• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dodgetoyz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Okay so I had my LTCH revoked and was told that I have to go to a hearing down in Indy (I live in Ft. Wayne) if I want to get it back. Long story short I was drunk one night and was cleaning my gun.... yes I know. Anyhow, I passed out and my wife found me with the gun and thought I was suicidal. Yes I had been depressed for awhile but that wasn't going to happen. She called the police and they made me go to the hospital and the hospital sent me to a looney bin to be checked out. Since I had been to a looney bin, that was cause to revoke my liscence. Now on top of that I can't legally buy a gun. Is there any point in driving to Indy for the hearing? Is there anything I can do to get my rights as a citzen back? Thanks, Chris

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    can you get a statement from your Doc that you are not a danger to yourself or anyone else?

If so take that to the hearing.

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    Sure, you may have the negative stuff against you, but if you don't go there powers that be will assume you are relenting to their authority.

The worst thing that can happen is you show up, swallow some pride by explaining your side of the story (humility) and how events unfolded to this point and they say no. You can then reapply for reinstatement.

But, like others will more than likely say, if you do nothing...then nothing will happen.

Good luck.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    as another poster noted, get a letter from your doc, the institution, etc concerning your condition or hopefully lack thereof.

when i applied for my LTCH, i truthfully answered the mental health question and had the doc fax the ISP a letter. it took a bit longer to get approved, but i did get approved. :)

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    id divorce my wife. even if you were suicidal, offing yourself is your own right.

Wow!!! Really? the worst day living is better than the best day dead!!!

anyway!! get the Dr report get the police report, then get an attorney, and go to the hearing!! if you do nothing then nothing will happen.

dodgetoyz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Thanks guys. I was diagnosed as PTSD but I don't know wether I was ruled mentally incompetent? I never went before a judge or anything like that. I would like to get my liscence back but more that anything, I want to be able to buy a gun again.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Okay so I had my LTCH revoked and was told that I have to go to a hearing down in Indy (I live in Ft. Wayne) if I want to get it back. Long story short I was drunk one night and was cleaning my gun.... yes I know. Anyhow, I passed out and my wife found me with the gun and thought I was suicidal. Yes I had been depressed for awhile but that wasn't going to happen. She called the police and they made me go to the hospital and the hospital sent me to a looney bin to be checked out. Since I had been to a looney bin, that was cause to revoke my liscence. Now on top of that I can't legally buy a gun. Is there any point in driving to Indy for the hearing? Is there anything I can do to get my rights as a citzen back? Thanks, Chris

It never was a RIGHT. It's not a right if your wife can just yank it at here whim or government gestapo can yank you in and out of court over it when ever they decide to. It's not a right if you have to grovel at their beck and command to beg for it back at their pleasure.

dodgetoyz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    It never was a RIGHT. It's not a right if your wife can just yank it at here whim or government gestapo can yank you in and out of court over it when ever they decide to. It's not a right if you have to grovel at their beck and command to beg for it back at their pleasure.
    Point well taken there.:D

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    If my wife found me passed out next to my gun she wouldn't think that I am suicidal and have me sent to the looney bin.

Perhaps there is a bit more to the story here ?

:yesway: Yeah, you're not the first guy to get drunk around guns....especially in Indiana. And you don't get diagnosed with PTSD for getting drunk. There's more here. What was the trauma that you are having a post stress disorder from? I'm guessing that's documented with the state.

I'm about to commit a cardinal sin here but....maybe your wife is right?

Still as I look at my license it only specifies a revocation coming into play for an improper or reckless USE of a handgun. By chance did you pop off a round while drunk?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    You could call the place where you have to go and see what their procedures are. If you are a vet with PTSD, there is a chance you can get you medical records to assist with the determination. Above all else, do not say anything negative about you wife and what she did. Position it as if she did the right thing, but it was simply uncalled for in that situation and would never be as it relates to your mental health.

dodgetoyz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    no I didn't pop off any rounds and there is a long history of mental issues in my family, and like I said, I had been depressed. But not suicidal. I am not a vet, but I have seen my share of death and destruction. Enough to warrent the ptsd.

Top Bottom