• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    For full reference, go to THIS LINK (their code) and skip down to page 67.

There, we read
    Sec. 6-330 Concealed Weapons Prohibited. 25
    A person who is not a peace officer or who is not licensed pursuant to I.C., 35-47-2-1 et seq., shall not
    carry about his person any concealed pistol
    , knife, razor, slingshot, metal knuckles or any other
    weapon or thing of deadly character. (Code 1968, § 42.08; 1983 Greenwood Municipal Code, § 8-2)
    OK, sounds like the "unenforced" Speedway code.

But, reading the next section really bothered me. It sounds as if you are going to carry it needs to be unloaded and in a secure container. This is a real problem for not only the Second Amendment but also the Indiana Constitution. Can someone please tell me if I'm reading this wrong???
    Sec. 6-331 Use of Firearms/Shooting of Birds.
    (a) No person, except a peace officer, shall fire or discharge any firearm, rifle, spring or air gun
    within the City, or have any firearm, rifle, spring or air gun in his possession or under his control
    unless it is unloaded and knocked down or enclosed within a carrying case or other suitable container

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Probably shouldn't have posted this on Saturday, but hopefully will get some comments here. This is serious business. Greenwood is treading on shaky ground here.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    For full reference, go to THIS LINK (their code) and skip down to page 67.

There, we readOK, sounds like the "unenforced" Speedway code.

But, reading the next section really bothered me. It sounds as if you are going to carry it needs to be unloaded and in a secure container. This is a real problem for not only the Second Amendment but also the Indiana Constitution. Can someone please tell me if I'm reading this wrong???

No, it just restates that one cannot carry without a LTCH. The IC stated covers the law for carry in Indiana. Notice the part that states ; or who is not licensed pursuant to I.C., 35-47-2-1 et seq. So yes, you read it wrong. Your welcome.:D

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.
    (b) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 35-47-4-7, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body in the person's dwelling or on the person's property or fixed place of business.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.326-1987, SEC.1; P.L.195-2003, SEC.6; P.L.98-2004, SEC.155; P.L.118-2007, SEC.35

If you have your LTCH then you can carry. Thats how I read it.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    No, it just restates that one cannot carry without a LTCH. The IC stated covers the law for carry in Indiana. Notice the part that states ; or who is not licensed pursuant to I.C., 35-47-2-1 et seq. So yes, you read it wrong. Your welcome.:D
    That's fine. I read the first code wrong. Please comment on the second one, that's the real concern.

jnicol6600

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Sec. 6-330 Concealed Weapons Prohibited. 25
    A person who is not a peace officer or who is not licensed pursuant to I.C., 35-47-2-1 et seq., shall not
    carry about his person any concealed pistol, knife, razor, slingshot, metal knuckles or any other
    weapon or thing of deadly character. (Code 1968, § 42.08; 1983 Greenwood Municipal Code, § 8-2)

No pocket knives in greenwood eh. Looks like us hillbillies arent welcome

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    It's still bull. You don't have to have a license to carry a long gun, so Greenwood is still banning the carry of certain firearms.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Standard disclaimers: IANAL, no deposit, no return, etc.

Wow. Licensed gun owners are able to carry based on 6-330. However, 6-331 appears to be fairly clear that you cannot carry it in usable condition (unloaded and knocked down or enclosed within a carrying case or other suitable container). There appears to be no provision whatsoever for self-defense shootings as there are no cases defined where discharging a firearm is legal, except for firing at obnoxious birds (pigeons) and then with restrictions. You could be charged, even if it is otherwise a good shoot.

Oh, and I didn't read all of Greenwood's code in detail, so I may have missed something, but the penalty for violating their code is a fine of up to $2,500. Sec 1-13 (a). This seems very odd. Anyone else find anything different in their municipal code?

I live near Greenwood and spend a fair amount of time there. This is worth digging into.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    This is all really poorly written.

Why would they cover possession of firearms in the section detailing use of firearms and shooting birds? So I can't possess, but I can shoot pigeons within the city limits. That's absurd.

What is a suitable container? I would consider my holster to be a suitable container. Therefore I can possess whatever I want.

In sec 6-330, I believe they meant to say "A person who is not a peace officer and who is not licensed pursuant to I.C., 35-47-2-1 et seq, shall not...." If you follow an "or" with the negative "shall not", that means if either A or B applies to you, then you shall not carry concealed. As written, if "A" applies to you (if you're not a cop), then you shall not carry concealed.

You know, I used to think anarchists were nuts. Now I'm beginning to get it, because the people making the laws are idiots.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I can't provide a full explanation of the codes mentioned in the OP, but if there were additional restrictions in Greenwood, wouldn't they be mentioned here?

I wouldn't think so. It appears to be a standard LTCH application. Greenwood accepts such apps like anywhere else, but it doesn't list state or local laws on the form beyond the details necessary for the app itself.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    After reading through a portion of the various ordinances, many haven't been updated or otherwise reviewed after subsequent state law codifications or court rulings that potentially would invalidate such.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    greenwood is full of D bag cops anyways (not all, but a lot). I seen one clocking in a residential neighborhood standing and flagging people down the other day, sheeeeeesh. if you live in greenwood, i recomend you move. no matter what the law says. They want your money through fines and they dont care how they get it!

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    greenwood is full of D bag cops anyways (not all, but a lot). I seen one clocking in a residential neighborhood standing and flagging people down the other day, sheeeeeesh. if you live in greenwood, i recomend you move. no matter what the law says. They want your money through fines and they dont care how they get it!

A cop doing what he/she gets paid to do is a D bag huh? And speeding in a "residential neighborhood" is alright with you? A Greenwood cop has been in my neighborhood pulling over people who run a certain stop sign. I must say that I do appreciate it.

AJB

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    What would cops do if automobiles were never invented? How could they possibly ever raise money through fines?

Top Bottom