• ...and so much more!
  • Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Howdy All,

I've been spending a lot of time reading through the "Where did you OC today?" thread and I was wondering if I could hear from some people that live in/visit Bloomington and open carry. I live in Bloomington as a student at IU, so I can't carry (open or concealed) most of the time because I'm on campus; but I was wondering what kind of experiences you've had with OC around town. Bloomington is a pretty liberal place so I was curious as to your encounters (positive, negative, or non-encounters) with other citizens and law enforcement. Where do you get the most looks? Are people generally accepting/oblivious or do they call you out for carrying in the open? Do the cops discourage open carry even though its legal or will they let you rock out with your glock out?

Thanks for the help!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    FYI: It's entirely LEGAL for you to carry on campus. There aren't any laws against it (provided you steer clear of any head-start, preschools, licensed day care facilities, etc)

Since you're enrolled there, I'd certainly not OPEN carry. You could find yourself expelled before the dust settles.

-J-

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    OC or Not OC is a hot topic around here and each can do his own thing but here's one thing

I CC 90% of the time, I've never had the cops called on me, never been asked to leave a place of business, and still have been as well as capable of defending myself as if I was OC

There are many many threads on hassle's on this board,
    I don't want to hijack your thread and I will respect your choice no matter what you decide.

But in the Peoples Rupublic of Bloomington you will get hassled take a trip up the road to Martinsville and you may be laughed at for not carrying a 44mag with the hammer back Cops have a job of keeping the community standards and they all interpet that diffentrly

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I carry all over Bloomington, but I choose to do it concealed, (albeit partially concealed at times.) I'm not scared of those imbibing in the anti-gun Kool-aid, rather deflecting the attention from myself and my family as I go about my business. Those who might have spotted me printing, or partially exposing my pistol haven't hassled me (yet!).
    That having been said, I do share your curiosity about how the liberal atmosphere of the town affects the interactions with true OC'rs.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I never found Bloomington to be particularly anti-gun when I lived there. Sure, there was Myles Brand and a few other cranks, but for the most part no animosity. The sheriff and police chief seem to sign everyone's machine gun and destructive device transfers, and the departments, except for IUPD, are pretty good ol' boy. YMMV.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I don't make any extra to conceal or display my weapon when carrying(don't wear tucked in shirts) and as such my weapon is often visible, and I have never had any issues. my theory is it's all about how you are looked at and how you carry yourself. OCing while wearing boat shoes and a north face jacket will get a far different reaction than wearing a nice polo shirt BDU type pants and boots.much like hollywood it's not what your true intentions are it's how those intentions are perceived.:twocents:

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I'll be putting the OC/CC thing up for testing in the PRB soon enough... waiting on locals to process my fingerprints/BG check... I'm betting it won't be much of an issue... just with my wife! LOL :)

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'll be putting the OC/CC thing up for testing in the PRB soon enough... waiting on locals to process my fingerprints/BG check... I'm betting it won't be much of an issue... just with my wife! LOL :)

I'm in the same boat, waiting for my license to go through the system. Did you use L-1? I decided to pony up the extra money after I read so many comments on here about how much faster it is. I'm a little wary of carrying in Bloomington, I feel like I would catch a lot of flack from people. I would really like to test the water with an INGO meet and eat or even just a "field trip" to kroger or a restaurant with a couple of other people that are carrying. I just want someone to hold my hand in case somebody yells at me. Maybe I should make a thread about that...

IUBrink

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    FYI: It's entirely LEGAL for you to carry on campus. There aren't any laws against it (provided you steer clear of any head-start, preschools, licensed day care facilities, etc)

Since you're enrolled there, I'd certainly not OPEN carry. You could find yourself expelled before the dust settles.

So it's legal, just an expellable offense by the school?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    So it's legal, just an expellable offense by the school?

Yup. It's against them thar rules & regulations colleges & universities are so fond of having.

You'd have to read your student handbook (or online equivalent) to know for sure. There may very well be different consequences: IE living in on campus housing and it being discovered by your RA vs. living off campus & having it because you walk home from class in the dark)

-J-

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I OC'd in Bloomington a couple of weeks ago. I was in town visiting family, and while I was running errands for them (long story) I was in several public places with my sidearm visible. No problems, no hassles, no worries.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    This "rule" is probably a holdover from the Bob Knight era. When the BB players asked that gun's not be allowed on campus in fear that he'd bring one to practice!!! LOL

Not don't get on my back!!! I like BK! At one time one of the best coaches ever!!!

I go through Bloominton about once a month and OC all the time! No prob's so far!

nk1124

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Bloomington
    I never oc'd in Bloomington but have seen people even on the outskirts of campus doing so with no problems but most of the people that I saw doing so were LE. The last ar15.com meet and eat half the folk were oc and had no problems either.

chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County
    Never OC in B-town. I always like the element of surprise. Besides I'm a people watcher and it's funny to go to the mall, to watch folks that CC. Especially the newbys. I mean they walk and sat down like they have something to hide. Besides I get a kick out of the over weight, non-carrying sec. officer that Simons malls hired. Like what are they going to do. Yell STOP!
    :tantrum:

Sorry I think I will just CC.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've carried openly in Bloomington many times without incident. The most common place we (sometimes I'm not the only one) go is Red Lobster on our way home from South Central, but I've done it several of the gas station convenience stores and a few other places as well.

Top Bottom