Another gun dropping from a Holster in Columbus and going off...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Way to many people don't know how to quit being idiots.

I was at a birthday party today (mom is a daughter of a former babysitter when our kids were little) for a 1 year old set of twins down in West Terre Haute. (yeah, I know, that explains it) Baby-daddy (never met him before) reaches in his pants and pulls out a little Ruger to show me, he hands it over, I accept. As I look at it, first thing I notice is the loaded chamber indicator up. Now I was carrying my 1911 at the time, (condition 1) though I doubt he knew it, and I'm not against carrying with one in the chamber. I just said "Nice" and gave it back. That was a teaching moment, yet I didn't react because I've been so conditioned not to cause a scene by my wife. In her defense, and mine, I typically don't do "tact" well, pretty blunt and to the point. However, what responsible person would just hand over a loaded piece to a guy he just met? Call me non-trusting, but I never would do that.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Most modern guns have firing pin blocks. Are there really that many people carrying guns that don't have them?

According to the article the gun was a 22. So I am actually not sure what types of safeties it might have had. Also said the gun was in his waistband. Regardless there are a lot of people carrying guns out there that are not very knowledgeable. Fuel for the Antis. Some will scream 'training' but we all know that won't help. I say that based on the number of auto accidents every year. All we can do is be good stewards for carry and try to help people as we go.

I have added holsters as a discussion in even my most introductory pistol courses. Holsters are an essential piece of safety equipment.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    How do guns fall out of holsters? I've never had that happen to me or came close.:dunno:

It's called a cheap holster. When I first carried I had a nylon IWB holster. I loosened my pants to tuck my shirt and the holster flipped upside down and my Glock fell out. I was so new I did not have one in the chamber. Soon after I got a real holster and carried +1.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    How do guns fall out of holsters? I've never had that happen to me or came close.:dunno:

I've never had one fall out but I have noticed in one holster I used to use that, from time to time, the friction-type retention had to be snugged up a bit...I'd noticed the firearm didn't fell as secure as I would prefer. Could have been something like that happened. But since it was a .22, I might be wrong, but I'm thinking he had one of those cheap, nylon holsters with little retention.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I once had a holster fall out but the gun stayed in. My t-shirt was tucked in too tight so I gave it a tug and bloop, out popped my holster. Luckily I caught it before it fell. :n00b:

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    It's called a cheap holster. When I first carried I had a nylon IWB holster. I loosened my pants to tuck my shirt and the holster flipped upside down and my Glock fell out. I was so new I did not have one in the chamber. Soon after I got a real holster and carried +1.

I have also had it happen with a holster I wore one time before throwing it away. I had purchased a new snubbie and wanted a holster to get me through until I could find a higher quality leather holster. I bought a cheap nylon holster made by somebody's uncle. I think his name was Mike. :whistle:

The packaging said this holster was made for my gun. Shortly after I holstered the gun, I dropped something. As I bent over to pick it up, my revolver tumbled from the holster to the ground. Silly me, I though I had improperly seated the holster. I picked up the gun, re-seated it in the holster, and proceeded to try to pick up the object. Yep, you guessed it. The pistol tumbled to the ground a second time. I promptly walked to the nearest trash can and threw away the holster. Luckily, the gun did not fire either time.

Lessons: Never buy cheap holsters. Test the secure retention of your holster. Personally, I avoid all holsters made by somebody's uncle.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Cheap guns in cheap holsters carried by cheap minded idiots.........WTF

I bought a cheap holster once. Used it once and threw it away.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    One of these days a kid will be hit by this type of moron and than heck is going to break loose. People make jokes about business with no gun signs, well here is why some businesses have these, they don't believe it will stop robberies, it's to prevent law suits.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Way to many people don't know how to quit being idiots.

I was at a birthday party today (mom is a daughter of a former babysitter when our kids were little) for a 1 year old set of twins down in West Terre Haute. (yeah, I know, that explains it) Baby-daddy (never met him before) reaches in his pants and pulls out a little Ruger to show me, he hands it over, I accept. As I look at it, first thing I notice is the loaded chamber indicator up. Now I was carrying my 1911 at the time, (condition 1) though I doubt he knew it, and I'm not against carrying with one in the chamber. I just said "Nice" and gave it back. That was a teaching moment, yet I didn't react because I've been so conditioned not to cause a scene by my wife. In her defense, and mine, I typically don't do "tact" well, pretty blunt and to the point. However, what responsible person would just hand over a loaded piece to a guy he just met? Call me non-trusting, but I never would do that.

I was in a gas station the other day near downtown.. A younger looking female had a small glock in the front pocket of her capre' pants. I asked her if it was a 42.. She says no it's the new .38..assuming she meant 380 And pulls it out in the middle of the gas station to show it off.. My eyes got big... She pointed it in my direction .. Ill never ask anyone again

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One of these days a kid will be hit by this type of moron and than heck is going to break loose. People make jokes about business with no gun signs, well here is why some businesses have these, they don't believe it will stop robberies, it's to prevent law suits.

Bingo^^^^^^^^^^^^^

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was in a gas station the other day near downtown.. A younger looking female had a small glock in the front pocket of her capre' pants. I asked her if it was a 42.. She says no it's the new .38..assuming she meant 380 And pulls it out in the middle of the gas station to show it off.. My eyes got big... She pointed it in my direction .. Ill never ask anyone again

OOOOoooo...would you like to see my new gun.......AAaaarrrrrgggggggg

Top Bottom