• ...and so much more!
  • Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Form 1 Box 4h problem

So after 5 glorious months of waiting, I received my form 1 back today for my Mini Draco SBR. The problem is that it came with instructions of what I needed to fix. First, I had my forms signed off by IMPD and the deputy chief signed off on it for the chief. Apparently you still have to print the chiefs name and position. Did that now, problem is my other Form 4 will be coming back with the same problem. Now on to the real question.

In box 4h, I put what I had engraved on my SBR which reads:

K.A. STREETER
    INDIANAPOLIS, IN

Well the form says that nothing can be abbreviated. What is the fix for this as my rifle has already been engraved with this. Do I have to fill out new forms and leave this blank? If so do I have to have them signed off again? Or, do I use some white-out and cover it up, leaving it blank. Little help would be much appreciated INGO. Thanks

Last edited:

indybrad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Mine had to be corrected also because my name was abbreviated. I hadn't gotten my lower engraved yet though. I would call your examiner and see what they say.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    A phone call is in order, as ALL of my form 1's are marked as follows in 4-H.

C. Cary
    Indpls. IN

Box 4-H specifically asks "Additional Description (Include all numbers and other identifying data which will appear on the firearm.)"

You have clearly done what was asked on the form, as well as, what has been the standard for years for marking your info on the form 1.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Your best bet is to leave 4h blank. It causes people LOTS of problems. Also, engraving is NOT supposed to be abbreviated, except for states and recognized city abbreviations. NOW, if you fill out box 1 on the Form 1 with your initials and last name, that is OK, but the engraving needs to be the same as what's in box 1. (If you use your full middle name in box 1, you have to engrave it that way. If you use your middle initial, you have to engrave it that way.) People have and do get away with engraving just initials even when they used their full name in box 1, but that doesn't mean it's right, just that it slipped through, or that specific examiner doesn't care.

Same thing as the caliber designation. People used to put multiple calibers in the box, thinking this would cover them legally to do what they want, even though the proper way is to put down the caliber you will be making the weapon initially. Some people still get away with it, but that doesn't make it proper.

ETA: Leaving 4h blank won't cause your forms to be rejected or in any way make them improper. In my opinion, I would leave them blank.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Your best bet is to leave 4h blank. It causes people LOTS of problems. Also, engraving is NOT supposed to be abbreviated, except for states and recognized city abbreviations. NOW, if you fill out box 1 on the Form 1 with your initials and last name, that is OK, but the engraving needs to be the same as what's in box 1. (If you use your full middle name in box 1, you have to engrave it that way. If you use your middle initial, you have to engrave it that way.) People have and do get away with engraving just initials even when they used their full name in box 1, but that doesn't mean it's right, just that it slipped through, or that specific examiner doesn't care.

Same thing as the caliber designation. People used to put multiple calibers in the box, thinking this would cover them legally to do what they want, even though the proper way is to put down the caliber you will be making the weapon initially. Some people still get away with it, but that doesn't make it proper.

ETA: Leaving 4h blank won't cause your forms to be rejected or in any way make them improper. In my opinion, I would leave them blank.

That information is incorrect

A manufacturers mark can be abbreviated per Section 7.4.2 of the NFA Handbook.

7.4.2 Additional information. Certain additional information must also be conspicuously placed on
    the frame, receiver, or barrel of the firearm by engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), that is, they
    must be placed in such a manner that they are wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms
    manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch.
    The additional information includes:

(1) The model, if such designation has been made;
    (2) The caliber or gauge;
    (3) The manufacturer’s name (or recognized abbreviation); and
    (4) The city and State (or recognized abbreviation) where the manufacturer maintains its place
    of business.122

dcahsr23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    klinton take out the period marks = K A STREETER
    second if u want to leave it Blank white out isnt supposed to be allowed . I would make a high res copy of the app with a piece of matching paper covering up box 4h then fax it to 304 -616-4501 you can call 304-616-4500 to verify if they recieved your fax. faxing will speed up the process

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    klinton take out the period marks = K A STREETER
    second if u want to leave it Blank white out isnt supposed to be allowed . I would make a high res copy of the app with a piece of matching paper covering up box 4h then fax it to 304 -616-4501 you can call 304-616-4500 to verify if they recieved your fax. faxing will speed up the process

There is already white out on it because of the LEO sign off was screwed up by the LEO. And wouldn't I need to send the forms back in? They sent me both form 1's.

dcahsr23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    yes you have to send it back in u can send it by fax to the above mentioned number.. if u already have white out then i guess is too late. others already commented that they got away with it. I said is not supposed to use white-out.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I agree with Cwood not only because he is correct, he also backed it up with the verse from the NFA book

That's fine, but a first initial is NOT a recognized abbreviation by the ATF. If he puts just his initials in box 1, he can engrave just the initials on firearm. If he puts his full name in box 1, his FULL NAME must be engraved on the firearm.

I use my first name and middle initial in box 1, so that's what I engrave on my firearm. I also leave 4h blank.

The issue isn't so much the fact that he's using initials. The issue (with the NFA branch) is that there's a discrepancy between what he's putting down in box 1 and what's he putting down in box 4h.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Interesting, I got my paperwork back 2 weeks ago (also for a draco sbr) and was told to correct the first initial issue on the same box. Was told first name couldn't be abbreviated as mine was originally filed out as B. Stewart Pendleton, IN. Now I'm wondering if it's just this examiner (also Nikki). I put a line through the error and wrote the correct information in the space just beside the box. Already returned the paperwork to ATF (12-7-11), lets see what happens. Stainer, please keep us updated if you get a call back.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    That's fine, but a first initial is NOT a recognized abbreviation by the ATF. If he puts just his initials in box 1, he can engrave just the initials on firearm. If he puts his full name in box 1, his FULL NAME must be engraved on the firearm.

I use my first name and middle initial in box 1, so that's what I engrave on my firearm. I also leave 4h blank.

The issue isn't so much the fact that he's using initials. The issue (with the NFA branch) is that there's a discrepancy between what he's putting down in box 1 and what's he putting down in box 4h.

After reading what you said I get what you mean. I was totally talking about using IN instead of Indiana and Do see the problem with just using first initial now. I stand corrected.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Either things have changed, or the examiners treat this differently. I never had Nikki approve a Form1 for me, but using just first initial and last name was approved twice by Andrew Ashton and once by Sara Jones. :dunno:

Top Bottom