First time I had to draw my handgun (in this state)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Early this morning at 2:30am I was awoken by my Belgian Malinois and German Shepherd that were going ballistic. I listened carefully and could hear tap tap on my side door (driveway). I looked out my bedroom window to see my driveway lit up by a vehicle I did not recognize.

I woke up my girlfriend AFTER I grabbed my Glock 30 and told her someone was knocking at our side door and to get ready to call the police. She looked out the window and said she recognized the vehicle as one of her girlfriend's boyfriends' vehicle. He is not welcome at our home and it is NOT normal for anyone to show up at my home at 2:30am. I knew that his girlfriend had left him in the last couple days and moved in to her own apartment because he has a few problems with drinking and drugs and his upbringing in mexico apparently has taught him that women are punching bags.

My girlfriend went to the door while I was getting clothes on (told her later that was a bad idea). I could hear her talking with him and he was whining like a little girl because his girlfriend had left him.

I stepped outside with my handgun to my side and immediately noticed his hand inside his coat. It looked like he was holding a weapon of some sort by the way his elbow was pointed up toward the sky and his arm/hand was not moving in position.

That was enough for me, considering his history and obvious desperation at 2:30am. I drew and aimed for center chest and told him to get the hell off my property and dont ever come back. I saw my girlfriend back in to the house out of the corner of my left peripheral vision so I knew she was clear.

Some may say why didnt I drop him in my driveway. Mercy...is all I can say, that and I didnt really feel like going down to answer a bunch of questions and have to lawyer up and all that mess.

I kept my sights on him all the way until he was in his vehicle and it was in reverse.

The split second he was staring down the barrel of my .45acp he immediately gave the look of deer in headlights and turned around and beat feet to his vehicle. I was prepared to use deadly force and would not have hesitated if he had made any move that even resembled danger.

I imemdiately went in to my house and called 911 to report that I had to draw my gun on a man in my driveway. I gave them his name and info and the 911 operator finished his last name before I could get it from my girlfriend! Apparently he had been over to harrass his girlfriend only hours before in terre haute. I guess maybe he thought she was at my home since she was not at her apartment. I gave the 911 operator his vehicle make/model/color and that he was heading south to terre haute on US41.

Here is the shocker. The operator asked me if I needed an officer at my home. I said no, I just wanted to report the incident so the assailant didnt try to turn it around and say I drew a gun for no apparent reason just to have the police surrounding my house. I cant believe they didnt insist on writing a report and meeting me. :dunno:

Hindsight I should have just held him on the ground at gunpoint and had the sheriff come out to pick him up. He is an illegal and was DUI, never had a U.S. Drivers license and had to be on drugs to show up at my home at 2:30am with his drama. He and I are not friends and Im sure it will stay that way since he met my Glock 30. :):

Ask questions and critique away...FREE FOR ALL!

Last edited by a moderator:

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    "looked like he was holding a weapon of some sort by the way his elbow was pointed up toward the sky and his arm/hand was not moving in position."

If his hand was in his coat how could you even remotely notice if he had a weapom? You stepped outside and then drew your weapon on him? Thats you breaking the law, not him...you pointing your gun at someone because they have their hand in their jacket? You should have never walked outside.... Call the cops next time and stay indoors, you going outside to confront him isnt self defense..

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Are you sure he had a gun on him?? Had you "dropped him in your driveway" and he wasn't armed you'd be in prison, right? Did he ever threaten you? I'm not saying he wasn't an idiot and needed to go, but had you "dropped him in your driveway." That would have been...the wrong choice...lol had he not presented a firearm.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    All of this could have been avoided if BOTH you and your girlfriend did not open the door and called the police instead. The nuisance would have most likely been detained by police and kept off the roads at a minimum.

Since your girlfriend went ahead and opened the door your best option would be to shut the door, lock it, and call the police. With your pistol in hand you would have no problem defending yourself if needed.

Your firearm should be your last resort, the police are (hopefully available) for a reason. I know hindsight is 20/20 yadda yadda... but I'm REALLY glad you did not fire on that person as everything you stated was not a clear cut case of self defense.

Take what everyone says and learn from it :dunno:

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    "looked like he was holding a weapon of some sort by the way his elbow was pointed up toward the sky and his arm/hand was not moving in position."

If his hand was in his coat how could you even remotely notice if he had a weapom? You stepped outside and then drew your weapon on him? Thats you breaking the law, not him...you pointing your gun at someone because they have their hand in their jacket? You should have never walked outside.... Call the cops next time and stay indoors, you going outside to confront him isnt self defense..

How was the OP breaking the law?

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    You got over zealous....nuff said. Had you "dropped" this man, as you stated in your post, you probably would have gone to jail. Could it have been he had his hand in his pocket because..oooohhhh....i don't know.....IT'S FREEZING OUTSIDE!!!!!

Why in the hell did you go to the door in the first place? Call the cops and be done with it! Was it because you knew the guy?

There are 10000000000000000000000 ways you could have handled this better, and honestly, i don't know where to begin....oh yeah....CALL THE COPS!

Not once in your post did I see where you, or your girlfriend had you life threatened or put in danger. This kind of dictates the brandishing of a firearm.

Last edited:

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Everyone can say you should have done this or should have done that...all I know is that when I get a knock on the door at random hours of the night, I go check it out with gun in hand (it has happened once so far in my current house), don't know about pointing it at anyone unless I feel threatened but it is hard to say without actually being in the situation.

As for the brandishing & threatening - since the OP called the police and stated his actions I'd say he is OK since they didn't really seem to care :dunno:

I agree that the cops should have been called first so they could hold the guy to sober up or whatever, and handle the situation, but in the heat of the moment I'm not sure if I would have actually reacted any differently.

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    I'd like to see the code that would back that up.
    IC 35-47-4-3 Version a
    *****Note: This version of section effective until 7-1-2014. See also following version of this section, effective 7-1-2014.
    ****Sec. 3. (a) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting within the scope of the law enforcement officer's official duties or to a person who is justified in using reasonable force against another person under:
    ********(1) IC*35-41-3-2; or
    ********(2) IC*35-41-3-3.
    ****(b) A person who knowingly or intentionally points a firearm at another person commits a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the firearm was not loaded.
    As added by P.L.296-1995, SEC.2.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    All of this could have been avoided if BOTH you and your girlfriend did not open the door and called the police instead. The nuisance would have most likely been detained by police and kept off the roads at a minimum.

Since your girlfriend went ahead and opened the door your best option would be to shut the door, lock it, and call the police. With your pistol in hand you would have no problem defending yourself if needed.

Your firearm should be your last resort, the police are (hopefully available) for a reason. I know hindsight is 20/20 yadda yadda... but I'm REALLY glad you did not fire on that person as everything you stated was not a clear cut case of self defense.

Take what everyone says and learn from it :dunno:
    Clear cut? Not self defense AT ALL!!!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    IC 35-47-4-3 Version a
    *****Note: This version of section effective until 7-1-2014. See also following version of this section, effective 7-1-2014.
    ****Sec. 3. (a) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting within the scope of the law enforcement officer's official duties or to a person who is justified in using reasonable force against another person under:
    ********(1) IC*35-41-3-2; or
    ********(2) IC*35-41-3-3.
    ****(b) A person who knowingly or intentionally points a firearm at another person commits a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the firearm was not loaded.
    As added by P.L.296-1995, SEC.2.

That was wayyyyy to easy a pwnage. lol

Top Bottom