own insurance. Due to sleep apnea, I was stuck with my original plan and could not shop around, no one would write a policy wiith that pre-existing condition. For a single male my average hohum PPO policy was about $750/month. For. One. Person.

My average medical claims over the last 10 years were less than $100/year. I now have a new policy with similar coverage for less than half that.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    And why would the elderly need this or someone who has had a hysterectomy or a tubal ligation?
    Or a single male? :D

I buy my own insurance. Due to sleep apnea, I was stuck with my original plan and could not shop around, no one would write a policy wiith that pre-existing condition. For a single male my average hohum PPO policy was about $750/month. For. One. Person.

My average medical claims over the last 10 years were less than $100/year. I now have a new policy with similar coverage for less than half that.

You're welcome.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I work for a privately held company in Texas in the energy sector dealing with power plants (nuclear, coal, natural gas) and oil refineries. I'm in sales and cover all of the Midwest and the northeast. Unless you're a machinist and willing to relocate to Texas, we don't have any openings. PM me though if you are interested.

We have a very christian oriented culture. We can actually talk openly about Jesus, it's rather refreshing.

Thank you for the offer, I'm not a machinist though.

I do want to get out of the midwest eventually. I can't take these winters, not just this one but any of them. I'm still a Floridian at heart.

I am self employed and have to buy my own insurance. Which I was fine with, I was ok with my old plan. High deductibles and OOP but low premiums and I had money invested I could easily pull out in case of needing to meet those 5k deductibles. It was a win-win.

Now my deductibles are up again and the premiums have more than doubled. It's insane.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom