St. John Indiana trying to use scare-tactics?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    I'll share a little back story first. My uncle is new to guns, after the whole honey bee killer thing, he and his wife decided to buy a gun for hone protection. While buying it the clerk at Cabelas informed him he couldn't transport the gun except from store to home or to a gunsmith etc. +1 Cabelas.

After buying it he remembered that I'm the "gun guy" in the family. So he called and told he just bought a gun, I of course asked what kind. It was a Ruger 9mm, can't remember the model. He asked me if I'd be willing to take him to the range and shoe him some of the basics, no problem I said, when do you want to go. It doesn't take much arm twisting to get me to the range.

At the range we went over the basics like range rules, etiquette, gun safety, etc. He was really safe and caught on quick. He asked me to fill him in on the laws and where he can find them, the license process and all that good stuff. I of course told him about this site as a starting point and about looking in to getting some training then pointed him in the right direction about a LTCH. informed him about how with the license he can OC or CC, where it's not allowed and such.

That brings me to the St. John part, that's his town, while he was there to apply or get finger printed. He chatted with an officer there. Some how the topic of OC'ing came up, and the officer stated that OC'ing is not permitted and if someone breaks that law, they will loose their LTCH and will most likely be prosecuted. I know this because my uncle just called to inform me, he was afraid for me because 90% of the time I OC, and didn't want me to get into trouble.

I told him that the person he spoke with was misinformed and that OC is perfectly legal. Indiana law is silent on the issue, therefore if it's not specifically restricted it is a right.

I'm in St. John all the time, I OC there all the time and never had a problem or issue. Now I know to be prepared for a run in with the guy that spoke with my uncle. But with all the OC fuss; and one of our own members who had OC trouble in St. John, why don't these people know any better. Just wanted to share what happened, sometime in the next couple of days I will email the chief there and see what the heck us going on.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    It may have just been the one officer. They arent always the most educated on the laws, even ones they should be familiar with. I do think it would be kind of funny watching that officer try to arrest someone for OC. When he couldnt find a broken law about OC, Im sure he would try to go after brandishing, which of course there is no such law.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...He chatted with an officer there. Some how the topic of OC'ing came up, and the officer stated that OC'ing is not permitted and if someone breaks that law, they will loose their LTCH and will most likely be prosecuted.

Get the officer's name and department.

A quick call to his Chief is probably all it would take to get it corrected.

PM it to me if you like.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    If I don't hear back from my uncle I'm going to give him a call tomorrow to see if he remembers who told him that, I also want to make sure it was a cop that told him that as opposed to a clerk. He was in a rush when he called me so I was unable to get all the details. I'll post any additional info as soon as I talk to him. Either way I will be contacting the chief and voice my concern. I will also continue to OC in St. John and make a point of it. Looks like I won't be wearing a coat this winter while in St. John.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Plenty of documented issues with the St. John police department. I'd stop just shy of stating that they are actively engaging in a campaign of misinformation to intimidate gun owners.

Carry as you wish. Know your rights and know how to articulate them without sounding threatening.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    St.Johns??

To start with, I have never been to St. Johns. Actually really don't know where it is at.
    My question is-what keeps the local Cop Shop from getting the pants sued off of them.
    If they are enforcing their own "home made" laws, it seems to me that it could be costly to the town/local??:dunno:
    Please inform me...:popcorn:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Dude, if you go to the chief in St. John you are opening up a whole new can of worms. I just found out from my attorney that the St. John chief was furious when my case was thrown out. see: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...2024-saint_john_indiana_not_gun_friendly.html
    Know the law, remain calm, get names, and file a complaint with the US Department of Justice civil rights division. Enough complaints and they will open a federal case against the town.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I'll keep checking this thread myself. I live in St. John and am very interested in what is going on here. I haven't had a negative experience ... yet. Then again, I don't OC (for tactical reasons) but 100% support my OC bretheren.

Andy219, keep us posted and get your dad on INGO. We'd like to say hello.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Finally spoke with my uncle. He wasn't sure if it was a cop or not, I think it was a clerk. It was the person who handles paper work and stuff. He was there at the wrong time, St. John accepts apps for the LTCH mon-weds from 8-noon so he is going back Monday and is going to let me know how it goes. I'm going to draft an email to send to the chief, but will not send anything until after Monday. I'll draft the letter pertaining the misinformation that was given by the clerk or whoever it was. He will get her name on monday also. I'll update the thread on Monday, after hearing from him. I'm also going to get him to sign up for a membership here. I will say he seems to be having a hard time accepting the fact that OC legal, after what was said at the St. John police department.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Dude, if you go to the chief in St. John you are opening up a whole new can of worms. I just found out from my attorney that the St. John chief was furious when my case was thrown out. see: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...2024-saint_john_indiana_not_gun_friendly.html
    Know the law, remain calm, get names, and file a complaint with the US Department of Justice civil rights division. Enough complaints and they will open a federal case against the town.

Off course the chief was pissed. Your from northern lake county (worse yet Hammond I think) and they don't want your kind (anyone north of US-30 especially punks from ec/Hammond or gary) SOUTH of US-30 period!

Your encounter would have been worse had you been of the darker skin.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I was just stating....

and your first mistake was going to St. John PD to get your license... GO TO COUNTY!!!!!

I was under the impression that if you lived in city limits, you had to apply through city PD. Outside of city limits, you go through County Sheriffs office.

Top Bottom